Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What packages and tweaks do you generally do after a Kubuntu install?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What packages and tweaks do you generally do after a Kubuntu install?

I have to work around my sound problems on my laptop. I do think they should include some games, but I disagree with Firefox. Firefox certainly is a good browser, but Konqueror has good integration with KDE, and you can always install Firefox if you wish.

Personally, I think Frozen-Bubble, Open Arena, FreeCiv, Ltris, would be a great addition to the installer CD. I would also like GIMP, Thunderbird, and VLC to show up.

Comment

Firstly, I will play around to see any new changes in the new system & then install the new update package to the system.

I would also make every basic features work out of box first before really using them, such as testing the wireless, external Hard disk, graphic & sound to see whether they are functional. Then, i will install some useful package that did not be included during the installation such as mplayer+codecs, BMP, GIMP, adobe reader, firefox+plugin, thunderbird, pidgin and etc. After, all these basic things work and then I can enjoy using linux. The life can be as simple as that. Unfortunately, in fact, it might already took a whole day as I usually get problems to make everything to work, so I would usually search answers on the internet or ask questions here to seek help.

In conclusion, making the basic things work out of box first.

Comment

Originally posted by ijkn
        Firstly, I will play around to see any new changes in the new system & then install the new update package to the system.

I would also make every basic features work out of box first before really using them, such as testing the wireless, external Hard disk, graphic & sound to see whether they are functional.
        Very good advice. More than once I have installed a new distro, started customizing it, and then later discovered that something basic made it useless to me.

Somewhat related to this thread, a post at the Ubuntu Tutorials blog led me to try 64-bit Kubuntu. I had pretty much given up on 64-bit distros, but I think this one is a keeper. I've already solved the usual flash and java problems. The basics are working, now for the fun!

Lane
        Lane Lester
        The Web Doctor

Comment

Working...
        X