This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K7 kernel obsoleted by generic?

I'm running a 1.5G Athlon on Feisty now, and in times past I have used the K7 kernel. Now Adept tells me it has been obsoleted by a generic kernel. Just what is this generic kernel? 386? 686? What should I use to make my setup go best? Right now, uname -a at the command line tells me I am running 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP.

Re: K7 kernel obsoleted by generic?

the one you're running should be running well.

Comment

Yeah, the one I have right now runs just fine. It's just that I get all obsessive/compulsive if there is a better option that I could be using, one that will reach right into the guts of the cpu and use it's every feature. You can just imagine how I felt back in the days of my 286 pc when I learned about Protected Mode and how I couldn't use it...

So... can anyone tell me what's the go with this "generic" kernel vs the old K7 one?

Comment

If you want to get to the edge of your hardware, you should compile your own kernel with the options set to run on k7.
        About differences, I guess, it's not compiled with this option set but set to i686 (no optimization)

Comment

Working...
        X