X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin should NOT have tabs

Originally posted by whelan55
    Reading the other comments, no one seems to have the Dolphin emulation that I am now finding in Konqueror. Is there some way to restore Konqueror to its former configuration? Perhaps the config be restored when I uninstall Dolphin.

I realize now what "tabs" are, and they are much needed in my file management. While I am running simulations from my Fortran programs folder, it is useful to be able to open the data folder for the group of simulations I am working on, to simplify the necessary copying or transfer of files.

This can also be done in Split View but the windows (my apologies for taboo terminology) are more constricted. Switching to and from Split View is also a pain; you either have to use the menu bar or keep the space hogging taskbar with the Split View icon. With Tabs the open and close icons are at the top corners of the (what is it called so I can stop saying "window"?).

Maybe I will try this Krusader, although that name has a lot of negative connotations. No offense intended.

Apologies if my comments/questions are too wordy; am not a forum geek, rather a desparado who only visits in emergencies (a "foul-weather friend"); e.g., need to change my user name
    If you planning on using KDE 4 (I know a lot of people are disappointed with it now, that's why I said 'if') Than get used to dolphin 'emulation' in Konqueror as it will now use the Dolphin core for file management in KDE 4.

As for the debate here I personally think Dolphin not only doesn't need tabs, but shouldn't have them at all. Reason one is that tabs get in the way of my everyday file management (OMG I just felt like 100 people gasp at once). I never used tabs in Konqueror, even in Fiesty, for file management, only for browsing. I like split view because I can visually see where I'm placing things. Oh and Split View can be easily toggled on and off in D3lphin by pressing F10, that's good enough for me. The only feature I ever liked in Konqueror was tree view and infinite split views. Infinite split views doesn't seem to be a priority for Dolphin devs though, but they do have the tree view available in the KDE 4 version, I've seen it and it works great!

But I really say we should end this DAMNED DEBATE. Just say you don't like Dolphin because of tabs and end it! It really doesn't matter. Linux is about choice, if you don't like Dolphin because it doesn't have tabs you are entitled to not use it. That's why Konqueror is still there. It may not be default in Kubuntu Gutsy anymore, but that is an easy fix, so stop complaining and go back to Konqueror.

I personally love Dolphin and I could see why it is the default now. It is made for simple file management and as such it is much faster than Konqueror making it great for most users. It also has features which KDE 3.5.x versions of Konqueror don't have, like breadcrumbs. I missed that feature when I switched from Gnome to KDE 3 back in Fiesty.

Of course Konqueror, as I remember it, as fetures that Dolphin doesn't have to, like tabs, and infinite split views. Really, as I said, this is only about options. Use the file manager you like better and don't complain when another one comes out.

Comment

Re: Dolphin should NOT have tabs

Originally posted by JediJames
      OMG I just felt like 100 people gasp at once
      Surely it was more like One Million People :P (imagine the little red thing as his thumb)

But I do agree otherwise. Dolphin is a very suitable default file manger. Those like myself who prefer to use our good old konqueror for file management (my precious tabs 8) ) can easily just switch it over.

Comment

Re: Dolphin should NOT have tabs

Originally posted by JediJames

But I really say we should end this DAMNED DEBATE. Just say you don't like Dolphin because of tabs and end it!
        No. I do like Dolphin.
        And if you'd bothered to try using tabs in Konqueror before declaring it unnecessary, you would have seen the value of it as well. Tabbed file management is one of the best features to ever come out of the Konqueror project, and people who use it don't want to see it disappear in the new default file manager, because it is that good.

It's usefulness in complex file operations is not matched by any other feature on any other manager, on any platform. There's usage examples I can think of right off the top of my head where I'd need 4 or more open instances of Dolphin to even begin to achieve the same effect of a single instance of Konqueror with all the directories in its tabs. The usefulness of this feature isn't so much in having multiple directories right in front of you, it's more about using it as a placemarker system for selected directories so you can quickly interact between a whole bunch of directories from anywhere in the file tree, all in a single window.

Split view does nothing to address this, since you can only do this with a maximum of 2 directories per window, and that's not enough for even slightly complex operations.
        For example:
        What about organizing a bunch of files situated in a single directory into categorized directories elsewhere in the filetree. This kind of simple operation is something that not just a power user would do. Say he wants to take a bunch of files from his home directory and move them somewhere else in the filetree with directories for music, ebooks, videos, and work. With a tabbed manager he can drag files from that home directory to all of these directories without changing directories at all. In a manager without tabs he'll either be changing directories back and forth (which means more work for the end user), or he'll have to switch between multiple instances of the manager, each in its own separate window, which of course means much higher memory usage. Split view only partially adresses this, as the only way that you would be able to have the ability to interact with all of these directories without changing directories or windows is if you had all the directories to be moving things into in around the same place within the file tree so that the tree view could show it up. But that doesn't mark them as the directories to be interacted with like the tabbed view does. In more complex uses it becomes even more valuable to have the ability to section off the directories you're working with in a tab so that you can keep track of them.

Users who love this feature shouldn't be forced to continue using the old code base just to maintain this tiny bit of essential feature parity. There's so many great things about the design of Dolphin that it too is essential, so I imagine quite a lot of us will be eagerly awaiting that aforementioned patch by Jucato's friend to incorporate it. I think it's fortunate that through the nature of the open source code we're able to have it both ways, so yes, as you said, Linux is about choice. But not just the choice to use something else when a feature is missing. We also have the choice to change the code, it's the whole point of the GPL, remember?

Comment

Re: Dolphin should have tabs

Originally posted by ardchoille
          I hate dolphin. It's not near as functional as the konqueror file manager. I don't know who's idea it was to replace konqueror with dolphin but it was a dumb idea. Now the devs are going to have to develop dolphin to the same level of functionality as konq has and that is just wasted time and resources.. especially when they could have saved all that time and just kept konq.

I uninstalled dolphin and now use konq.

Oh, and I also did
          As a linux newbie, I like dolphin, the interface is very simple to use. The loading of files are very quick when comparing to konqueror. It may be the main reason why dolphhin is introduced. Since it is the first release in kubuntu, i think dolphin would be better in the next release.

In respond to the title, I agree "Dolphin should have tabs" as it is a convenient feature.

Comment

Krusader creates the best combination between a split view + tabs out of all the file managers I've used; basically, you have one split view (2 views), like Dolphin, but each view has its own set of tabs (unlike Konqueror where you have only 1 set of tabs for all your views). I think it would be good if Dolphin would incorporate something similar; it's a simple, but very effective feature.
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Resurrecting an old thread...looks like tabs are coming to dolphin in KDE 4.1:
              http://ppenz.blogspot.com/2008/04/do...or-kde-41.html

Comment

WOO HOOO!
                Asus G1S-X3:
                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

So this was where this thread was hiding! I received the news of the new tab feature about a week ago, but I didn't want to let the news out until it was real news. I'm excited!! New KDE 4.1 snapshot, here I come!!
                  Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Oh SWEEEEEET. That's some of the best news I've heard all day

Comment

Working...
                    X