X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Record bbc audio solved

hmmm that would be helpful to know also
    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Easy peasy mates. I just installed Kubuntu 8.10 last week so after I did the install and upgrade I used Adept to install all the other multimedia programs and codecs I need first and rebooted. I need the players and codecs for everything from midi to m4v for mpeg files and flash for webcams and I install Audacity last.

Then I downloaded Realplayer 11 GOLD in a deb package from the RealPlayer website to my desktop. I installed the debian-installer from Adept. I right clicked on the RealPlayer file, Open With, clicked on Gdebi Package Installer. After installing RealPlayer I rebooted. All this rebooting might not be necessary. It's just the way I do it.

Everything at the BBC iPlayer site works for me except of course the copyrighted programs people outside the UK can't listen to. Most of those are TV shows. I have BBC America on cable , but it would be jolly nice to watch the programs on the website too. There's a lot BBC America doesn't have.

Until Ubuntu 8.10, Audacity worked without problems. 8.10 has Pulseaudio. Audacity hasn't been updated yet to work with Pulseaudio. If you install Gnome into Kubuntu, Pulseaudio is automatically installed with Gnome so you'd have to disable Pulseaudio to use Audacity. There are commands to disable and enable Pulseaudio so it's not too hard to do.

With Kubuntu 8.10 just make sure Audacity is using the right sound daemon or daemons. With my sound card Audacity uses OSS for recording and playback by default. You might have to use ALSA for playback. It just depends on your sound card.

I have Linux Mint 5 CE KDE 3.x (based on Kubuntu 8.04) on my boot drive and Kubuntu 8.10 on my second drive just so I can track the development of KDE 4 in Kubuntu. If you have the facility to try Mint then by all means have a go. Mint has a lot more multimedia bits out-of-the-box and it has RealPlayer in it's reop.

Comment

Thanks a ton for that, apollo. I reckon it didn't work for me because of this

With Kubuntu 8.10 just make sure Audacity is using the right sound daemon or daemons. With my sound card Audacity uses OSS for recording and playback by default. You might have to use ALSA for playback. It just depends on your sound card.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Toad it could be that or it could be what I forgot to say. After I installed Audacity I had to click the volume control on the main panel, click Mixer and tick Capture for PCM. If Capture isn't ticked Audacity won't hear what you're playing. I feel a right Charlie for forgetting that.

Comment

There is always that last bit of "magic" one needs to tie it all together.

It appears that my sound card does not support this as there is no "capture" box underneath pcm.
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

mine neither toad. Never mind thanks apollo for trying at least. I will have another stab at this tomorrow. In the mean time I have been writting a how to to clarify the method I have been using ie via mplayer which I should be able to get finished for tomorrow to share with others
              Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Cool! Please post a link here

Comment

Right. I have created a How to here :

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100005.0

Hope it helps

Comment

Working...
                  X