This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

support for 32 bit apps

are there any improvements in supporting 32 bit apps in the 64-bit Feisty? The likes of Flashplugin, win32codecs, skype and so on?.
    My problem is that I have an epson scanner and it needs a non-free plugin available from Epkowa (Avasys) which is in 32 bit only. For this reason mainly (besides the above ones) I am compelled to use the 32 bit Kubuntu on a 64 bit machine. Pretty sad.

32-bit plugins

I can't really speak to your printer issue, but as far as the browser plugins that are only available in 32-bit form: I've had great success using nspluginwrapper (http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper).

I'm using it right now with the flash9 and mplayer plugins under Feisty herd 5. So far, so good.
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Re: support for 32 bit apps

Thanks for the reply. For some reason I did not get a noptification of it therefore I am answering this late.

Can you tell me anything about win32codecs? Can it be replaced by something else?

I did look myself at the ns..wrapper and it seems pretty good idea. I will try it. I have installed a Feisty beta now in 64 bit and I will attempt to make the plugin work.
      As of my scanner: I bought another Epson but a 4990 which should work with sane and w/o any proprietary driver. I had enough of this circus. It will be delivered next week and I hope to put this issue to rest.

I will post back after I get the nsplugin working.

Comment

Automatix should provide you all of the 32bit necessities and plugins such as Adobe, Flash etc. There is a way to force the architecture to install 32bit apps on your 64 bit system provided you have the ia32-libs installed.

My issue is I cannot print from ANY installed 32bit app. Adobe Reader and Firefox32. It's as if your print susbsytem doesn't exist. When trying to print an Adobe doc, the printer list only shows /usr/bin/lp. In Firefox - you simply get Postscript/Default. Print anyway and nothing.

I would love to know how to resolve this as other 64bit systems installed in past IE; FC6, FC5, FC4, Suse 10.1, 10.0, 9.3 all 64 bit versions had no issues printing from 32bit installed apps.

I also encountered the same loss of printing under Kubuntu Edgy and Dapper 64 bit installs as well. I'm sure it has to be an Ubuntu/Kubuntu thing or maybe even a Debian thing?

I truly and sincerely request someone to look into this tied to this project to just shed some light on the subject even if there isn't a solution now?

Salt

Comment

At current support for 32-bit applications in 64 bit Kubuntu is minimal, I am afraid. I would not trust Automatix or any third party script to install it correctly.

I have to admit, I am still on Edgy, doing some preparations for upgrading, but from what I have seen in terms of release notes, there are no improvements. Kubuntu is disappointingly slow in moving to 64 bit compared to, for instance, Mandriva (which has something called biarch that supposedly supports 32-bit applications in a 64-bit architecture. I guess that is what we need, but I am just a layman).

For the meantime, I think it means we will have to stick to making manual installs of Gwenole Beachesne's nspluginwrapper and patching Konqueror The procedure is described in some details on Gwenole's nspluginwrapper homepages. I have noted that there are now packages in debian unstable for this, which perhaps should make it available in kubuntu not too far into the future.

PS (@oldsalt): I guess the reason why you experience problems printing from the 32-bit browser on 64-bit architecture is incompatibility at the binary level between 32-bit chroot and 64-bit printerdriver - how about installing your printerstuff in the 32 bit chroot? (Not that I would trust automatix to take care of it).

Comment

Thanks for the reply Heinkel_111.

All Automatix does is basically script or simplify the installation and configuration of basic home PC necessities. You can manually install these as posted in the online guides however Automatix saves a LOT of time for a lot of folks, that's all.

I never encountered my 32bit app printing issue on other distro's - only Kubuntu. I like the fact that this 64bit install isn't just filled with duplicate items doubling your install footprint like the others. I thought about trying to do what you said with the 32bit printer install however I believe I wouldn't know where to begin with that. I just figured someone more knowledgeable like you would be able to shed some light on this and maybe it would garner enough attention to get more involved.

Linux is the leader in pushing the 64bit technology however it's not complete in some areas.

My Opinion:
            There's no reason for those running the 64bit technology to be forced to dumb down their systems to be able to have or enjoy the same basic features or functionality as available on the 32bit side. Worse yet, a 32bit install on 64bit hardware. It doesn't make sense. Someone really needs to kick Adobe's and Sun's butts to get it in gear. I'm afraid that if it continues, then the 64bit technology will fade away as more people realize it's limitations or lack of support for the technology.

Thanks again heinkell_111

Comment

Make sure in any case to have installed Linux32 and ia32 packages.

I'm running Enemy Territory and other several 32 bits apps in my 64 bits box

MepisReign
              Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

MepisReign; I have the Linux32 and ia-32 libs installed. I can run the apps. my problem is I can't print form those apps. Very frustrating to have to open 2 different browsers when you need to print an article or whatever from a website. Print to file is an option. Then open in another app and then print does work however this is frustrating and can get tedious and time consuming.

Overall it's just very disappointing for 64bit users to be forced to continue struggling with workarounds after how many years now? I just wished more notice could be given to this issue in efforts to actively pursue a resolution is all I'm after now. There should be no deficiencies whatsoever between the 2 architectures now.

Thanks for the reply and if you have any more suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Old_Salt
                  Overall it's just very disappointing for 64bit users to be forced to continue struggling with workarounds after how many years now?
                  i386 is the first 32-bit CPU, that is about 1993 I think...
                  You may ask when did most software transfered from 16-bit to 32-bit? ----not until 2000 IMO.

Now, the first AMD64CPU comes out at 2003,
                  Let's hope everything will be prepared for 64bit at 2010...

So, don't worry, just use 32-bit OS and applications for another two or three years...

Comment

Working...
                  X