X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Java in FF or Konqueror

Hi

I've installed 7.10 last night, 64 bit version and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be running except Java. I have installed it using Add/Remove wizard, and accepted the T&C when asked during the installation. But when I tried to view web pages with Java embedded, I get message saying plugin not installed.... I also get the same message when viewing web pages using Konqueror.

Any idea of how to solve this?

Thanks

Re: No Java in FF or Konqueror

Which package have you installed?
    Have you tried it on several pages?
    It works for me after install sun-java6-plugin or j2re1.4-mozilla-plugin packages

Comment

Yes, I have been to several sites including the official Java page I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apps, still getting the same result

Comment

humm... I think that firefox plugins are stored in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
        Check that you have a libjavaplugin.so file there.

Probably it will be a link. In my case is a link to /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so, that is again a link to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
        This file is from sun-java6-bin package.

sun-java6-plugin package looks almost empty, so I guess that it only makes the links in the firefox plugin directory to the right files, but you need it.

Comment

If that doesn't work, try installing the icedtea-java7-plugin (if you're on Gutsy); you can also install the ubufox package which will integrate Firefox better with (K)Ubuntu and allow you to install the Firefox plugins from the repos within Firefox.
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by eismann
            humm... I think that firefox plugins are stored in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
            Check that you have a libjavaplugin.so file there.

Probably it will be a link. In my case is a link to /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so, that is again a link to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
            This file is from sun-java6-bin package.

sun-java6-plugin package looks almost empty, so I guess that it only makes the links in the firefox plugin directory to the right files, but you need it.
            Thanks for the info, I think I will have to look into this a little bit more as I don't have ...plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so in my 'jrv' file, only the 'bin','liv' and 'man' file.

This may partly explain why my Java isn't working

Comment

eismann has it right, I think. If you have Java but not as a plug-in, then you must build your own plug-in using soft links. Not difficult, but detailed, and we could help if you go that way. That is to say, sun-java6-jre is only JRE (Java Runtime Environment), not the plug-in link to FX.

Or, easier:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

gets you Java (JRE) and sets it up as the FX plug-in for you.

Test it:
              JAVA test site (Java Runtime Environment, JRE): http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
              (If you have NoScript as a Firefox add-in, you must click on the NoScript icon "temporarily allow java.com" to run this test.)
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                eismann has it right, I think. If you have Java but not as a plug-in, then you must build your own plug-in using soft links. Not difficult, but detailed, and we could help if you go that way. That is to say, sun-java6-jre is only JRE (Java Runtime Environment), not the plug-in link to FX.

Or, easier:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

gets you Java (JRE) and sets it up as the FX plug-in for you.
                Nope, I just tried it and got this -

compaq:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
                [sudo] password for *****:
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                Package sun-java6-plugin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
                This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
                is only available from another source
                E: Package sun-java6-plugin has no installation candidate
                compaq:~$

Comment

Worked for me in Feisty just now. (I haven't yet got Gutsy up to test it there.)
                  It fetched a bunch of needed stuff and went ok:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/web/sun-java6-plugin
                  (multiverse)

mike@mike-desktop:~$ apt-cache search sun-java6-plugin
                  sun-java6-plugin - The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6
                  mike@mike-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
                  . . .
                  After unpacking 93.1MB of additional disk space will be used.
                  Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
                  . . .
                  Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/multiverse sun-java6-bin 6-00-2ubuntu2 [26.2MB]
                  etc etc
                  Setting up sun-java6-bin (6-00-2ubuntu2) ...
                  Setting up sun-java6-plugin (6-00-2ubuntu2) ...
                  Setting up sun-java6-jre (6-00-2ubuntu2) ...

--done--
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Mehh. No such package on Gutsy 64-bit.

Comment

Gosh, too bad. Thought I had this one nailed down.

Back to eismann's idea of manually making the link which makes the plug-in:

I did this in Kubuntu 6.10 kernel 2.6.17-11. Hope link technology hasn't changed in Gutsy

Summary of the method:

Install Firefox. Install JAVA Runtime Environment. So now you just have to make a link from the Firefox plugins directory to a special JAVA file (used for this purpose).
                      Open Konsole.
                      Navigate to your Firefox plugins directory using cd (change directory).
                      From there, make a symbolic link to the file libjavaplugin_oji.so (which is located within your JAVA files).

To show an example of the method:
                      The hard part (if there is one) is clicking around in Konqueror to find where everything is. Or, at Konsole, using the find command:
                      find / -name the-name-of-the-thing-I'm-looking-for -print

My Firefox plugins directory is /usr/lib/firefox/plugins .
                      The path to the JAVA file libjavaplugin_oji.so is: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

So, at Konsole:

cd /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
                      ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
                      exit

That's it -- your download is now a FX plug-in.

Comment

I believe the sun-java6-plugin has been replaced by the icedtea-java7-plugin in Gutsy, which was what I was prompted to install when I attempted to load a web site requiring Java (I have the ubufox package installed). I'm not wasting my breath, I'm really quite sure it is the package you need if you're running Gutsy, I mean, unless you just feel like creating your own plugin.
                        Asus G1S-X3:
                        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Well, I think I'm on the right track. When I installed the icedtea plugin, the 'missing plugin' message from FF have disappeared. The problem now is that FF crashes when I try to test it at the Java site

Comment

Do you have the flashplugin-nonfree, libflash-dev, libflash-mozplugin, and libflash0c2 packages installed?
                            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Yes to all the above, but I don't understand why you're asking about flash plugin...

Comment

Working...
                              X