Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to backup Kubuntu to recover it easily in case of system crash??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to backup Kubuntu to recover it easily in case of system crash??

Nice post Matchless -- sounds like a way to go.

and ...
    More food for thought on this topic of backup also at:

How To Backup Operating Systems, IgnorantGuru:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3094854.0
    (demonstrates Partimage and other things)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy
      I actually just backup the /home Directory. Ubuntu takes roughly 15Minutes to be installed from scratch... The Space on harddisk to store it all is wasted IMHO
      I'm with Smurphy on this one. Since the days of MS DOS 2.2, I have adopted the philosophy of "Backup data, not software".

Of course, the more recent versions of Windows are kind of an all day ordeal to install and configure -- my wife's 3 year old garbaged-up Windows XP box really needs to be re-installed but when I think of the pile of CDs that I'm going to have to find and organize, for all the drivers, it kind of makes me feel tired already ....

But I installed Hardy Heron a week ago, and it took maybe 2 hours to install the OS and all the updates and the packages that I wanted, and then to set up the panel and everything else I need to be productive. My data are all on separate hard drive partitions, except for my VMware Player, which I saved off on a USB stick before I re-formatted and reinstalled Kubuntu. So I don't see the time and energy spent backing up the OS as being worthwhile -- it's too easy to just install it fresh, if necessary (which isn't often, by the way).

Two cents' worth.

Comment

Fair play - I just back home my private data, not even my home partition. However, there is some folks with fancy software (gsopcast for example) which is a pain to install and all those handy notes on how it was done "are lost". A reinstall in that case is not exactly desirable, same as a total backup of the os.

Is there a middle way?
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Gee, making us all think about this.
          I hope it's not the case that I don't back up anything ...
          Naw. I do. Kind of like toad does.
          All my private data is always backed up somewhere and many-where's, including the Firefox and Thunderbird profile folders.
          That's all, no software backups.
          Of course, I always do have a live persistent Kubuntu flash drive all set up with my settings, email, and Firefox, ready to go.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Well, the stick is a grand idea and as you may remember I've got one, thanks to your howto, as well I suppose best option would be to remaster the os as one wants it and then dump it on a CD or stick or DVD or whatever.

Still a bit labour intensive - and if one finds another oh-my-god-I-can't-live-without-this-piece-of-superduper-software the remastering starts anew.

Come to think of it, what one really wants is a mixture of apple's time machine combined with remastersys/reconstructor/uck (for kde 8)) which can then be dumped on a stick... Any developers out there
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
            X