X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cant boot into latest kernel

Originally posted by Snowhog
    !@!!! NOW that simply can't be!! /dev/hda1 is the main partition that you have your system installed on. It's the same partition that is referenced by the 'working' system.

Qqmike hasn't yet posted to this thread (has he?). I think that there must be something going on in the GRUB boot loading that isn't quite right. What you are experiencing should not be happening.
    Snowhog,

It can be happening. I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm not installing to a USB device, just a standard EIDE hard drive, and this was an upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy. Otherwise exactly the same symptoms. I've also changed from UUID to drive path (/dev/hdb5) and I get the same results as the original poster. I'm browsing this thread to hopefully find a solution. Also, I don't think the problem is due to GRUB, I think it's either with the new kernel or with initramfs.

Thanks,
    Rick

Comment

Richard, did you ever get past this error with the original HDD? I'm having the same problem right down to my system not using the newer /dev/sd path, still on /dev/hd. Did you try the Bios settings?

Thanks,
      Rick

Comment

Parenthetical note: RickKnight, If it is the initramfs, one standard repair for that is the following (and it's all I know about it):

Initrd Fixing
        Suppose the broken partition is sda2. From the Live CD, chroot into the sda2 partition.
        Issue the following command:
        sudo update-initramfs -u -v
        and let it run and put things together & right for your initrd.

Chroot
        To chroot into sda2 from the Live Kubuntu CD at Konsole:
        sudo mkdir /media/fixthings
        sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/fixthings
        sudo chroot /media/fixthings
        (Now you are “in” sda2 as root and can work from there as if you were actually booted into it.)

If the update-initramfs does not work, or hangs, you would try to repair initramfs-tools:
        First, and doing a chroot into the broken partition, from Konsole, uninstall it, then re-install it:
        sudo dpkg –configure -a
        sudo apt-get –purge remove initramfs-tools
        sudo apt-get install initramfs-tools
        Then, try the update-initramfs again (as above).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qqmike,

I'm not saying initramfs is broken, I just think it might be missing whatever kernel module is required for my on-board IDE controller. But then I think my CD/DVD drives are working. I'll have to check tonight. If my IDE CD/DVD drives are also not being recognised that would indicate that a driver is not available, correct?

Thanks,
          Rick Knight

Comment

Working...
          X