This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Earth on Fiesty 64-bit

I am relatively new to Kubuntu, and the only applications installer I am familiar with is Adept. I understand that Google Earth for the 64-bit OS is available from Medibuntu, but I don't know how to install from Medibuntu. I've installed the access key per instructions on their web site, but still don't know how to access, download, and install applications from their repository. Any step by step assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: Google Earth on Fiesty 64-bit

If you followed the instructions on their "How To Add A Repository" page, you're done. Their packages will automatically be displayed in Adept (or Synaptic).

Oh, BTW, run "Refresh" on your Adept or Synaptic .....

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      If you followed the instructions on their "How To Add A Repository" page, you're done. Their packages will automatically be displayed in Adept (or Synaptic).

Oh, BTW, run "Refresh" on your Adept or Synaptic .....
      That's what I thought. I followed the instructions, and it seemed to execute OK, but still nothing visible from Adept. How do I run Refresh on Adept? Must be a command line function, cause it's not available from the program.

AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Maybe it's "Update" ? I'm stuck at a Windows piece of crap and can't remember what the button says.

In the console, you can do a
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        and it does the same thing for you, then open Adept.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Maybe it's "Update" ? I'm stuck at a Windows piece of crap and can't remember what the button says.

In the console, you can do a
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          and it does the same thing for you, then open Adept.
          dibl,
          Thanks for the suggestions. I've already tried all that, more than once, and Adept still won't recognize medibuntu as a repository. There must be something else I'm not doing, or maybe a bug in adept.

Comment

No, whatever the faults of Adept, that's not one of them.

I'd say try again with the "Repository How To" page of Medibuntu here: http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repository.php

Use the instruction for your running version of Kubuntu. Be careful to copy ALL of each line into your console window, and hit "Enter" after each one.

Then, open Adept and click "Refresh" or "Update" or "Fetch" or whatever the heck it is, and Google Earth should be a choice on the list of packages when you next browse down to the "G"s.

Or I'm a Monkey's Uncle!

Comment

Well, my lesson of the day is "If at first you don't succeed, try try again". Now I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I repeated all of the steps that you suggested, and I did succeed in installing GoogleEarth from medibuntu. The bad news is that when I launch it my system crashes. Must not be suitable for the 64-bit OS I guess. Oh well! Back to the drawing board. Thanks for all the help "dibl". I owe you one..

Comment

Oh ... sorry to hear that.

Well, I dunno. I doubt seriously "64-bit" is the problem, because I'm running Google Earth very satisfactorily on my 64-bit Ubuntu system. Most likely you are overtaxing your graphics system (or its driver), unless there is some issue with KDE and Google Earth that I haven't heard of. What is your graphics card, and what driver are you running?

Comment

I have installed Googleearth on my Kubuntu 7.04 amd64 install and....
                  Googleearth crashes KDE completely as it starts..

I thought I had enough power Dell 1501 amd64 x2 1gb mem..w/ ATI video 256mb ram

Can't seem to find another app that causes KDE to fail so I am left wondering why Googleearth. I know it run 3D but..
                  As far as I know, I don't have a better Video Display Driver choice.
                  Here are my GLXgears and GLXinfo outputs..

sqlpython@sqlpythons1501:~$ glxgears
                  2548 frames in 5.1 seconds = 500.750 FPS
                  2640 frames in 5.2 seconds = 512.381 FPS
                  2640 frames in 5.2 seconds = 507.509 FPS

sqlpython@sqlpythons1501:~$ glxinfo
                  name of display: :0.0
                  display: :0 screen: 0
                  direct rendering: No
                  server glx vendor string: SGI
                  server glx version string: 1.2
                  server glx extensions:
                  GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
                  GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_OML_swap_method,
                  GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe,
                  GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
                  client glx vendor string: SGI
                  client glx version string: 1.4
                  client glx extensions:
                  GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
                  GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_allocate_memory,
                  GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_swap_control,
                  GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control,
                  GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
                  GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
                  GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
                  GLX version: 1.2
                  GLX extensions:
                  GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
                  GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,
                  GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample,
                  GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
                  OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
                  OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)
                  OpenGL extensions:
                  GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_fragment_program,
                  GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture,
                  GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite,
                  GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_shadow_ambient, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
                  GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map,
                  GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine,
                  GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
                  GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two,
                  GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_vertex_program,
                  GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,
                  GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate,
                  GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
                  GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements,
                  GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays,
                  GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_paletted_texture, GL_EXT_point_parameters,
                  GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,
                  GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs,
                  GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_subtexture,
                  GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp,
                  GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,
                  GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias,
                  GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_object,
                  GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels,
                  GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3,
                  GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3,
                  GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate,
                  GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_NV_blend_square,
                  GL_NV_fragment_program, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_NV_point_sprite,
                  GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_NV_vertex_program,
                  GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_SGI_color_matrix, GL_SGI_color_table,
                  GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp,
                  GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_SGIX_depth_texture,
                  GL_SGIX_shadow, GL_SGIX_shadow_ambient, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
                  id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                  0x23 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
                  0x24 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 0 0 0 None
                  0x25 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
                  0x26 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
                  0x27 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
                  0x28 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 0 0 0 None
                  0x29 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
                  0x2a 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
                  0x43 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ncon

Comment

What are the minimum requirements of Google Earth for Linux?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Tuesday, 13 June 2006
                      After much delay, Google has finally launched Google Earth for Linux.

According to information found on DailyTech , the minimum requirements are the following:

* Kernel: 2.4 or later
                      * glibc: 2.3.2 w/ NPTL or later
                      * XFree86-4.0 or x.org R6.7 or later
                      * CPU: Pentium 3, 500Mhz
                      * System Memory (RAM): 128MB
                      * Hard Disk: 400MB free space
                      * Network Speed: 128 Kbits/sec
                      * Screen: 1024x768, 16 bit color
                      * Tested and works on the following OSs Ubuntu 5.10, Suse 10.1, Fedora Core 5, Linspire 5.1, Gentoo 2006.1, Debian 3.1.
                      I am running Feisty 7.04 amd64 on a AMD64 1.7 w/ 1gb ram and 256mb ATI video... and it crashes like a NASCAR..
                      But I overlooked this readme tip and will try again
                      NOTE: If you have an ATI graphic card using the proprietary (fglrx) driver, please read carefully /usr/share/doc/googleearth/README.Debian

Comment

Do you have the latest ATI proprietary driver installed and enabled? If not, check out the following link for Envy; it downloads and installs the correct driver for you:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
                        Asus G1S-X3:
                        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

That glxgear's result is way to low, I have a Geforce 7900 GS - 256 MB and the result is this:

bob@kubuntubox1:~$ glxgears
                          71618 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14323.514 FPS
                          70680 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14132.665 FPS
                          71334 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14266.666 FPS
                          71904 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14380.725 FPS
                          71259 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14249.270 FPS
                          70469 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14093.795 FPS
                          71252 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14250.397 FPS

bob@kubuntubox1:~$ glxinfo
                          name of display: :0.0
                          display: :0 screen: 0
                          direct rendering: Yes <------ Here is the problem, as you can see the rendering result most display "Yes", you need 3D acceleration

I would strongly suggest that you install the proprietary ATI driver through Envy's script

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Regards,

MepisReign
                          Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Already beat you to it (Look up (2) replies) It's cool to know we're thinking on the same page though 8)

Asus G1S-X3:
                            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                              Already beat you to it (Look up (2) replies) It's cool to know we're thinking on the same page though 8)

Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Working...
                              X