This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit flash installation disk

First, I am new to Kubuntu. I have it running on several 32-bit Intel machines, but bought my first 64-bit Intel machine that does not have a cd nor a dvd drive.

My DHCP server is on MacOSX 10.4 Server and it will not netboot anything other than MacOSX.

So, my thoughts are to move the kubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso to a flash drive. Problem is that I would be working from a 32-bit machine and am not sure that 'apt-get syslinux' would work properly on the 64-bit disk image unless there is a way to tell apt-get to get the 64-bit image of syslinux and that syslinux could also be run from the 32-bit machine.

I am guessing at all this. Does anyone here have any experience with this and/or offer any suggestions on how to do this? I really like the flash disk process and have it set up with gentoo linux on a flash drive, but that is 32-bit as well. (I don't use Gentoo anymore, because Kubuntu is so much easier to use!) Anyway, I am open to suggestion. Thank you for your time.

Re: 64-bit flash installation disk

In reading the docs on Gentoo LiveUSB drive creation, it looks like syslinux does not need to be 64-bit. So, I am going to try making a flash drive of kubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso and see if I can get it to work. I will report back what I find out. I am still interested in any input that you might have.

Comment

kranki -- I'm very interested in hearing about your motivation to do this -- how do you plan to use it if you are successful, and what do you think the benefits of doing it this way will be?

Thanks!

Comment

I am simply going to use it to install EMT64 Kubuntu on two machines running dual quad-core intel procs which have no cd or dvd drive. The two machines are in a single 1U configuration, Supermicro 6015T-T, and support PXE netboot or usb drive booting. I need EMT64 to run the new Folding@Home SMP client. I would install the Ubuntu EMT64 server, but I like the ease of use of having KDE available and F@H only uses about 60% of the processors anyway. Hope that helps. There might be an easier way, but I am not aware of it.

I did use this technique to do custom installs Gentoo Linux for a while and it worked nicely, but that was strictly 32-bit. Have never tried it with Kubuntu/Ubuntu, because all of my machines that run Kubuntu todate have cdrom drives.

Comment

Interesting! Sounds like it should work -- good luck with it!

Comment

Well, I never got it working. I tried 6-7 different techniques and worked. Mostly, I just got a blinking cursor. I got tired of doing it and broke down and got a usb cdrom/dvdrom and that worked first time. So, at least I got Kubuntu 7.04 installed.

Comment

It's too late now, but earlier today I came across this Ubuntu Community Help Wiki page. Actually, jankushka linked to it in another thread.

Comment

Working...
              X