This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy Gibbon a Dead Loss?

I was hoping to move from SuSE 10.1 to Kubuntu 7.10 for various reasons. Seeing all the posts here and in the Ubuntu forums makes me wonder whether that would be a wise decision. I know that most people who post here have problems but there seem to be more things going wrong than should be - in fact, the upgrade process seems a mess.

Are there any happy stories of installing and using 7.10 or should I go elsewhere if I want reliability and stability?

Re: Gutsy Gibbon a Dead Loss?

Well my gutsy has been fine since tribe5 and updated to final.
    I have no problems at all with stability, etc.
    Having read some of the posts here for the last few days it seems the update procedure from feisty to gutsy has many issues.

So my humble advice would be do a fresh install from the final alt CD or get the tribe5 alt cd and install from there and install synaptic package manager (I don't like adept). Do your updates (which will take some time) and run:
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    to see which version you have.

I hope this helps you in your descision

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I've been running 7.10 since Tribe 1, and had relatively few problems along the way - all things considered.

At the moment, my systems work fine with 7.10. These are the only outstanding issues I have personally seen:

1) Someone pointed out that Adept is telling people who upgraded from the tribes/rc that there is a new version available even when they've already updated. I wouldn't have even known this bug existed, since I mostly use apt-get from the command line or synaptic. It doesn't prevent Adept from working.

2) Yakuake vs. Compiz: Yakuake can crash X11 if you use multiple tabs, hide the window, and a program is still scrolling text in the first tab. This same bug existed in Feisty w/Beryl and even other distros, so it's not a 7.10 issue. I just use konsole when I want to open a bunch of tabs.

3) It's possible to go into SystemSettings and modify the KDM settings (particularly, doing anything that causes it to update the login wallpaper) such that kdmtheme no longer works for changing your themes. I fixed it by manually changing kdmrc back (set the wallpaper back to default_blue with no path). It should be fixed in a future patch, and in no way prevents you from logging in (you just get the default KDM theme when it happens).

4) It seems like if you leave ktorrent running long enough (days), it *will* eventually crash your desktop session. I saw the same bug in Feisty. I just don't download distro DVDs enough to have been motivated to find the cause, yet. It might be related to Compiz and ktorrent notification messages while the screensaver's running - because it never crashes the X session while I'm actually using the PC and it never seems to occur when I only have ktorrent seeding (not downloading) Kubuntu releases.

Everything else on my system works fine - 2 soundcards (onboard nVidia, and Creative card), nVidia 7600GT, Athlon64 X2 4400+, etc.

Of course, I'm *going* to break it all the second the first tribe of the next release is available. Because, it's fun. Heheh
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

I've been running Gutsy since Tribe 5 -- reconfigured my hardware and installed Beta and then updated it to the released version. I don't find anything that I would characterize as "instability" or "unreliability" -- just the occasional bug in some of the accessories, and most of them are leftovers from prior versions (System Settings>Disks & Filesystems, etc.).

Compiz, as included in the released Gutsy, is just as good as Beryl ever was, on my hardware -- I haven't crashed it yet, but I'll confess to using less than 100% of its features.

Overall, I'd say I have more problems with the stability of the operator than the operating system.

Comment

Overall, I'd say I have more problems with the stability of the operator than the operating system.
          I hear you all th way here in switzerland
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'll wait a few weeks (unless the SuSE people mess my OS more than they have already); then, I'll try installing 7.10 after archiving data etc.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Comment

It's not that bad.

There's a slight bug in Kopete that's a quick fix, and if you're a laptop user - I suggest being ready to fix the kmilo bug(If it effects you), and perhaps be ready to fight the challenge of being able to hibernate/suspend, or the alternative, uswsusp.

I have given up, and reverted back to Fiesty..

Comment

I updated to Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.10 but not without major problems. The update froze the 1st time so I had to rebuild my Xorg server. I had to restart the update process 4-5 times "Automatrix packages! ". Finally I got a clean 7.10 system but I advise users to be patient and know who to use the command line, apt-get, and how to rebuild Xorg, etc. I was not easy. When I got all this fixed I loaded OpenSUSE 10.3 on my 2nd HD all with the ReiserFS. Now to tune and fix those horrible sliding KDE kicker menu in SUSE.

Good luck!
                Billy in Sugar Land Texas USA <br />Dell Optiplex GX260/2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM / Dual 160GB HDD&#39;s, Nvidia GeForce FX5500 <br />Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 16GB SSD - Kubuntu 9.04

Comment

Mine works great since Beta release. No real complaints here!

Comment

Problems, oh yeah -- I had problems. I did a fresh install from an alt CD. I tried customizing the desktop first thing. That applet crashed. I launched it again, and after a few minutes... crash. Again.

So I figured some bugfixes were probably out there so I went to Adept... and I got the "New distro available" bug. For kicks, I let it try to see what would happen.

It error'ed out, as I suspected. But then something odd happened -- Adept stopped working. Oh, it loads, but actual installs don't do anything but cause the program to freeze.

Gut feeling? Kubuntu 710 is close, but not ready. I'm sure all of this can be explained away, but something tells me to steer clear on this one for a few months.

Comment

I had to install a kubuntu today on a friends machine. Tried with gutsy final. Same as above.
                      So I installed tribe 5, did all of the updates and have a nice working machine, compiz and all. Why doesn't the final install? No idea.
                      Even the gnome version installed fine but would not let us login to the username.
                      Yes /home was defined at install
                      Recovery mode didn't work either, well it did but wouldn't let me change/edit users/groups because I didn't have permissions , I am in root mode, right??.

I will try a kubuntu final Gutsy on my machine tonight and see how that goes.
                      Maybe someone from Canonical should start reading the threads from the last 4days and figure out what they want to do with adept. This is embarrassing to say the least.

The bug has been listed for 4days. No updates, nada.

A lot of these threads are from frustrated newbees who have followed the hype and I understand their frustration.

Yes, I am mad because his is just not "easy" for anyone. In alpha, beta, RC phase, fine. But after the final it becomes .... well.....

If somebody feels offended so be it. Kubuntu is great but is just an inch away from the real thing.

On the other hand as long as gnome rules we kde-lovers will always be playing 2.string.

Maybe the developers should get together with the mint kde-community guys.

Anyway keep on trucking
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well the live gutsy adventure was fun. Booted fine, went to install, everything was very fast good!! assigned my partitions and boot partition. Great off to install. Screen goes blank, press tabulator, no progess bar. Let it go for 40 odd minutes, nada.
                        Now for the alt cd
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I've had no problems since i stuffed the 7.10 cd in and installed anew.

That's not quite true - Firefox was a royal pain-in-the-bum, so i'm experimenting with Galeon and Epiphany.

The OS seems to be solid, and shut-down takes about 15 - 20 seconds, and never hangs.

Having said that - i will never use Adept to upgrade again.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                            Well the live gutsy adventure was fun. Booted fine, went to install, everything was very fast good!! assigned my partitions and boot partition. Great off to install. Screen goes blank, press tabulator, no progess bar. Let it go for 40 odd minutes, nada.
                            Now for the alt cd Shocked
                            rofl.

My update to Gutsy was more or less successful. Go with the fresh install. Try the live first and then try to install it. if anything goes wrong, forget about it.
                            suse10.1? why not try with 10.3. they say it's much better now, with installing packages too. I bought 10.3 just to test it today (i like my Kubuntu). Checked cd for errors as suggested. Great. Error. MD5 sum doesn't match so now i'm downloading it.
                            Really, considering moving from one linux to another is again down to would-the-machine-fit. There's nothing wrong with linux.
                            It's-not-the-linux. It's-the-machine

Comment

I am getting really sick of re-installing kubuntu. I get it installed update everything which takes about 20 hours total. everything seems fine. I reboot, everything is fine, I reboot again I get a black screen with a bunch of nonsense. I can't do anything except re-install. I've spent the last two weeks continually re-installing this OS. What the hell am I doing wrong. I have been a linux user for over 10 years. Ubuntu is the best I have seen so far but I need a system that works.

What can I do besides re-install. There has to be something I can do. revert back to an older kernel or something besides re-installing the whole damn thing over and over again.

Comment

Working...
                              X