This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Internet Connection with Live CD

It is in the "us.archive.ubuntu.com/main" repository. Activate that repository, reload, and then do a search for "b43".
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm using Synaptic Package Manager and have used "Search" with zero results.
      Would using Terminal and opening a text editor in Root and then adding the Ubuntu
      Repository accomplish what you have suggested?
      Some stress&nbsp; we are told&nbsp; is beneficial-especially in learning about PC&#39;s<br />Registered Linux User #410272

Comment

It may be that your problem can be attributed to the fact that you are using Kubuntu 6-06. The b43-fwcutter package is present in both the Jaunty (Kubuntu 9-04) and Karmic (Kubuntu 9-10) repositories, (the only ones I can vouch for, at this time). The Long Term Support commitment for 6-06 means that software supplied with Dapper will be updated and supported, but hardware driver software that was not included in 6-06, may not be part that commitment.

Comment

Thanks,Askrieger, it all makes sense now
          I tried burning the Jaunty ISO with bad results (the md5sums
          for the CD didn't check). I've had poor success burning my own
          CD's; so this time I asked for the free CD of Karmic.
          I think that I'll wait and see what transpires when I receive the CD.
          Thanks for all the help everybody
          Some stress&nbsp; we are told&nbsp; is beneficial-especially in learning about PC&#39;s<br />Registered Linux User #410272

Comment

You don't have the proper repository activated.
            Add "us.archive.ubuntu.com/main" to the repository, or if it is there then activate it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

GreyGeek can I open a text editor in Root with Terminal and modify
              "sources.list so that a search will look in a newer Kubuntu version
              archive in order to find b43-fwcutter?
              Also, I ran "lspci" on the Dell Optiplex and it showed the Broadcom
              Netlink as "unknown device 1698". Perhaps this will be solved when
              I receive the new CD?

Comment

It would be a mistake to install a program from one release of *buntu in a system running an older release. The new program will expect libraries to perform in specific ways that may have changed between the older release of the library and the newer release of the program. That is why dependency lists give the version of the libraries that a particular program requires.

If you were only one or two versions behind, I would suggest doing a serial upgrade (e.g Intrepid to Jaunty to Karmic). Unfortunately, though, the whole world changed between Hardy and Intrepid when Kubuntu switched from KDE3 to KDE4. Upgrades from KDE3 to KDE4 are made difficult because of the drastic difference in the configuration variables between the two versions of KDE.

Therefore, you will have to do a fresh install from the iso. However, You don't have to burn a CD. You can mount the iso using the "loop" pseudo-device. Unfortunately, in my old age, I have forgotten the precise wording of the "mount -o loop ... *.iso" command that you need to mount an iso image file in memory as a device. Hopefully, someone with a better memory than I will provide the proper wording of the one line command. NOTE: It is still mandatory that you check the md5 sum of the downloaded iso file. You just don't have to burn it.

Comment

Once you've downloaded an ISO Image you can mount it as a loopback device. This will give you access to the files in the ISO without you having to burn it to a CDROM first. In order to do this you must have loopback compiled into your Linux Kernel. (Most newer distributions will have this enabled by default). For example if you wanted to mount filename.iso to /mnt/iso you would run the following command: mount -o loop -t iso9660 filename.iso /mnt/iso
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@snowhog: Thanks!

Comment

From one 'old' dog to another, you are welcome!
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                        Unfortunately, in my old age, I have forgotten ...
                        ... just about everything. Aggravating, isn't it?

Everytime I do something, regardless of how often I've done it before, it seems like I have to learn how to do it again. That's why I find myself leaning more and more toward the mouse and GUI dialogs.

Comment

I inserted the Dapper DVD into the Dell Optiplex and rebooted into Kubuntu.
                          I tried the mount command and received "No such file. I then rebooted with
                          the Jaunty CD and was able to access the Internet. I then rebooted the Dell
                          and tried the same thing (Jaunty CD) in the HP Laptop. I couldn't access the
                          Internet so I opened Hardware Drivers and tried to Activate B34
                          with no success.

Comment

Working...
                          X