This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i386 on AMD64 ?

is it possible to install the i386 version on an AMD 64 machine ?
    I&#39;ll tell you all my secrets, but I&#39;ll lie about my past<br /><br />http://www.thebizneeds.com

Re: i386 on AMD64 ?

Yes; what are you looking to install?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

i have a Dell Dimension C521 machine with AMD64 CPU, and i installed the latest Kubuntu 7.10 AMD64 version on it, but i'm encountering so many problems like software incompatibilities as well as hardware problems.

so i thought maybe i'll try and install the i386 version instead, hoping it'll solve the problems i have.
      I&#39;ll tell you all my secrets, but I&#39;ll lie about my past<br /><br />http://www.thebizneeds.com

Comment

I misunderstood you a little . . . I thought you were speaking of installing 32bit software in the 64bit version of Kubuntu. You shouldn't have any problems at all running a 32bit distro on your AMD64 processor
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by Argos

i'm encountering so many problems like software incompatibilities as well as hardware problems.
          Really? I have found the rumors of 64-bit problems vastly outnumber the real problems. If I list all the real problems that I am aware of with 64-bit, here's my list:

1. Java Runtime Environment
          2. Music Player at Rhapsody.com

that's it.

What problems are you attributing to the 64-bit OS?

Comment

currently i have hardware problems (i believe that's the case) like mouse hangs so i have to restart Kubuntu in order to restore mouse operation, the system won't restart or shut down unless i force it with the power button (screen just goes black).

at least i solved the problem with Firefox and flash

Comment

There are no mouse issues with 64-bit that I've ever heard of (I admit I haven't heard of every problem in the universe). Probably it is an issue with your xorg.conf file, vis-a-vis the mouse model that you are using, rather than a 64-bit issue. Is your mouse "special" in any way?

ALSO, when you think your system is "frozen", follow this guidance to avoid causing further problems with that power button:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088251.0

Comment

That guide has rescued me numerous times - memorize it, especially if you're going to be experimenting with config files
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

i saw another topic in this forum addressing the same problem - the mouse hangs. and it's the same manufacturer - Logitech. Mine is a standard mouse, nothing special about it.

Since i'm still a newbie to Linux, i don't know how to separate an X problem with true system hang. i will remember your tip about the shutdown (alt-SysReq). I also replaced the mouse with a different one - a USB Microsoft mouse.

Comment

Is your Logitech a USB or PS2 mouse?
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                      Is your Logitech a USB or PS2 mouse?
                      it's USB

Comment

Try this: log out and press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a terminal shell; exit KDM with the command
                        Code:
                        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                        Back up your current xorg.conf with the following command:
                        Code:
                        sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
                        Then, create a sample xorg.conf in your /home directory with the command
                        Code:
                        sudo Xorg -configure
                        It will contain important information you can add to your actual xorg.conf. Then, restart KDM with
                        Code:
                        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
                        Login, and edit your X.org config with Kate as root:
                        Code:
                        kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                        Open the xorg.conf.new file you created in your /home directory, and add everything in the "Module" section to the "Module" section in your xorg.conf. If you don't have a "Module" section, create one.

Then, identify your USB mouse with
                        Code:
                        cat /proc/bus/input/devices
                        It should look something like
                        I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c03f Version=0110
                        N: Name="Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse"
                        P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-2/input0
                        S: Sysfs=/class/input/input3
                        U: Uniq=
                        H: Handlers=mouse1 event2
                        B: EV=7
                        B: KEY=f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
                        B: REL=103
                        Make note of the event* (in bold). Modify your mouse section in your xorg.conf to look like this:
                        Section "InputDevice"
                        Identifier "Configured Mouse"
                        Option "CorePointer"
                        Driver "evdev"
                        Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
                        EndSection
                        The "evdev" driver is specifically for use with USB mice. Replace "event2" with whatever you determined before, and leave the "Identifier" subsection the same (don't change it to "Configured Mouse" if it's anything different). Then, save and exit Kate, logout, and press Alt+E to restart your Xserver. If you get back to the login screen, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You successfully modified your xorg.conf Log back in and test your mouse; if it doesn't work as it should, check out this link with some more advanced USB mouse configurations. Try to find your model and make the appropriate changes.

Let us know how it goes.
                        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Thanks integr8e, i will give it a try.

In the mean time i searched the Internet and came up with this discovery : it seems that there is a series of Dell computers, all of them share the same problem: USB Mouse, and sometimes the keyboard too, halt. even unplugging and plugging again might not help. And this happen not only on xUbuntu but on other distro's of linux.

Dell have issued a BIOS update under Windows that suppose to handle that problem, but i cannot run it.

Also, Dell have created a Linux set of tools and updates for Firmware and BIOS , covering different models - but not for my model yet (Dimension C521). But i guess it's bound to come sometime.

Help came from an unexpected direction: i plugged a USB hub, not even powered externally, and plugged both keyboard and mouse to it. It Worked!! no more halts.

Comment

Awesome!!!
                            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by Argos

it seems that there is a series of Dell computers, all of them share the same problem: USB Mouse, and sometimes the keyboard too, halt. even unplugging and plugging again might not help. And this happen not only on xUbuntu but on other distro's of linux.
                              Heh heh heh ... so, I take it we're all in agreement there's nothing wrong with 64-bit Kubuntu, eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X