This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Menu configuration options [SOLVED]

It's been so long since I first configured the menu and I cannot find where to do it any more. Right click on the menu sidebar brings up the "KDE menu editor" which is not what I'm looking for.

I want to replace the top part of the menu with my own selection of applications. Currently it shows "Recently Used Applications". Where is that configuration option?

Re: KDE Menu configuration options

Can't help as I'm using Lancelot but would mention it has a "favorites" menu that you can add entries with a simple right click option.

Comment

Old Jual - I assume you're using the "Classic" style rather than kicker?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        Old Jual - I assume you're using the "Classic" style rather than kicker?
        I'm not sure what that means. AFAIK the "kicker" is another word for the panel in KDE 3x. I don't actually have anything on my desktop at all, except a few directories and transient files. The menu is brought up by clicking on the desktop and it's just a vertical list. Is that a classic style? I remember setting it up a long time ago, either on this or another machine, and there were choices offered for the configuration. Where are those choices now?

sixonetonoffun: Can't help as I'm using Lancelot but would mention it has a "favorites" menu that you can add entries with a simple right click option.
        Interesting. Right click on what? I can right click on the border and depending on where, I get different menus. I don't get any "favorites" option though.

Comment

I might be using the wrong terms - but "Classic" is the XP style vertical list, "Kicker" style has table across the bottom of the menu.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            I might be using the wrong terms - but "Classic" is the XP style vertical list, "Kicker" style has table across the bottom of the menu.
            Sorry, I just get confused by the word "kicker" because within the KDE community it seems to be used for seemingly unrelated things. Anyway, I'm not sure about the XP menu off hand, but I guess it's like Fluxbox. That would certainly be logically called "classic". What I have is not across the bottom, but rather a vertical list in a frame - and it spreads out into sub-menus upon mouseover.

So, does anybody know where the configuration options for that are?

Comment

I'm still looking. How to configure the applications menu (and other search variants) does not bring up much. I really can't find any viable KDE documentation on the net, but one thing looked helpful:

Mandrake 9 (free download version), at the
              top, it shows recently opened applications.
              How do I clear this list, or make it so the
              list does not ever show up?
              I agree its a totally unwanted feature.

Control Center -> Look and Feel -> Panel ->
              Menus tab -> Set max no. quick start entries
              to 0.
              So now I know that the part I'm looking for is called "quick start entries". Now the next thing is to translate the above instructions from "Mandrakian" to "Kubuntuan". Any suggestions?

Comment

Not at all sure if this is anything like your trying to accomplish but you can see plasma-widget-lancelot. All the items under "favorites" are there because I added them (or were default entries) by right clicking them from the normal menu and "add to favorites". Image is a little fuzzy with transparency effect but gives the general idea.

[img width=400 height=384]http://www.mydevshed.com/uploads/image/lancelot.jpg[/img]

Ouch I just noticed your using Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron not sure what options were available for that.

Comment

Thanks for trying sixonetonoffun! I certainly appreciate the effort.

This is actually a very difficult question because someone is going to have to remember what was happening a couple of years ago. Obviously I can't. In fact it is looking like there is some kind of collective amnesia. I posted the question on the KDE community forum as well and no one has answered yet. The KDE documentation makes no mention of it either. After some hours of searching, I think I'll just have to accept that there is not going to be an answer and mark this question as [UNSOLVABLE]. lol

In case it will twig someone's memory here is a png of my menu:
                  [img width=145 height=400]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy217/Eyonymus/Computers/bits/menu.png[/img]

Comment

W00t! I've stumbled upon the solution.

This is one of those situations where an option was taken out of System Settings and put somewhere else.

Right click on the Kicker, and a menu comes up which includes "configure panel". That is where the "Menus" option can be found.

There are "show the applications most frequently used", and "show the applications most recently used", and one can also chose how many items. I'm sure many people have used this, and like me, have been there in the past, but had forgotten how to do it because it is so odd.

It's amazing that no one here could remember either. I also posted on the KDE community forum and no one there knew the answer. That just shows how important it is to refrain from putting configuration options in hidden places when there is no documentation.

Comment

Re: KDE Menu configuration options [SOLVED]

I was given an even better solution. I don't know where one can find any documentation on KDE commands but this is a lot better and more reliable than having to click in odd places. To bring up the menu configuration options one need only issue the command "kcmshell panel". Brilliant!

Comment

Working...
                      X