This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy heron problems and bugs

I have just upgrade to hardy heron and i like to write about some problem i have. The first problem is with the new fonts. I use kubuntu since dapper and i think the hardy fonts is the worst. They are not clear and you cant work for many hours with these fonts. Very ugly and very bad. I hope to change this.
    Other problem was the appearance of gtk applications. It seem that the option to use gtk applications the kde style is break. Here is some pic from the problem

http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ynapticbj5.png
    http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?i...starterwe1.png

And finally i try to install nvidia driver from the new tool hardware drivers manager but this tool is not working at all.

Re: Hardy heron problems and bugs

Originally posted by vista killer
    I have just upgrade to hardy heron and i like to write about some problem i have.
    Welcome to the soap opera! Hardy is getting better quickly but remember that it truly is still in Alpha condition. It's MUCH MUCH MUCH better than it was just 3 weeks ago though.

The first problem is with the new fonts. I use kubuntu since dapper and i think the hardy fonts is the worst. They are not clear and you cant work for many hours with these fonts. Very ugly and very bad. I hope to change this.
    Go to the KMenu, if you're using the new menu you should see "system settings" right there. If you're using the "traditional menu" widget then go to system/system settings and then go to Appearance and then Fonts. Then on that window enable "Anti-Aliasing" and click on the "configure" button and enable "sub-pixel rendering." Now this next one is really important set your fonts to 96dpi or 120dpi depending on your viewing preference. I use 96 myself. This should improve your font rendering dramatically!

Other problem was the appearance of gtk applications. It seem that the option to use gtk applications the kde style is break. Here is some pic from the problem
    www.kde-look.org has a script to help GTK programs look better in KDE4 I have not used this myself so I can't recommend or offer any advice... but it's available to you. It's rated very high so it might be worth looking at. I dunno.

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=74689

And finally i try to install nvidia driver from the new tool hardware drivers manager but this tool is not working at all.
    I wish I could help you with this one.. but installing nvidia-glx-new didn't give me gl shaders. It could still be a bug I dunno.

Hope this helps!
    Kev

Comment

MoonRise gives good advice.

The built in "Restricted Drivers Manager" was buggy when it first came out in Gutsy, and I have never really trusted it since then. I have far better luck with the Envy script installer.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

MoonRise gives good advice.
        Me too.

LOL!

The built in "Restricted Drivers Manager" was buggy when it first came out in Gutsy, and I have never really trusted it since then. I have far better luck with the Envy script installer.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

How wise is it to use Envy on Hardy considering we are playing musical Kernels?

Kev

Comment

Hey dibl I now have GL Shaders enabled!!! sweet!!!

Kev

Comment

Aha! I noticed that Alberto added an Envy version for Hardy the other day. I haven't tried it yet (already had installed 169.12 the hard way). But, that should be the easy way to do it.

Congrats -- can Compiz be far behind?

Comment

Second day with hardy. I still have the problem with sound after the last kernel update. I find i was mistake that kubuntu have problem with gtk programmes. The problem is with all the programmes when you open them as root. Take a look here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/200612

Comment

And some little problems in hardy. There is a tool "search desktop " in task manager but is not working, the pager is not working correct with compiz-fusion and finally i have check the option to remember the system my last session but is not working, and i have to open manualy the programmes.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  Aha! I noticed that Alberto added an Envy version for Hardy the other day. I haven't tried it yet (already had installed 169.12 the hard way). But, that should be the easy way to do it.

Congrats -- can Compiz be far behind?
                  Yup the hardy script works great. There was the standard problem of dependancies but apt-get fixed that for me (seeing as Synaptic still won't play nice).

Is Compiz getting more stable? I find the new KWIN effects are nice enough.

Kev

Comment

Hi,

I have today installed HH, and i also used the tool hardware drivers manager.
                    It worked like a charm for me, installed nicely the 169.12 nvidia drivers.

HH is the 1st distro that did the right job for my nvidia geforce 8800GT. Most other distros including beta, alpha releases, just throw an older version on my system, causing my screen go on black

Nice job kubuntu folks

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH

Is Compiz getting more stable? I find the new KWIN effects are nice enough.
                      Compiz is the one thing that HASN'T broken this week on mine, and that includes the compiz updates that came in over the weekend.

Sound got broken, and then got fixed via the kernel update. Flash is gone, as far as I know (will try tonight after updates).

But compiz is absolutely solid (knocking on wood here!).

EDIT: WOW, I just updated and checked it -- flash works on CNN, Foxnews, ABC, BBC, Youtube ... golllllllly, what next, Java?

Comment

The hardware device manager is not working for me. What package you have for the drivers Ralph67?. And anyone else have problem with beagle search tool? I think is not working.
                        Compiz is very fast and stable in hardy without problems. I think they have fix and pager and is working fine with compiz in kde 3.5.9.

edit:i am ok with the driver.I dont have install the linux- restricted-modules for my kernel. Now the driver manager working fine. I have some problems again with adept. Sometimes when i use it to search a package is close. I think synaptic remain the best package manager.
                        And at last anyone else have this problem?
                        https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/200612

Comment

Glad you got it fixed.

Cheers
                          Ralph

Comment

I have and a problem when i run compiz-fusion with the appearance of some programmes like adept,amorak. They windows looks confused. This thing happens when i work to other desktop and after i return in desktop that the programme run. Take a look to this screen shots

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=adeptti9.png
                            http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amarokul1.png

Comment

Yes, I see that too. Are you running KDE4? I wasn't sure if it is HH or KDE4 that is responsible for that problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X