X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loading Kernel Hangs My Machine

askrieger,

I have indeed run into problems. I grabbed the first distro that I had at the time and tried a SuSE 10 install. Your boot paramters worked perfectly, but after about 3.5 Gb of apps were loaded from the DVD and rebooted to finalize the install I got a blank screen.

I ran a system repair and saw that there was a problem with the recovery partition ( it would not mount) of my XP set-up. H-P COMPAQ not only install XP on the C: Drive, but also creates a recovery partition.

I am now re=installing XP, will delete the recovery partition and try again.

I was about to send you a reply like ==

Where Do I Send the Beer?, you'll now have to wait a bit. LOL!

Adler

Comment

askrieger,

Well, I re-installed M$ XP, left the recovery partition intact, and installed KUBUNTU. I can re-boot my system and use GRUB to select an OS. As it stands the system is installed, but when you shut down the KDE Desktop the machine won't turn off. It goes through all the verbose "kill" and shutting down messages, but will not turn off. Somewhere in the back of my mind I'd seen this happen in other postings in other Forums.

Right now I have no Internet (Network) connectivity. I'm sure that I can correct this later, but when I try to activate my Ethernet coonection (I'm running off one now in XP) the result is a crash of the app not the machine.

Almost there....

Adler

Adler

Comment

Adler,
        Try turning on power managment in KDE control center. I had a lappy one time that this would fix. Its has something to do with the soft relay it uses. THe lappy shoudl turn off then.

As far as the internet connection. Is the NIC detected at all? Or did it just not configure its self correctly?

Cheers,
        Joey

Comment

Now that you mention it, I'm reminded that I ran into the same thing running a Knoppix derived DVD on my Pentium M laptop. I finally resorted to just pressing the power off swich when Knoppix said it was through.

Comment

Bandit, Bandit, Bandit!

I just did a fresh install of the COMPAQ s/w that my machine came with and installed KUBUNTU.

Previously I had entered the Boot Parameters --

noapic nolapic acpi=off

At the time that install hung after all processes had shut down or were "killed". This time I just used

noapic nolapic

Well, now the machine shuts down properly. Go figure...

As far as the internet connection. Is the NIC detected at all? Or did it just not configure its self correctly?The only thing detected is the Ethernet Controller, which is disabled and -- going into Admin Mode I can not activate it. As far as Wireless Networks or my Wireless Card -- nada, zip, nothing. Since Internet connectivity is important this needs to be fixed.

I've not played around with the ATI Driver issue, but assume -- since I have a functioning interface or GUI I'm safe here. I have not yet checked 3D. I could compile a Driver if needed, but want to get wireless and eventually dial-up going.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Adler

Comment

I don't do wireless, so search the site for your wireless adaptor, it may need ndiswrapper if it wasn't autodetected. How to get you ethernet going:

1) From a konsole
              Code:
              ifconfig -a
              That should work without sudo, but if it doesn't use sudo. Look for a line starting "inet addr:" followewd by an inet address. If not look at your /etc/network/interfaces file: You should see some lines saying
              Code:
              maping hotplug
              <tab>script grep
              <tab>mao eth0
              iface eth0 inet static
              You won't see the tabs
              It might say dhcp instead of static, if that's how you get your inet address. If those lines are not there add them. I use "sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces". You might prefer "kdesu kate ..." instead.

Comment

Working...
              X