• Show
Clear All

Re: cant boot into latest kernel

unfotunately that didnt work either

Comment

Did your grub kernel line look like this? If not, please try again
      Code:
      kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=88b0fb01-9809-4ca2-9e58-1462613b126a root=/dev/sda1 ro
      I am still not quite sure how you got the hdX into your system. You installed 7.04 and updated to 7.10, right? I recently did that on a wubi installation and also ran into problems, but nothing like this! Not surprising though 'cos it all runs in a virtual disk...

Let's wait and see until the gurus are back if the above doesn't work.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

/dev/sda1 does not exist, dropping to shell

Comment

I haven't studied each and every post here in detail, but I did scan through it. dibl's idea to start fresh makes the most sense.

Sure doesn't look like a GRUB issue, does it? Not from the first post here, where those error messages are. Looks like a kernel issue—missing modules and such. Has anyone googled on some of those error messages or the key works contained therein? I just recently also learned how having some small, slight thing messed up in your root files can trash the whole show, and THAT may have happened during the upgrade (Feisty -> Gutsy). Have you looked inside your /boot directory to see what's there (like the vmlinuz kernels and initrd files)?

On GRUB, unless I look more closely here and see something else, the only thing one could do is re-install GRUB from a grub> prompt (you know, the root – setup – quit routine); that would make sure that everything is in place, GRUB-wise.

I'll look some more here for awhile, too (but may get some interruptions).
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Just reading the first few posts ...
            Questions, issues

Does wine have anything to do with this problem—anyone know?
            (“Edit hdb1 is a second hard drive that has all my wine installation (world of warcraft ventrilo and the like)”)

Re-installing GRUB (this will NOT harm anything; in fact, it's not a bad idea now and then! If it does harm something, that is also not a good sign of things being installed correctly):

Boot into Kubuntu (Recovery).
            Open Konsole.
            Type
            sudo grub
            That gives you a grub> prompt, at which type each of these followed by Enter:
            grub> root (hd0,0)
            grub> setup (hd0)
            grub> quit
            $exit

still reading ....
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Along the lines of dibl's post #28:

Do it again as dibl indicates, but manually type it instead of copy/paste

(yeah, I may be goofy now and then, but I actually HAVE many times had problems with copy/paste into menu.lst – in fact, I will not do it any more using OOo Writer, for example.)

... still reading (on page 3 now) ...

Comment

Darn, I don't yet see it either. What toad said is also true: Gutsy no longer uses hdx; it is now all sdx (along with UUIDs) (long story why, and I can give you the reference, but no time here for theory... )

So far, just the things I mentioned:

dibl's idea but instead of copy/paste, manually type it--type the entire boot stanza for 14-22 as dibl indicated.

And re-install GRUB (see above post).

I'm just wondering if the upgrade had a problem working from-to the USB drive. And strange that Gutsy sees drives as hdx instead of sdx.

(BTW, I have installed Kubuntu 7.04 & 7.10 to external USB drive--no problems at all; my How-TO GRUB on Thumb Drive here details how I did it, but there's nothing special about it, certainly nothing that applies here to this problem.)

Comment

ok i just finished rebooting from the manual retype and i got a new error

could not mount the selected partition

im just going to have a look to see if i mistyped anything

Edit: yes i did going to try and reboot now and see what happens

Comment

ok after reboot it still hangs in the same place and i get the same error

Comment

So, then, that leaves it to "re-install GRUB" (as indicated above root-setup-quit).

Comment

just thinking out loud here...along with dibl...

USB ... in-place upgrade to a new version ... hdx's instead of sdx's (toad) ... hmmm... Sure does not sound like a "normal" situation

(btw, toad, you may not have all that crap with the stars and #posts, but I'd call you a guru right NOW it's easy to increase your #posts -- maybe not honest ways, but easy ways ... 'course dibl, you really have it down! don't know how you could cover so much Kubuntu/PC/Linux territory as you have (a compliment to you btw) )

Comment

Re-installing Grub would definitely be worth trying -- I agree with that. That last "new" error of "could not mount selected partition" makes me suspect that there is, or was, some "movement" of the partition ID between the original Feisty installation and the edits following the new kernel installation -- perhaps a BIOS change when a second drive was added, or something like that. I've got a sinking feeling that only a new installation of Gutsy is going to get BIOS+/etc/fstab+Grub into full agreement on where the heck that kernel lives. :P

Matter of fact, now that I think about it, I'll bet that partition ID problem was the issue behind the difficulty installing Gutsy from a Live CD or Alternate Install CD. :P

Comment

I think that last error (could not mount...) was because he typed a "1" where a zero should have been, but he fixed it.

Comment

Can any one clarify the drives: which is the USB?--it's the one with the data on it, right? And the 20 GB is the older IDE that has Kubuntu on it? (If so, I wonder if BIOS sees all this correctly? That must be on old drive? Back to dibl's comments about the HDD/partition IDs.)

Comment

The closest thing I could find is:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=649135

If I read it right, they used a Windows utility to erase the MBR data.
                                Then they re-installed Gutsy.

You might try to erase the entire 40 GB HDD where you have installed Kubuntu (is that correct btw?).
                                You can do this with the dd command – But use the special dd command from the Helix Live CD.

See my recent how-to:
                                dd Command
                                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090824.0

See where I erased (wrote zeros to) my sdb drive (160 GB Seagate SATA) using Helix and dcfldd command. Writing zeros to the drive makes it like new from the factory.

But PLEASE, PLEASE be careful to specify the correct of=/dev/sdx drive!!!
                                fdisk -lu should tell you which is which.
                                You do NOT want to erase your data drive! (Perhaps you can unplug it while doing this?)
                                And dd will not give you a recovery option.
                                This is rather serious stuff . . . Some might say it is irresponsible to dd the drive ... But what's the difference doing it that way versus the Windows repair CD used in the link?

Comment

Working...
                                X