• Time
  • Show
Clear All

running 32 bit apps

My Machine : Compaq Presario M200 + Turion 64 + Kubuntu Horay

Have been greatly satisfied with Adept package manager and with
    Kubuntu in general. However I would like to know if I can run 32 bit
    apps. For example, can I download firefox 1.5 binary for x86 and
    expect it to run [ of course I did try but failed ].

Also I have trouble in compiling packages which fail to recognize
    x86_x64.

Re: running 32 bit apps

Answer:

YOU DON'T!

Well, I tried to use the Ubuntu documentation in order to simply install something as simple as Firefox 32 bit. I followed their instructions to the T, and NADA, all I get are error messgaes galore, and now BASH is completely jacked up!!! I seems to work for plenty of the users that are using Ubuntu, however, I HATE GNOME, so I guess its I'll move on with my life and get FC4 or go back to SuSE.....the thing that pisses me off is that the ****ers state that Ubuntu and Kubuntu have absolutely no differences other than on being Gnome and the other of course has KDE. Either this is a complete LIE, or the people who desinged the freaking thing DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER!!! Either way, this is completely inexcusable, so I am forced to abandon Kubuntu. Don't get me wrong, it works great on Pentium stuff, but there is a right tool for every job, and if you need an OS to run smoothly on AMD64 HW, Kubuntu is DEFFINITELY THE WRONG TOOL!!!!!

Comment

Re: running 32 bit apps

I'm running Kubuntu 64-bit Breezy (check all my stats in my sig) and am successfully running both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Firefox without having the hassle of chroot.

Follow the instructions in this how-to and everything should work just fine.

Another easy install for a 32-bit browser is Flock. Find the Linux download and simply extract it to any directory, then use the executable in the directory to launch. If you like it, make a symbolic link to the executable in /usr/sbin/ so all you have to do is type "flock" to launch.

The standard wiki instructions work fine for Java on 64-bit Kubuntu, as well. Simply apt-get install j2re1.4 after enabling the universe and multiverse repositories in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Comment

Working...
      X