This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dolphin should have tabs

You could consider Nautilus? Gnome based, but it does have the tree view you want.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well yes I suppose I could, but I prefer Konqueror. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
      Eric

Comment

I kinda like Dolphin. but that was also my first thought when i opened it 'where ARE the tabs??' In KDE documentation says that it's lightweight and ment for a specific task. Then i realized that split view will do the thing and it looks more friendly. i never actually used split view, but dolphin with its light facilities suits me.
        Although i didn't figure out how to start konqueror in file mode, i can only do that through konqueror browser or right click on a folder and open it with konqueror file mode.

Comment

You type:
          Code:
          konqueror --profile filemanagement
          Eric

Comment

I hate dolphin. It's not near as functional as the konqueror file manager. I don't know who's idea it was to replace konqueror with dolphin but it was a dumb idea. Now the devs are going to have to develop dolphin to the same level of functionality as konq has and that is just wasted time and resources.. especially when they could have saved all that time and just kept konq.

I uninstalled dolphin and now use konq.

Oh, and I also did

Code:
            sudo mv /usr/bin/systemsettings /usr/bin/systemsettings-origin && sudo ln -s /usr/bin/kcontrol /usr/bin/systemsettings
            because that system settings is a pile of junk too. Sadly, Gutsy seems like a step backwards

Comment

I don't think think d3lphin's really all that bad; yes it's much simpler than Konqueror, but that's what makes it desirable. I would definitely like tabs (as I stated before) and also think it would be awesome if they would include a built-in console, Krusader style on the bottom of the screen, that would synchronize itself with the user's navigation through directories, and vice-versa.
              Asus G1S-X3:
              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by roseway
                You type:
                Code:

konqueror --profile filemanagement
                hey thx. it worked.
                okey, while we're at it, any idea to how to change konqueror to default file manager when opened home directory? just to have a choice if needed.

Originally posted by ardchoille
                I hate dolphin. It's not near as functional as the konqueror file manager. I don't know who's idea it was to replace konqueror with dolphin but it was a dumb idea. Now the devs are going to have to develop dolphin to the same level of functionality as konq has and that is just wasted time and resources.. especially when they could have saved all that time and just kept konq.

I uninstalled dolphin and now use konq.

Oh, and I also did
                I think you have a point. why the 2 managers if the other one will end up being like the first one? The only thing i can see is that is more user friendly looking and something new. i think it's a good thing to have dolphin as an alternative. if you don't browse too much files, than it fits. maybe they needed just a file manager and nothing else (such as browser facility).

Comment

Originally posted by Slajan
                  okay, while we're at it, any idea to how to change konqueror to default file manager when opened home directory?
                  Like some others, I'm not a Dolphin fan. I can figure out how to adjust the icon/txt sizes, etc. Looks like it was created for the sight impaired. How do I revert to konq as my default file manager. I checked system settings > default applications. No joy.

Comment

In a console type 'kcontrol'.
                    Select KDE Components --> File Associations
                    Select inode/directory
                    Move Konqueror to the top

Konqueror is now your default file manager.
                    Eric

Comment

1. The real Dolphin in KDE 4 has a Tree-list side panel, ala Konqueror.
                      2. To get Konqueror back as your default file manager, go to Konqueror, Settings menu -> Configure Konqueror -> File associations, etc. etc. (like what roseway said).
                      3. System Settings will be the default settings/control center in KDE 4.0 (unless something comes along for 4.1 that convinces developers)
                      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by roseway
                        In a console type 'kcontrol'.
                        Select KDE Components --> File Associations
                        Select inode/directory
                        Move Konqueror to the top

Konqueror is now your default file manager.
                        Originally posted by jucato
                        1. The real Dolphin in KDE 4 has a Tree-list side panel, ala Konqueror.
                        2. To get Konqueror back as your default file manager, go to Konqueror, Settings menu -> Configure Konqueror -> File associations, etc. etc. (like what roseway said).
                        3. System Settings will be the default settings/control center in KDE 4.0 (unless something comes along for 4.1 that convinces developers)
                        pretty amazing. thx!

Comment

Or just sudo apt-get remove dolphin.

Comment

I just updated to Gutsy Gibbon, and the switch from Konqueror to Dolphin is a huge step backward for KDE. Dolphin is poorly configured and cannot be reconfigured. It takes up too much desktop space with features that cannot be changed. For example I prefer bookmarks without text names. If someone cannot remember what a half dozen bookmarks are without having the names visible, they should retire to Sun City and go back to Windows.

I had also become accustomed to moving and copying files between folders, which I do a lot when running my molecular dynamics simulations, but Dolphin does not have the handy file tree (is this what you mean by tabs?) to drop the new files onto. So you may wonder why I have not switched back to Konqueror? The file manager portion of Konqueror has been changed to Dolphin!!! KDE has just lost its flexibility, not to mention a large chunk of its credibility, and is more like love-it-or-leave-it Windows.

Who asked for this Dolphin monster? Why is it here? How can I get the old eminently usable Konqueror back into its former eminently usable form? What I need is the Gutsy Gibbon upgrade without the changes to Konqueror.

I can see exactly one advantageous feature in Dolphin; now you can see on the desktop how much memory is left on the hard drive. That is great but not worth the upgrade, excuse me, downgrade, from Konqueror to Dolphin.

Comment

Everybody's always either "Dolphin!" or "Konqueror!", am I the only person who has discovered Krusader (highly unlikely as it's been around for over 7 years) It doesn't support an icon view the same way Konqueror and Dolphin do (sorta' like an icon + details view), but packs a mighty punch with both Konqueror's service menus and its own set of extras.
                              Asus G1S-X3:
                              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Reading the other comments, no one seems to have the Dolphin emulation that I am now finding in Konqueror. Is there some way to restore Konqueror to its former configuration? Perhaps the config be restored when I uninstall Dolphin.

I realize now what "tabs" are, and they are much needed in my file management. While I am running simulations from my Fortran programs folder, it is useful to be able to open the data folder for the group of simulations I am working on, to simplify the necessary copying or transfer of files.

This can also be done in Split View but the windows (my apologies for taboo terminology) are more constricted. Switching to and from Split View is also a pain; you either have to use the menu bar or keep the space hogging taskbar with the Split View icon. With Tabs the open and close icons are at the top corners of the (what is it called so I can stop saying "window"?).

Maybe I will try this Krusader, although that name has a lot of negative connotations. No offense intended.

Apologies if my comments/questions are too wordy; am not a forum geek, rather a desparado who only visits in emergencies (a "foul-weather friend"); e.g., need to change my user name

Comment

Working...
                                X