This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breezy and x86-64?

So, how does breezy handles x86-64 computers? I've heard that hoary kind of sucked a bit (frequent hangs and some quirks). What has been your experience with it?

And what about Kubuntu64 in the laptops? Is it a safe bet? I am the proud owner of a AMD64 laptop and with hoary I had to install the 386 version because of the lack of support for the wireless modem in x86-64. Are these kind of problems still active in breezy?

Re: Breezy and x86-64?

It seems there aren't a lot of x86-64 users

Comment

Breezy amd64 is by far one of the most complete 64bit desktop.

there is some quirks with commercial libs like win32Codecs and flash.

But there is a workaround , by creating a seconde 32bit userland in your chroot, and it worked really well for me

look at that link :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24575

Comment

Originally posted by !nkubus
        It's nice to hear that. But how does it hold up against the 386 version? What is the state of the repositories? And is there a visible performance improvement, compared with a x86-64 system running a 386 release?

Comment

Breezy x64 on amd athlon64 2800 working great except for ATI drives lol Everything else worked out of the box

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBunzinni
            Originally posted by !nkubus
            It's nice to hear that. But how does it hold up against the 386 version? What is the state of the repositories? And is there a visible performance improvement, compared with a x86-64 system running a 386 release?
            Everyhing work right o the box... for all the opensource apps.. for propriatary stuff is diferrent as per my other post.
            The performace IMHO my computer seem very fast but i can't compare because it's a new one I got last week with an Athlon64 3800+ Dual core, but Breezy on that run like a charm

Comment

I've installed breezy 64bit 2 days ago & again yesterday trying to resolve a gui corruption problem which turns out to have disappeared after reconfiguring the Xorg server (& crossing fingers) as suggested in this forum on similar issues...
              EDIT : actually the GUI corruption is still there at the moment, i probably won't be able to stick to Kubuntu64 if there's no way to fix this

Apart from some other small issues which i hope to solved soon (one of them being able to watch videos) i find the system is running very fast at the moment & it feels like many things have been thought out well by trying to keep things simple . Still have to get used to the new configuration module but it looks promising.

Things i know to work : Screen power management, processor variable frequency (powernowd), Firefox (Flash working by default), Kget, Gaim, release of my isp's dhcp ip-adress so i can boot into Windows and access the internet again without having to wait or do anything... 

Things that didn't work : installing grub on the partition i installed Kubuntu on (maybe because it's an Sata disk, i dunno, still i managed to point to it directly from my original grub), another gui problem probably related to the DPI setting & should be solvable.

Things i'd like to see included in Kubuntu64 : Webcam & Videoconferencing support, audio & video codecs support, Xine

Comment

i got a pretty rare lappy... seems like it has all the diff features not supported by linux... ati grafix... broadcom wifi etc... but i found that the 64bit version was really really buggy... but like i said... my machine though REALLY powerful seems to be owned by microsoft... eMachines m6811 AMD64 3400+, 80gbHDD, 1.25GB Ram, Ati mobile 9700, broadcom wifi... so sad, thinking of buying a new lappy now... but unsure cause this one is so good for gaming... and it only cost me $700 refurb

Comment

I installed and it seemed OK, but then it will suddenly hang. Mouse moves, but no click response and no keyboard either. If I reboot it is OK for a while then hangs again? My System:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+/800Mhz (Boxed, Socket 754, 2.2 Ghz / 512K L2 Cache)
                  EPoX 8KDA3I = nVIDIA ,AMD 3.0+,S+L,3DDR+AGP8x- nVIDIA® nForce2 Chipset
                  Chipset integrated 10/100 Base-T Ethernet/Fast Ethernet, Realtek ALC650 6-channel audio
                  Seagte Barracude 80GB-7200rpm-8mb buffer 5 year warrantee SATA
                  Nvidia 6200 graphics card

I am going to try install the nvidia drivers for the chipset and graphics and see. Any help on how to trouble shoot will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X