Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What packages and tweaks do you generally do after a Kubuntu install?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What packages and tweaks do you generally do after a Kubuntu install?

The things that I generally have to change after a Kubuntu install are:

1) Figure out a way to download ndiswrapper-utils -- why isn't this on the installer CD?

2) Install SMP kernel. -- why aren't all the major x86 kernels on the CD? It would be great if I could choose the SMP kernel on kubuntu install.

3) enable mp3, DVD and other media codecs -- this obviously can't be included by default.

So basically out of the 3 things I have to do after a Kubuntu install 2 of them really should have options to do on install. #1 and #2.

what do you install that you would like to have included on kubuntu installer?

I am just wondering if other people are doing just about the same things I am -- if so this would suggest that we need to look into adding these things.

Re: What packages and tweaks do you generally do after a Kubuntu install?

I agree with you about ndiswrapper-utils even though I don't use it. Eveything possible should be done to facilitate getting folks on the net as soon as possible and wireless is the biggest problem most new users face. I disagree about the kernels, though. There are too many kernels and some people don't know which kernel they should be using so I agree with the idea of installing a kernel everyone can use and then letting them upgrade as desired. Besides, have you considered how many kernels they would have to include?

Personally, I'd like to see the developers include Synaptic, instead of Adept. But Adept is getting better, I expect it to meet my minimum standards for usability no later than Kubuntu 7-10 I also think that they should KDAR for backups in the basic installation.

Comment

Ya the more I think about adding the additional kernels, the more I realize that the space required would mandate a Second install CD.

I love that "The Ubuntus" have stuck to the 1 cd installer.

I used to feel the same way about synaptic over adept -- but frankly adept is getting close enough that I am starting to feel comfortable with it.

I actually forgot to add 2 more programs that I think should be installed by default:

Firefox and Gimp.

Originally posted by askrieger
      I agree with you about ndiswrapper-utils even though I don't use it. Eveything possible should be done to facilitate getting folks on the net as soon as possible and wireless is the biggest problem most new users face. I disagree about the kernels, though. There are too many kernels and some people don't know which kernel they should be using so I agree with the idea of installing a kernel everyone can use and then letting them upgrade as desired. Besides, have you considered how many kernels they would have to include?

Personally, I'd like to see the developers include Synaptic, instead of Adept. But Adept is getting better, I expect it to meet my minimum standards for usability no later than Kubuntu 7-10 I also think that they should KDAR for backups in the basic installation.

Comment

What do I usually do after a fresh install:

1. Check that my documents and files are read properly.
        2. Update/Upgrade
        3. Install propriety codecs: libxine-extracodecs, w32codecs, and flashplugin-nonfree. Thank goodness Kubuntu only needs 3 (take a look at the Ubuntu to see how many plugins they need to install)
        4. Install KOffice
        5. Install some utilities I just can't live without: Katapult (Kubuntu Dapper now includes this by default), Kompose, Superkaramba, and 3D Desktop.
        6. Install nvidia-glx

That's it.

What would I like to have installed in Kubuntu by default?
        - certainly not proprietary codecs. Even though it's one of those things I install and use, I don't want it to be a default. It's one of the nice parts of the Kubuntu philosophy

1. Anything that makes connecting to the internet a lot easier, specially for wireless folks.

2. Some games. Kubuntu has absolutely 0 games installed, while Ubuntu has tons of them. Frozen Bubble would be great on the Desktop CD.

3. A very debatable preference: I would probably prefer if KOffice was installed by default instead of OpenOffice.org. Since Kubuntu has already included most KDE applications (Konqueror instead of Firefox, Krita instead of the GIMP), maybe it would be good to introduce KOffice as well. But maybe until KWord can save/export to MS Word format (.doc), that won't happen real soon.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

This is my current list, which will probably grow:

kcontrol
          synaptic
          nfs
          mozilla firefox and thunderbird
          smb4k
          gftp
          gedit
          bluefish
          jre (for moneydance)

Execute this in terminal to set Firefox as default:
          update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

For KDE:
          * Open kcontrol (KDE configuration center).
          * Go to "Components -> Components chooser -> Web browser".
          * Check "The following browser", and type in "firefox" ("mozilla" for Mozilla).
          Lane Lester
          The Web Doctor

Comment

You mentioned "Money Dance" -- never used it personally.
            how does it compare to something like Gnucash?

Originally posted by LaneLester
            jre (for moneydance)

Comment

The first thing I do is to configure /boot/grub/menu.lst so Windows XP boots as the default OS. 

Then I replace the default etc/apt/sources.lst with a backup, followed by an update.

Konqueror and Kmail are configured, favorite packages are installed, unwanted packages are uninstalled, and some backup files are restored.
              Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.04, and another TBD

Comment

Originally posted by mikeycal
                You mentioned "Money Dance" -- never used it personally.
                how does it compare to something like Gnucash?

jre (for moneydance)
                Well, you have to pay for it; that's one difference.

I've used it for years with satisfaction, and it is always being improved. The big advantage to me is that it's a Java app, and I can run it in any Linux and any Windows. I tend to jump around between OSes.

Check it out at http://moneydance.com/

Lane
                Lane Lester
                The Web Doctor

Comment

Install the few gems that gnome has, a kernel, and 3D accelated drivers

First thing I do?

apt-get update
                  apt-get install firefox evolution gaim xmms gimp linux-image-k7 linux-k7-smp nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-dev
                  edit /etc/fstab to mount my shares on my debian nfs/cifs server && mount -a
                  Make sure my e-mail, contacts, gaim settings, gaim logs, music, and documents are accessable
                  reboot into k7-smp kernel
                  Of course my desktop settings are maintained in my home dir so I don't have to mess with that crap every time. If you don't have a seperate /[home-dirs] then shame on you.

Then I get back to work. =)

I concur regarding ndis-wrapper packages

p.s. Adept? We don't need no stinking adept!

Comment

tweaks:
                    *disable arts [KDE sound system]
                    *dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg [enable 1280x800 resolution]
                    *enable multiverse and universe
                    *FIREFOX_DSP="aoss" in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc [after firefox is installed]
                    *edit manually /etc/X11/xorg.conf and remove nonexistent wacom
                    *sudo nvidia-xconfig
                    *remove package "kmilo"
                    *remove kaffeine
                    *remove kmplayer
                    *remove katapult
                    *remove fonts I don't need
                    *blacklist 8139cp
                    *disable IPV6
                    *add vga=normal apm=off >> /boot/grub/menu.lst
                    *disable unnecessary services

packages:
                    *nvidia-glx - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver
                    *gimp - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
                    *kasablanca - a FTP client for KDE
                    *kdict - dictionary client for KDE
                    *alsa-oss - ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
                    *firefox - lightweight web browser based on Mozilla
                    *flashplugin-nonfree - Macromedia Flash Player plugin installer
                    *libxine-extracodecs - the xine video/media player library, binary files
                    *msttcorefonts - Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
                    *w32codecs - win32 binary codecs
                    *mplayer-686 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux (dummy package)
                    *mozilla-mplayer - MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla
                    *kcalc - calculator for KDE
                    *kde-icons-nuvola - Nuvola icon theme for KDE
                    *kde-style-polyester - The Polyester widget style for KDE
                    *libarts1-xine - [will create video thumbnails in konqueror]
                    *unrar - Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version)

Comment

Here are a few of the things I did with a fresh install of Kubuntu 7.1

1. Used envy for installing Nvidia drivers. (1920 x 1200 resolution on Samsung 245BW: Still can't get resolution to stick on reboots)

2. Install RealPlayer.

3. Adobe Acrobat: It has nice print options displayed for my duplexing HP 6980 printer.

Comment

I see that I recommended Moneydance a year ago. With Feisty I gave Gnucash another try and was amazed by how it had improved. I'm using only Gnucash now... well, at tax time I'll have to use both to retrieve my records.

In the past I've used Adobe Acrobat with satisfaction, but with Gutsy and AA 8.x, there are always problems of one kind or another. So I'm just using xpdf and kpdf now.

Oh, yes, and to ask for flames: for years the first thing I've always done with a new Linux install is to enable root login. That allows me to control my system with the same convenience I had with Windows.

Lane
                        Lane Lester
                        The Web Doctor

Comment

Oh, yes, and to ask for flames: for years the first thing I've always done with a new Linux install is to enable root login. That allows me to control my system with the same convenience I had with Windows.
                          No flames, just ill advised and not necessary. It is a bit of a transition to get used to sudo/kdesu, but IMHO, a very smart enhancement that prevents 'accidents'.

Comment

firefox (plus a bunch of addons), java, flash, kirocker, flac, build-essential, automake1.9, qtparted

installing ksynaptics so I can edit my trackpad settings (kind of wish this support for trackpad settings was in by default)

remove trash can from kicker

Comment

Every installation of mine is a unique work of ... err ... ART, yeah, that's the ticket!

First download the current Envy version and get my Nvidia card configured.
                              Firefox, with all the media plugins available.
                              Add Medibuntu repos and get the codecs.
                              VMWare Player, to run my Win XP machine which has my genealogy database in it.
                              KCalc, Gimp, and the card games
                              VLC, xine, alsamixergui, K3b (and Brasero for backup), Audacity, gwc
                              lm-sensors, gkrellm, compiz, and emerald

Then it's usually time for a martini.

Comment

Working...
                              X