Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use Kubuntu 32-bit on AMD64-processor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use Kubuntu 32-bit on AMD64-processor?

Hi.
    Well, as the subject says I am curious if it is possible to run Kubuntu 32-bit on my AMD 64-processor?
    If it is possible, are there any drawbacks except for slower OS?

Thanks in advance

/usr

Re: Can I use Kubuntu 32-bit on AMD64-processor?

Hi,

I'm almost sure it's possible, I didn't try as my 64bit is running ok (with few things missing but ok). I'm even not sure it will really be so slowier...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by usr
      Hi.
      Well, as the subject says I am curious if it is possible to run Kubuntu 32-bit on my AMD 64-processor?
      If it is possible, are there any drawbacks except for slower OS?

Thanks in advance

/usr
      Right now I'm running kubuntu 32-bit on my faithfull Acer Aspire 1524 laptop, which has a Athlon64 processor. As far as I can tell, there is no drawback because the athlon64 line is supposed to be able to run 32bit code flawlessly.

I believe that the new Kubuntu CDs are also live CDs. Why don't you burn one and give it a try?

Comment

I ordered and received the cd's to install the 64 bit version as I have an an AMD 3700+ processor. The Ubuntu people were kind enough to send me the Install disk AND the Live disk. I wanted to try the live disk first but it wouldn't run so I am NOT going to now install the 64 bit K/Ubuntu Linux.
        I run the 386 version and it runs excellently on my machine. I am going to write to the "shipit" people again requesting the K7 version. This way I can upgrade my 386 version to an AMD one.
        From what I read as a reply to a forum question I asked, one has to re-install the 64 bit version. Apparently keeping the info from the 386 Kubuntu is possible but the Linux has to be completely re-installed. So for the reasons stated above I am not able to report on the way to go from 386 to 64 bit.
        Errol

Comment

usr: Yes, you can run 32 bit (K)Ubuntu on an AMD64 processor. Disadvantage: It runs something like 10% (that's all) slower for general tasks. If you do a lot of double precision floating point, e.g. Fortran 95 stuff, the difference will be more noticeable. Advantages: You can install win32codecs and watch movies on your computer.

Errol: As far as I know, (I could be wrong) a K7 is a 32 bit processor. You need the K8 kernel for a 64 bit processor. Also, if you want to stay with the 32 bit system, you can just install the K7 kernel with Adept. You certainly don't need to reinstall anything.

Comment

Working...
          X