Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of getting AM2 X2 CPU. If I run 32bit Fiesty will both cores be used?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of getting AM2 X2 CPU. If I run 32bit Fiesty will both cores be used?

I'm thinking of doing an upgrade in CPU. I'd like to have all the ease of functionality I have in Kubuntu 32 Bit. I can't afford for things not to work so I'm not going 64Bit. BUT I'm wondering if there's any advantage to having a dual core CPU with Kubuntu 32bit.

Thanks for any and all help!
    Kev

Re: Thinking of getting AM2 X2 CPU. If I run 32bit Fiesty will both cores be use

Just installed a AMD X2 3800. I reinstalled feisty 32 bit, and both cores are working fine.
    mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Re: Thinking of getting AM2 X2 CPU. If I run 32bit Fiesty will both cores be use

My AMD Dual Core 4000+ works just fine with the 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Comment

There seem to be some minor difficulties with the AMD dual cores, at least that what it says here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=473717

I've been running on an Intel Core 2 Extreme since Edgy came out, with zero issues related to the CPU or SMP.

Comment

I can only tell you my experience, which is 0 problems. I did read a post that said that I needed to reinstall to have it pick up the dual core (I'm sure there is a way around this, but it wasn't a big deal to me). Both my cores are running just fine. Of course I can't guarantee that others will...
          mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Thanks guys!!!

Next pay I think I'm gonna grab a 5200. I've got a Semperon 3200 right now, I'm expecting just a slight improvement.

Kev

Comment

Re: Thinking of getting AM2 X2 CPU. If I run 32bit Fiesty will both cores be used?

nice...

Comment

Re: Thinking of getting AM2 X2 CPU. If I run 32bit Fiesty will both cores be used?

I have a S939 X2 4800+ and it was just a matter of removing the single-core and installing the dual-core. Rerun sensors-detect so it could find the 2 cores and all is fine. The kernel is SMP ready.
                I don't see why it would work for others and not work for you, makes no sense. Just be sure to not mess with the packages you are not sure about, and don't mess with conf files of cpufreq or modules, in case you want Cool and Quiet or Speedstep working.

Comment

Working...
                X