This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Java in FF or Konqueror

If you visit a site that incorporates flash into it's infrastructure, and you don't have the flash package installed, Firefox will usually crash.

In Firefox, click the "Edit" dropdown menu in the menu bar, and choose "Preferences". Click the "Content" tab and make sure the "Enable Javascript" and "Enable Java" options are checked. Then try it again.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

They are all checked, I've also reinstalled the icedtea plugin and it's now stopped crashing. I just get a blank screen when testing java here - http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Comment

Did you install JAVA via Adept?? See Sun Java (RE) from Unicornriders webpage.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by 0xygenMask
          They are all checked, I've also reinstalled the icedtea plugin and it's now stopped crashing. I just get a blank screen when testing java here - http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
          I don't get anything there either; I think that deals more with the impenetrability of iptables (the default *buntu firewall) than with the functionality of your Java plugin, because it attempts to "detect" which version of Java you're running. If you aren't having any other problems visiting Java sites, and Firefox has stopped crashing, I think your done! (Correct me if I'm wrong )

Edit: Snowhog, you're definitely right about Sun's EULA, but I think IcedTea is FOSS (at least, Adept's description states it is part of the OpenJDK project :P).
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I (think) I'm inclined to agree. If one did not install Sun-java* but IcedTea instead, I'd doubt that Sun's Verify java Installation site would work. After all, that site is expecting to detect/confirm installation of Sun java - specifically.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's not just the Java testing that's showing a blank. I still get a blank display when I go to speed test site that uses java, like this one here - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Comment

Is the entire page blank or just a portion of it?
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Just the part needed for the speed test...

Comment

The problem is more than likely that those sites are testing for Sun's java specifically, as Snowhog pointed out. Since you are using IcedTea Java, those sites aren't detecting it. Try watching some videos on YouTube.com, they use both flash and java; if it works, you should be in good shape, if not, we'll try something else.
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

OK I have a 64bit system and ran into the same problem with the java plugin. Flash and everything else is working fine just no java. Here is a link to a page I found that has a solution. I ran the script and it worked for me. Now everything works including java plugin.
                      http://tghc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4

Comment

Working...
                      X