This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get flash nowadays [SOLVED]

I just did an upgrade and it gave me a new kernel and two libs. I don't remember the names of the libs but the kernel was 2.6.24-28-386. Unfortunately now some browsers don't work properly. In particular I would like to get flash back.

I am running Kubuntu 8.04 and the Firefox is version 3.6.6. This machine has been working properly for several years now, so all the correct software should be there. I checked for adobe-flashplugin and flashplugin-nonfree and they were still there. However just to make sure, I updated and did the following:

"sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin" -> says "no installation candidate"
    "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree" -> says "already the newest version

Also, in desperation:
    "sudo apt-get install gnash" -> worked
    "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jre" -> worked

Still, opening Firefox to a page wanting flash -> displays "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed"
    Clicking on something wanting flash in Epiphany, causes the whole browser to immediately crash.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: I went to the Adobe site and got a .deb from there and:
    "sudo dpkg -i install_flash_player_10_linux.deb"
    That made no difference to either browser. BTW: FF gives me that "oops - we can't recover" greeting.

Re: How to get flash nowadays

(1) Was that the ONLY site that needed Flash that crashed?
    (2) Can you provide the URL for the site that crashed?

In other words, maybe it's not Flash that's causing your problem. Not that I'm an Adobe fanboy, (actually, the opposite) just checking an alternative explanation for your problem.

Comment

Thanks for answering askrieger.

I don't quite understand flash, but I'll go looking for some other sites. Unfortunately, I'm unsure about how to diagnose that. How do you know if something is using flash? All I know is that flash makes music play in browsers. lol

I do know that some sites play music in a different way that always works. For example SKY.FM works here. Is that java? Anyway, the one which crashes is CBC - any channel.

Edit: Oops, of course, a good place to check is YouTube. I just did that and FF again says "Flash has crashed".

Edit, edit: The message when clicking a YouTube video in Epihnany is: "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video."

Comment

I have the "flashplugin-installer" installed, along with the "kpi-plugin".

I also downloaded flash_player_10_linux_dev.tar.gz from
        http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
        by selecting the tar.gz version, and then running as root the binary which unpacked from it.

I have no problem running the channels I tried on the CBC website.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks GG. Those are easily doable suggestions so I will try them after coffee and report back.

Comment

@Juul, you might just rip out Firefox and reinstall it fresh. It's hard to tell how much cookies and other junk it has picked up.

Code:
            sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox
            The other thought I had was, I'm really liking chromium-browser on sidux. I might just install it on Kubuntu and see how it works. Youtube videos are playing very nicely (all the ABBA hits from the 70s ....).

Comment

Having similar problem. Everything--you tube etc.--runs OK (videos in FX) except now and then I get a message, Install latest Flash Player 10 version.
              Ex.: http://bp.concerts.com/gom/kwellsreliefwells062710.htm
              (I can't run it. Or links to bp video that gg has posted.)

Frankly, I don't fully see how to do this:
              http://www.adobe.com/products/flashp...ons/#section-3
              Installation instructions for tar.gz
              1. Click the download link to begin installation. A dialog box will appear asking you where to save the file.
              2. Save the .tar.gz file to your desktop and wait for the file to download completely.
              3. Unpackage the file.
              4. Copy the libflashplayer.so file to the plugins folder of your browser. Refer to your browser vendor for the location of this folder.
              5. To verify the plug-in is installed in your Mozilla browser, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.

(using 8.04.3 but that's irrelevant as I've always had this problem)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

LL 10.04 here. I have only installed flashplayer-nonfree which installs flashplugin-installer which downloads/installs the Flash Player from the net.

paul@mybrainonlinux:~$ locate libflashplayer.so
                [sudo] password for paul:
                /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
                /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
                paul@mybrainonlinux:~$ ls -la /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 2010-07-05 10:34 /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
                Firefox (version 3.6.6) shows (aboutlugins):
                Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
                Version:
                Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
                Firefox displays the http://bp.concerts.com/gom/kwellsreliefwells062710.htm just fine - video and sound.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog, nice and clear!
                  Hmmm.
                  I get:
                  File name: libflashplayer.so
                  Shockwave Flash 9.0 r277
                  And:
                  locate libflashplayer.so
                  /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

Somehow, no recent upgrade to 10. (I also have Medibuntu). Maybe I just copy the new (downloaded .so) file to /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/ ...
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

version 10 flashplayer-nonfree is already installed. It just isn't being recognized/used at certain sites. Another To Do list item ...
                    Sorry, Ole Juul, didn't mean to crash in; noticed the striking similarity. Outa here now.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                      Sorry, Ole Juul, didn't mean to crash in; noticed the striking similarity. Outa here now.
                      Go for it. The subject obviously interests me at the moment. lol
                      OK, I'm back from coffee and ready to do battle. .... back soon. (hopefully)

One thing, although Firefox is buggered, Euphifany crashes.

Comment

Well, ok, then ...
                        I reinstalled flashplayer-nonfree 10 (using Synaptic), and still get the same result when trying to open the site I linked above, says I need to upgrade to the latest 10 version etc...
                        Enough of this for me tonight; relegated to To Do.

Comment

So far:
                          uninstalled Firefox.
                          removed the .mozilla directory
                          re-installed Firefox.

That caused both Epiphany and Firefox crashes on encountering flash.

I then looked in FF under Addons -> Plugins and noticed that there
                          were two entries for "Shockwave Flash". One says 10.1 r53
                          and the other says a whole bunch of stuff including "Flash movie player version .4.12 compatible with Shockwave Flash 4.0 etc." I can disable it but not remove from there. Disable and restart FF and at least it doesn't crash, but still no joy. The Adobe site has a checker and it gives me thumbs up for v10 and everything else when the 4.0 "thing" is disabled. I would like to remove it completely, but have no idea where it comes from or what it is called.

If anyone has any idea on how to unistall Firefox completely, I would be grateful. sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox and rm -r .mozilla does not clean the slate.

BTW: In ADDONS -> languages there is a Firefox (fy-NL) 3.6 which cannot be uninstalled from within FF. In Adept manager the mozilla-firefox-locale-fy-nl package shows as not installed. I have no idea why it shows in FF or where it came from.

Comment

Interesting. I removed the v10 flashplayer with apt, and then reinstalled the .deb. Now Firefox says I have V9!!. No I don't have that package version in the same directory (if at all). I typed:
                            sudo dpkg -i install_flash_player_10_linux.deb
                            I wish I could do some serious surgery with the rm command, but I have no idea where this stuff is coming from. Hence I can't remove it or uninstall it.

Comment

The situation is still that Firefox shows a blank when confronted with flash a d Ephinany crashes.
                              Changed is that there is no longer any ADDONS -> languages which is fine. An improvement is no mysterious fy-NL. Of course all my setup is gone and I am here trying to read sanserif which I never really learnt to do, but that can be changed later.

Here is what I've done so far:

ole@SCO:/usr/lib$ sudo rm -r swfdec-mozilla
                              ole@SCO:/usr/lib$ sudo rm -r firefox-addons
                              ole@SCO:/usr/lib$ sudo rm -r firefox-3.6.6
                              sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox
                              sudo apt-get install firefox
                              sudo rm -r adobe-flashplugin/
                              sudo dpkg -i install_flash_player_10_linux.deb
                              - Unpacking replacement adobe-flashplugin ...
                              - Setting up adobe-flashplugin (10.1.53.64-1) ...

uninstall swfdec-mozilla
                              install swfdec-mozilla
                              reboot

And here I am. A couple of reasonably functional browsers and no Flash.

Comment

Working...
                              X