This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardy heron problems and bugs

No i am running kde 3.5.9. I think this problem happen when i use "expo" to change desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      The built in "Restricted Drivers Manager" was buggy when it first came out in Gutsy...
      Just a note to some: Your experience with the Restricted Drivers Manager also appears to depends on the hardware you have installed. I have an nVidia 9600GT using the nvidia-glx-new driver, and it doesn't show up in the proprietary manager. The same system with a 7600GT, does show the entry. The problem is that the 9600 is simply too new (but works) to be recognized by the drivers/utilities.
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

My card is 8800gts. Normally i have to see the driver and i have seen them one week before but not now :P

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1

Just a note to some: Your experience with the Restricted Drivers Manager also appears to depends on the hardware you have installed. I have an nVidia 9600GT using the nvidia-glx-new driver, and it doesn't show up in the proprietary manager. The same system with a 7600GT, does show the entry. The problem is that the 9600 is simply too new (but works) to be recognized by the drivers/utilities.
          I think that's probably right. When I first tried the Restricted Drivers Manager in Gutsy Beta, I had a 7900GS. The RDM insisted on using the nvidia-glx driver, when the nvidia-glx-new was clearly the right choice at the time. So I installed the downloaded driver myself. Then I upgraded to an 8800GTS card, which was a relatively new design (early December) and tried RDM again -- it barfed. So I installed the downloaded driver myself. I think it's probably fine with the earlier hardware, it just isn't recognizing the new ones.

Comment

The Envy script seems to be the best solution, although we do have to wait when a new version of *buntu comes out in alpha.

Kev

Comment

I still have the problem with nvidia driver. It seems that the only way to install the driver is envy. I have done everything to see the hardware manager my card but nothing happens. I have unistall-install all the nvidia and restricted packages but not working. Finally i have install the nvidia-new package manual but then the xserver crash. I dont know why this happen and the only way is envy

Comment

Envy doesn't seem to be helping me at all. I did all of the installs it requires. But I have my same problems after using it:

1. kdm comes up in 800x600 with a request to configure it. The only driver available from that screen is the default nv driver (not the proprietary nVidia driver).

2. I can get past that screen and get 1280x1024 resolution on kdm.

3. I log in and every KDE application runs dog slow. No GL applications work.

4. I run lsmod and the nVidia module is loaded.

So, I don't know what the hell is going on. I have had the same problem ever since I installed Hardy. I can run Gnome okay, but other uses can't. They get no window decorations on running programs. I do, but they don't have sudo privileges.

Comment

Maybe we can break this list down and make a little progress -- I'll give it a shot.

Originally posted by jcphil
                  Envy doesn't seem to be helping me at all. I did all of the installs it requires. But I have my same problems after using it:
                  The only "help" that Envy is expected to provide is a clean installation of the appropriate Nvidia proprietary driver. Does it do that -- do you see the Nvidia splash screen prior to the GUI login screen?

1. kdm comes up in 800x600 with a request to configure it. The only driver available from that screen is the default nv driver (not the proprietary nVidia driver).
                  I'm not sure what screen this is -- is this the "Restricted Driver Manager"? If so, just close it, and don't ever open it again. Same goes for "System Settings > Monitors & Displays".

Instead, how about doing the following sequence:

1. In a Konsole window, run
                  Code:
                  sudo envy -t
                  This is the Envy installer in text mode. Observing the process, do you see any indication of errors? If so, please post them. If not, proceed ....

2. I'll assume you started the X server again. Open the Konsole and enter
                  Code:
                  sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
                  to overwrite the xorg.conf file with one that has glx and compositing enabled. Now restart the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and log in.

3. Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" with no quote marks. This will run the Nvidia settings utility in Super User mode. Click the X Server Display Configuration item, and then set the screen resolution the way you want it to default. I recommend you leave the refresh set to "Auto" so the driver can adjust to changing display demands. When you have it set the way you want, click the "Save to X Configuration File" button in the lower right corner, leave the check mark in "Merge ..." and click "Save". This will set the default for you.

Now verify that it is working right by restarting the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

2. I can get past that screen and get 1280x1024 resolution on kdm.

3. I log in and every KDE application runs dog slow. No GL applications work.

4. I run lsmod and the nVidia module is loaded.

So, I don't know what the hell is going on. I have had the same problem ever since I installed Hardy. I can run Gnome okay, but other uses can't. They get no window decorations on running programs.
                  Hopefully, these issues are more or less irrelevant now.

I do, but they don't have sudo privileges.
                  Uh-oh ... have you been running the X server as root? That's a major no-no! That may be the explanation for some of the problems you've had. It's kind of like sprinkling "permission problem dust" all over your system. :P

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    Sound got broken, and then got fixed via the kernel update. Flash is gone, as far as I know (will try tonight after updates).
                    I assume it's a different problem from mine, but my sound controls are broken now, the listing of channels is weird (ex. no longer PCM, but there's "Pcm2" which doesn't do anything) and my laptop keys just make the display toggle between 90% and 100%, also with no discernable effect. Then again I seem to have a hell of a time with kmilo regardless, my volume button is stuck controlling the wrong channel on my Gutsy 64-bit desktop

I absolutely adore the KWIN effects, they're easily good enough for me, but on my (intel GMA950) laptop if I enable them the screen loads as black the next time I log in . . . although I haven't tried that in awhile, maybe it's time to give it another go This is the kind of thing that has me addicted to using Alphas and Betas.

Comment

Here's your link to the *buntu sound troubleshooting guide, Keith:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

I'd start at the beginning and just go through it until you find something not quite right.

I dunno about your GMA950 and video stuff -- AFAIK the GMA950 can run compiz and kwin just fine, so there may some developmental bug in HH at the moment. I always hesitate to say things like this, but HH and KDE4 are running so smoothly that it is scary, on my rig. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by vista killer
                        I have and a problem when i run compiz-fusion with the appearance of some programmes like adept,amorak. They windows looks confused. This thing happens when i work to other desktop and after i return in desktop that the programme run. Take a look to this screen shots

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=adeptti9.png
                        http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amarokul1.png
                        I have the same problems, appears when burning a DVD in K3B, but also in Ktorrent and other software, looks like the text keeps rewriting itself without getting rid of previous text, but that is just a noob speaking ;-0

Nvidia GT 7600 Video card, Compiz running, Intel Dual Core, Kubuntu 8.04 32 bit version with old KDE, not version 4

Comment

I just upgraded to the new release of Hardy Heron by upgrade not install. Now it seems that my hard drive is constantly chattering (seeking). How can I stop this before the hard drive fails
                          Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by vista killer
                            Other problem was the appearance of gtk applications. It seem that the option to use gtk applications the kde style is break...
                            How can this be for a released OS... that type of quality does not help grow the brand.

Comment

Working...
                            X