This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: kde4.0.1 taskbar question(solved)

Snowhog thanks for the clarification with your .jpg screenshot. Now I hope I can explain my problem more clearly.
    1. My terminology was definitely wrong. The new terminology I must stick to is panel (instead of the windows "taskbar").
    2. My panel looks similar to yours.
    3. What I cannot do is add applications to the panel (such as the Konsole). When right-clicking on any application in the K>application list, the program gets opened and ready for use. A drop down menu with options doesn't appear so I can't add the app to my panel.
    4. The other problem I have on the panel is placing the widgets where I want them on the panel. They are placed on the panel by the computer (and sometimes re-arranged differently for no reason) and that's how they stay. I cannot move them or manipulate them manually. The panel widget menu is unlocked so that doesn't seem to be the reason.
    5. If you want (and will explain how )I can post a jpg of my panel on the thread
    Errol

Comment

Quote from here:
      http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/

The new panel controller lets you easily resize and reposition panels. You can also change the position of applets on the panel by dragging them to their new position.
      Attached Files
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Just a silly question:
        do you have the following installed?
        kdebase-plasma-kde4
        kdeplasma-addons
        kdeplasma-addons-data

check in synaptic/adept

The other problem I have on the panel is placing the widgets where I want them on the panel. They are placed on the panel by the computer (and sometimes re-arranged differently for no reason) and that's how they stay. I cannot move them or manipulate them manually. The panel widget menu is unlocked so that doesn't seem to be the reason.
        Maybe you simply have a mouse button configuration issue?

systemsettings->keyboard&mouse

Can you open kmenuedit? right click kmenu->Menu-Editor.

If so you can find the apps you want on your panel and drag the app to panel.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Before I reply to your questions Fintan I want to thank you and Snowhog for getting me a bit more of'e with the Panel. I still have some learning to do as you'll see from my answers to your questions AND a new problem I caused.
          1. I did have plasma KDE4 installed
          2. There were several addons added when I checked the addons
          3. I might have a mouse problem but all my trials to solve it and allow a right-click as I used to have (in KDE3.x) don't change anything.
          4. I can get to Menu editor and add apps to the panel that way.
          5. So all in all things have improved with your help but I still have a lot of tweaking & learning to do.
          And now for the new problem which is a descendant of the old one.
          While tweaking the bottom panel it disappeared (I moved it too much and it was wiped off the screen) and I can't get it back there. I added a new panel and set it up but it is a the top of the screen and I can't move it from there.
          As I said a lot of learning to do.

Comment

Another thing to check is that your widgets aren't locked. If you right-click the desktop you may see an option to Unlock Widgets. Locked widgets can be very ornery. :-)

Comment

They aren't locked. The option is to lock them, meaning that they are unlocked (I hope )

Comment

Working...
              X