This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record bbc audio solved

I have moved to Kubuntu from another distro and have had a lot of trouble initially finding how to listen to bbc radio and then at the same time, record the stream.

BBC uses real audio streams and the obvious way to listen is to use realplayer (currently version 10). Using Kubuntu, I had a problem installing that program in kubuntu - an error message said it would conflict with rvplayer, (which I could not find in my system). Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Anyway I then installed realplayer from its binary downloaded from the Real site. However I could not get any method of recording the stream to work, even trying most things in sight, one at a time, programs and packages that seemed relevant.
    Audacity worked on a laptop I had for such recording, but now gave I/O layer errors when used in other machines I have - something to do with alsa and the audio card and audacity not being able to get to the soundcard at the same time as the realplayer I think.

Previos distro was ok when I used 'krecord', but however hard I looked I could not find this in the add/remove programs lists. After more persistance I did find krecord in the system>adept package manager>krecord.
    It was available as a package, not a program. (!!)
    And it works!

Krecord also provides a recording level indication and the mixer can be run - both good for initial setting up the conditions. I could not find a record level meter gui in gnome, even though it appeared to be installed as a program.

One note - I also tried ubuntu (gnome) for bbc recording, again with no success for my situation, except with krecord.

I use both kde and gnome, so my latest approach has been to now first install ubuntu and update it, then install kubuntu-desktop, a big download activity.

Interestingly, realplayer installed easily in ubuntu (add/remove programs), and was still available in kubuntu later. So in this case I did not have to go to the Real site and download the binary.

Re: Record bbc audio solved

I have been having problems with this myself until very recently (last week)

I always had to use realplayer to listen but could not record

Finally got a small script from a very helpful chap on one ofthe kubuntu irc channels which uses mplayer in konsole to record actually at the stream speed but better then not at all)

I can then convert using soundkonvertor for my mp3....at last!!
    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

I NEED that script now! Please, Andy, chuck it over!

Ta
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well the buggers at the BBC when they are not ringing up people and swearing at them have got round to the fact that people were recording it. So they went all flashy instead of using realplayer and so this guide here

http://www.tomtaylor.co.uk/blog/2006...treams-to-mp3/

http://www.tomtaylor.co.uk/blog/2007...play-it-again/

Does not work for me any more in the UK...whether it works abroad I now do not know
        I should have updated but forgot. The upshot was that after they gracefully launched iplayer and let linux users use it...the ram streams died

So now I have to listen in iplayer and not on my mp3

Now then...if you can sort the iplayer thing out..I would be very grateful

Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk/

Brill!
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

coolio...now what...do I insert that into a script like on the page we had before up the top on that other webpage?

Comment

I haven't checked the other links yet but my understanding was that the change from http:// to rtsp:// is at the root of the prob. So that link gives you back your http:// link and whatever you were doing before should be working again (I hope).

I've got to be off soon (to listen to some real music ) but hang in there and post your results.

Comment

I have lost the old script I used to have for it...shame as it was really useful..I know the pid thingy or whatever it is but not how to go about it again. plus it was on my old machine

Comment

I found it but it still refers to a programme from July

mplayer -ao pcm:file=file.wav "rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio3/latejunction/latejunction_tue.ra" -dumpfile radio3latejunctiontue.wav

What would I use now then?

The new programme id is b00fj2w0

Comment

Andy, I can't believe it, it is working!!!

I did:

mplayer -ao pcm:file=file.wav "rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk:554/radio3/worldroutes.ra?timestamp=1227285726&pid=b00fgzrn&B BC-UID=e4d83075ea0665e92c4b18bb31788b2a2738f1d62090e1 591b5bb30f0105a70a&SSO2-UID=" -dumpfile bbc.wav
                    I got the URL from the iplayer console. You NEED the mplayer plugin

Code:
                    sudo apt-get install mozilla-mplayer
                    Works of course only if you've got the medibuntu repo enabled... Once you have installed it open the programme you're after in the bbc iplayer, right click and do a "copy URL".

Bob's your uncle and I'm one happy bunny 8) 8)

Cheers Andy. Let me know whether you managed or not.

Comment

listen dude late in the day for me now.can we come back to sort this later as I only want to listen to late junction on radio 3 (bbc) but got stuff happening here....will download mplayer firefox (done now). are you around over the weekend to sort this when it is daylight?

By the way world routes is ace...try from our own correspondent for bbc at its best

Lets sort this over the weekend and I am sure we will find some new stuff too!

btw are you saying my cody thing worked!?!?!

Comment

Your cody thing worked, yep. PM me once you are bright as rain and we should get the listening thing sorted as well. You on skype or similar? If so, let me have your contact details - faster communication than doing stuff over the forum...

Sleep tight

Comment

yip yip yippeee

it finally worked for me

on bbc radio 3!

yip yip yippee

ok I get musical when it works!!!

rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk:554/radio3/latejunction_wed.ra?timestamp=1227147857&pid=b00fj 2kj&BBC-UID=64e932351897615c1a3c33c461397e1c30ca1cf0b0c0e1 59bb6ba3dfa115371a&SSO2-UID=-dumpfile bbc.wav

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pleased

Appreciate your help on this

At last another thing working how I like it

Comment

I don't understand the problem you're having with BBC iPlayer. Is it something unique to the UK? I live in the States and I use Audacity to record the BBC. Audacity works fine in Kubuntu 8.10 but not in Ubuntu 8.10 because of Pulseaudio so I don't understand why you need a script. Can you explain to a colonist why you need a script?

Comment

Glad you got it working, colonist (to the moon judging by your name ).

I tried to record using audacity but failed miserably. Can you tell us how you did it?

Comment

Working...
                              X