Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to backup Kubuntu to recover it easily in case of system crash??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to backup Kubuntu to recover it easily in case of system crash??

Hello!

I would like to know how to backup completely my Kubuntu system on a CD/DVD or external Hard Drive.
    I would indeed like to have a restoration DVD of my Kubuntu OS with all my settings, preferences and softwares, which I could easily use. I mean if there is a crash I would just like to put the DVD in the reader and then to get my system exactly as it were when I did the backup...
    Is it possible and how?

I have tried to read all the posts dealing with the subject on this forum but either they are too old or they are using command line, whereas I am looking for a easy-to-use software for such a backup and recovering.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Re: How to backup Kubuntu to recover it easily in case of system crash??

Well there is this:

http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

and this:
    http://www.remastersys.klikit.org/

http://lifehacker.com/software/linux...sys-330181.php

I hope that points you in the right direction and welcome to the party

Eitd: there is a gui for remastersys as well google will show you the way
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I actually just backup the /home Directory. Ubuntu takes roughly 15Minutes to be installed from scratch... The Space on harddisk to store it all is wasted IMHO

one of the old ones ...

Comment

That is where aptoncd comes in handy
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yes ... probably.
          As I however have some servers with no GUI etc. - I had developped a long time ago something myself
          http://stargate.solsys.org/mod.php?m...=16&expand=yes
          It uses afio as Storing engine - as it's way easyer to exlude files from compression, and when compressing - it's done first, and then written to archive.

Big advantage of that is - even from corrupt archives (What happesn quite often on CD's) - you can still extract data

But I'll keep aptoncd in memory Nice tip Didn't knew it ... My background was with Redhat since Version 1.0
          one of the old ones ...

Comment

Partimage is a popular (free) program you might look into. I know people who use it exactly as you are indicating, and they restore a system in 5-7 minutes after a crash.

In Linux (and Windows thru XP), the dd command is used for image backups.
            There are some issues you must be comfortable with before using dd, though.
            Here's a VERY basic intro how-to on dd:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090824.0
            => see the reference on AwesomeMachine cited there. He backs up his whole hard drive to an identical hard drive using dd (i.e., he clones his hard drive).
            I use dd to back up my root partition.
            dd takes a bit of study.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You are right on that - dd is actually what I used for ages, but lately just for storing the MBR - but even that I omit now.
              The Issue with dd is that it takes long to backup a 500GB Drive ... Especially of compression is to be activated
              one of the old ones ...

Comment

The special DoD version of dd called dcfldd is available (free) on the live Helix CD, and it goes faster (and I think safer; also has a progress monitor). AwesomeMachine shows an example of piping the dd output to a zip function.
                But, yes, you are also right--This all takes some "custom, careful touches."
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Nice thread, nice links. Thank you.
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thank you for all your answers.

I looked on the Internet for other infos.
                    It seems what I would like to do is a "System image" or "ghost" and not a standard backup.

I found some interesting material in French here
                    http://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/s...-systeme-ghost

and I think I will try to use Partimage after installing Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

I looked at Partimage and used it to backup my / and /boot directories,
                      but it won't touch my /home directory because its encrypted.

Is there a similar program that I can use to backup encrypted partitions?

Thanks.
                      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

It is also not recommended to use dd on encrypted partitions, fyi.

Comment

I was wanting to use remastersys, and it would't install on kubuntu 8.04 via apt-get.

Comment

Which repository did you use? For reference, this one works just fine for 8.04:

Stick it at the end of your /etc/apt/sources.list then do a
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get update
                            followed by
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get install remastersys
                            It will work
                            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I have a bootable rescue disk with Acronis Disk Director and just reboot from the disk and save a complete image of the Ubuntu installation to a portable usb hard drive. It only take a few minutes.
                              Restoring is done in the same way, boot, select the image file and restore it to your hard drive, again within a few minutes you are up and running.
                              With this method i have images of kubuntu, ubuntu, edubuntu as well as an XP one and can fall back to anyone or just use to test or demonstarte.
                              Regards<br />Matchless<br /><br />Proudly kubuntu!

Comment

Working...
                              X