This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to get flash nowadays [SOLVED]

The file path in 8.04 is different than here in 10.04. However, in 10.04, the "plugins" location /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so is a link to /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so, meaning that here, only one instance of the actual libflashplayer.so file exists. Would having more than one actual instance of the file affect you some how?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How to install Adobe Flash Player 10 in Ubuntu 8.04 (32 bit and 64 bit Hardy heron)
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
        locate libflashplayer.so
        /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
        /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
        /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
        You unpacked those three files from the archive you downloaded from Adobe. That means all three of those files must contain the same binary data. I downloaded the archive from Adobe, so my file must contain the same binary data as yours, and the MD5 hash of all these files must be the same.

Code:
        $ md5sum "$( locate libflashplayer.so )"
        6b96f76f89b9f565a01f36b2abacd052 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
        If the md5sum of any of your files matches the one shown for mine above, then that file is the Flash 10 plugin.After we determine which, if any, of your files is the Flash 10 plugin then we can link it to where Firefox can find it.

We need to know where Firefox is loading Flash 9 from. If Flash is not loading at all, then we need to know where your other plugins are loaded from. We can then put a copy or symlink to libflashplayer.so (the one which we know for a fact is Flash 10) in that location.

Open an empty tab in Firefox and enter aboutlugins into the location bar. That should list all your active plugins and the directory they are loaded from. For example, here is what my about:config shows for Flash 10 (see attached image #1):

Edit

You might also want to verify that you and I downloaded the exact same archive.

Code:
        $ md5sum install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
        e4cb4d26124605a54c3d498cc440368f install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
        Attached Files
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Ok guys, many thanks thus far. I'll have to return to this tomorrow (about 12 hours +/-). Thanks.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

First off, thanks Ole Juul for your invitation to post this issue.

Geez, I had no idea this would be such a big deal. Update:

Reviewed this thread and took the tip to update Firefox from version 2 to 3.6.6 (btw, through Ubuntuzilla). Doing that and not downloading any plugins, that allowed this "problem" site to play:
            http://bp.concerts.com/gom/kwellsreliefwells062710.htm

Then, for good measure I installed from the .deb file and without problem Flash:
            Shockwave Flash
            File: libflashplayer.so
            Version:
            Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53

For fun, I then tried the main bp video site, and it did NOT work:

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...ov_stream.html

"Click here to download plugin."
            Then,
            "No suitable plugins were found."

For the heck of it, I tried to install RealPlayer from the plugin finder service and then using the RealPlayer site, and from the deb file:
            https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7

But RealPlayer would not install because of:
            Error: Dependency is not satisfied:
            libasound2

However, sudo apt-get install libasound2 tells me that the latest version is already installed.

That's where I'm at:
            the main bp site will not play because of a missing plugin that is not identified;
            and
            RealPlayer will not installebecause of a falsely identified missing package dependency.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Then, for good measure I installed from the .deb file and without problem Flash:
              Shockwave Flash
              File: libflashplayer.so
              Version:
              Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
              You didn't say where that output came from, but I assume you have the latest Flash 10 player now. Is that correct?

For fun, I then tried the main bp video site, and it did NOT work:

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...ov_stream.html
              The video stream embedded on that site is not flashvideo. It requires a plugin to interface with your system's media player. On my Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy system the video plays just fine with the MPlayer plugin for Firefox. If MPlayer is already installed and working on your Kubuntu system then you can install the same plugin for it and try again.

Code:
              $ aptitude show mozilla-mplayer
              Package: mozilla-mplayer
              State: installed
              Automatically installed: yes
              Version: 3.50-1ubuntu2.1
              Priority: optional
              Section: multiverse/misc
              Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>
              Uncompressed Size: 1839k
              Depends: firefox-3.0 | firefox-2 | mozilla-browser | galeon | epiphany-browser | konqueror, libc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-21), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0),
                   libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-21), libx11-6, libxext6, mplayer (>= 1.0~pre5) | mplayer-nogui
              Conflicts: mplayerplug-in
              Replaces: mplayerplug-in
              Provides: mplayerplug-in
              Description: MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla
               mplayerplug-in is a Mozilla browser plugin to allow playing embedded movies on web pages using mplayer.
              But RealPlayer would not install because of:
              Error: Dependency is not satisfied:
              libasound2
              That's the Alsa library. IIRC there is an optional package to add support for Firefox. You may be able to find more information by digging into this page.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

@ Telengard
                OK. Got it using your post above re mplayer and mozilla-mplayer. Everything seems to work as it should now. (I abandoned trying to use RealPlayer--no need for it, really.)

Many thanks for your patience and for all the good details you gave.

Btw, I see did not disregard your excellent post in Reply #32, I see where you were going there as I've had to do similar with other stuff (e.g., java jre plugins--building correct links to correct locations). But I considered your comment re upgrading FX from version 2 to current 3.6 and figured that was the FIRST proper step I should take. While at Ubuntuzilla, I also upgraded my T-Bird from v 2 to the current version, so this whole exercise was very worthwhile.

Thanks, again, to Ole Juul for entertaining this relevant but distinct diversion!
                Thanks, Telengard.

Comment

You're very welcome, Qqmike. It's just awesome to know you got it working

@ Telengard
                  OK. Got it using your post above re mplayer and mozilla-mplayer. Everything seems to work as it should now. (I abandoned trying to use RealPlayer--no need for it, really.)
                  You're better off for it. Real is an even bigger abomination than Flashvideo IMHO.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Version problem fixed

I had also a lot problems with: "the adobe flash plugin has crashed". First, I made a new user, and logged in. There, Youtube, etc. worked fine. So, something was wrong with my normal user firefox-files. Then, I tried ideas above and removed and installed different versions of flashplugin. It did not help. Then, I noticed those mentioning old versions of flashplayer, and wondered if it was some configuration problem. It was. I solved the problem the following way:

In an editor, I opened the plugin register for firefox:
                    ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat

I searched the lines about flash and found:

/home/myusername/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so:$
                    :$
                    1182299468000:1:7:$
                    Shockwave Flash:$
                    0:application/x-shockwave-flash:Shockwave Flash:swf:$
                    1:application/futuresplash:FutureSplash Player:spl:$

This told me that firefox used the libflashplayer in my home: ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
                    (I also deleted a line referring to an old version of flash. A line similar to:
                    Shockwave Flash:$
                    but with some version number)

I chekked the player with:

ls -l ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

It was from 2007! I fixed this:

cd ~/.mozilla/plugins/
                    mv libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.soXXX
                    ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so

That is, I linked to the flashplayer installed by:
                    aptitude install flashplugin-installer

I could also have changed the path to libflashplayer.so. in pluginreg.dat

Comment

Interesting Flemming and thanks for posting. What version of Kubuntu are you using?
                      In my case on an 8.04 system I don't have any ~/.mozilla/plugins/ directory.

Comment

Working...
                      X