This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gutsy Gibbon a Dead Loss?

I may be the odd man here but I upgraded from 7.04 using adept and followed the directions given. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Things went flawlessly, after about an hour and a half (I have a 1.5MB/s connection) things were downloaded and still running well. But then again, I am a little past the newbie stage and knew aforehand to blacklist or comment out non-regular repositories that I had.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Originally posted by Princey
      I may be the odd man here but I upgraded from 7.04 using adept and followed the directions given. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Things went flawlessly, after about an hour and a half (I have a 1.5MB/s connection) things were downloaded and still running well. But then again, I am a little past the newbie stage and knew aforehand to blacklist or comment out non-regular repositories that I had.
      This post is an odd one out, but I think this topic needs more of these to encourage people like me to go for the upgrade
      Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

Yes Gutsy Gibbon is a Dead Loss so please go back to M$

I get a bit tired of nitwits trying to be provocative with their subjects... I upgraded two of my machines and it went pretty well. However, I wiped and installed Gutsy on one of my machines and had to sort out a number of annoying problems with ndiswrapper, the ati drivers, etc that were not present on the machines I upgraded.

Comment

I upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10 using the upgrade button as well with no problems. The only issue I hit was I upgraded to the 7.10 RC and had the version upgrade button that when clicked told me I was up to date. Any other problems I had were 7.10 problems not upgrade issues as I have found out (had to do a clean install after my old hard drive died).

Comment

7.04 -> 7.10? Well, I'm having to post this from XP. That tells you everything...

Comment

Originally posted by type3
              7.04 -> 7.10? Well, I'm having to post this from XP. That tells you everything...
              ...and now I'm back in Linux!

Comment

For some reason that's a good feeling. Haven't figured out why. When I use XP it's OK, but when I'm back in Kubuntu I feel "comfortable" and . Glad you got it back up and going.

Comment

there are still simple bugs that have not been fixed yet

installing with no internet removes all download repositories (it should not do that) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/154095 (how to resove it as well)
                  the installer needs an second progress bar and the ablitly to Skip the apt stage when installing

simple things can still brake k/ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by leexgx

simple things can still brake k/ubuntu
                    That's true of every OS I've ever used. Even back in the days of my C64 running BASIC programs... very simple things would bring the whole show to a stop.

I think we should really consider what it means for the OS to be 'broken' or a 'dead loss' though. I've had Windows broken by installing game demos... changing video drivers... botched Windows Updates that got listed as complete but never applied... (uh ya that one was fun to try to figure out..... )

I've had some pretty bizzarre stuff happen in Kubuntu over the last two years too... BUT if you hang on there seems to always be some way of fixing it without having to reinstall the OS. Because we have access to everything, someone somewhere will know what to do and how to get there.

I also think we all tend to forget how complex a OS can be.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                      For some reason that's a good feeling. Haven't figured out why. When I use XP it's OK, but when I'm back in Kubuntu I feel "comfortable" and . Glad you got it back up and going.
                      Thanks dude, it's good to be back.

Comment

I personally like suse 10.3, but there are a few issues that keep me from running it. 1.) I cannot get the 3d effects to work at all, and the printer settings sometimes hang.

2.) I am running 7.10 and I like it. It is less bloated with software (which I like) and it appears to run ok. I like dolphin after the problem (favorite settings) has been fixed.

But, the KDM problem drives me nuts and when I use 3d effects, i get a black screen at startup. I also have problems in openoffice with 3d effects. When I try to adjust something in a (format>character-for example), I get a full grey screen with the adjustments in the upper left-hand corner.

I wish Kubuntu would have a nicer default login and splash screen. PCLinux, Suse, etc blow them away. Yes, I know you can change them, but I stil;l wish it was nicer.

Comment

Working...
                        X