X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i386 on AMD64 ?

Hello !
    i have some prblems with installing i386 on amd 64...
    install freezes and says something about processor scaling not supported..i have tried 7.10 live cd and alternate install cd and hardy alternate cd. is there anything i can do?

Processor : AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    AMD Boxed Cooler
    motherboard : MSI K9VGM-V
    memory : 1024Mt
    250Gt SATAII 7200rpm
    graphics card :VIA Delta Chrome 256Mt
    DVDRW: 20x DVDRW Dual Layer
    sound card : 8-channel
    lan : 10/100Mbps

Comment

It is 6 days from today for the Beta release, and 6 weeks from today to the final release of 8.04. Since you are having some trouble with the 7.10, and you have no system, I wonder if your time would be better spent working with the new version? That is a decision for you.

If it were me, I would carefully (burning at 4X speed) make a Live CD of Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 6, AMD-64 architecture. Then see if you can boot that CD, and test the features of it on your hardware. That's a nice fast hardware platform. The only risk item is Via graphics -- Linux is not famous for its excellent Via drivers, but you might want to search on Ubuntu Forum and see what you can learn about that Delta Chrome 256MT. Also, you did not name the sound card model -- you might as well find out with the Live CD if you're going to have a problem with the audio.

You could do the same thing with the 7.10 64-bit Live CD, but 8.04 will be a LTS release, so I would think you would put your time and efforts on that one.

Comment

that 8.04 alpha 6 sounds interesting but i have fear that i cannot get flash and java working correct..
        that`s why i am rather try installing i386 (that should work okei on amd 64?)

if i install that 8.04 Alpha 6, AMD-64 architecture is it hard to get java and flash work?

soundcard is integrated to motherboard.. that is not problem cause i have one sounblaster live which i can install to the computer..and that works on my older computer(kubuntu 7.10 i386)

Comment

Originally posted by Argos
          Help came from an unexpected direction: i plugged a USB hub, not even powered externally, and plugged both keyboard and mouse to it. It Worked!! no more halts.
          Ah I wish I found this place sooner ... I learned that lesson mid last year. :P I talked about it on that other board. Currently, we're using all of our c521s with server installs to push web-based apps, so no real use of the console and no desktops are installed.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by turboapc
            if i install that 8.04 Alpha 6, AMD-64 architecture is it hard to get java and flash work?
            I can confirm that Flash works in kubuntu amd64 without any problem.

For Java... I don't use Java at all so I have no idea, but amd64 should have few problem.

Comment

Originally posted by pansz

For Java... I don't use Java at all so I have no idea, but amd64 should have few problem.
              Actually I tested my system on the Sun Java site last night and was slightly amazed to see it working correctly in FireFox 3.0b.5. It was interesting that the text message said that I didn't have the latest version installed, but the little "Duke" was dancing happily, so I'm calling it "working". That has not been the typical result on prior tests, however.

Comment

Working...
              X