Clear All

Re: Installing Eudora 8

Howabout the much simpler:
    ark --extract-to /usr/local /home/peter/Desktop/Eudora-*

Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Hi All - Back again - feedback

I tried the ark -- extract to - and it worked too and in hindsight it seems that the "Extract" option when right clicking on the zipped file does just what the ark command does. - so all is well in that court.

I had Eudora 8 installed and running (I have been using Eudora since Win 3.0) and as I like to have both inbox and outbox open (to see the files) at the same time I tried everything to get it to do this but it would not.

Then I downloaded Thunderbird and it it almost identical (alluded to on the eudora web page) to Eudora 8 - a couple of buttons different - but same in operation to Eudora 8 - both inbox and outbox available sequentially but not simultaneously.

Next was to download WINE and install Eudora 7.1 (which I currently use on xp) and that worked as I wanted it to.

The only niggle with all downloaded packages (Firefox, Thunderbird, Eudoras, GNUCash etc) is (my) the inability to change font sizes on the task bar (Menu bar?)

Accessing "system settings" /appearance/fonts /change all (or individual) fonts seems to only change the font size and the task bar size on Open Office but nothing else.

Serif size 9 is too small for me - I do not need glasses but will soon if I keep using that. I can do it in windows so it should be able to be done here but nothing I can find seems to work.

Apart from that migration is starting to work along with my understanding of Kubuntu linux - thanks again for all the help

Comment

Go to System Settings, Appearance, GTK Styles and Fonts, and change you font setting there for none KDE apps, such as TB and FF.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for that reply - yes it worked for FF and GNU Cash - great - I thought I had looked everywhere but obviously not in front of me.

The only thing it did not work for was Eudora 7.1 running in wine but I guess if that is all then I will have to live with it but learning is fun.

As an uncle said to me once (quite a while ago) "knowledge is no weight to carry"

Regards
          Peter

Comment

it is the best for the beginners.
            Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 <br />VAIO VGN-FS415M

Comment

Working...
            X