X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Internet Connection with Live CD

It's been a while since I've used a Kubuntu Live CD; so I'm
    not sure if what I'm asking is normal or unique to my two PC's.
    I started the Live CD in my son's HP Laptop which has Broadcom
    54g 802.11g wifi. I wasn't able to get an internet connection.
    Kubuntu indicated that no eth0 or wlan detected.
    I then tried the Live CD in my Dell Optiplex 360 with the same results.
    Is this occurring because the Kubuntu Live CD doesn't offer internet
    connectivity? Thanks for any help.
    Some stress&nbsp; we are told&nbsp; is beneficial-especially in learning about PC&#39;s<br />Registered Linux User #410272

Re: No Internet Connection with Live CD

No. It's because of the Broadcom ethernet controller. It requires a 'wrapper' that pulls in the required driver (Windows) in order for Kubuntu to be able to use it.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Please take a look at this list at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki. Personally, I don't use wireless, so I cannot personally attest to the accuracy of the advice, but most people do get wireless going.

Comment

You could also go the easy way and run a wire to your router, just for now. That always works.

Comment

If your 54g contains one of these chips:
          Part # Description
          BCM4326 Low-Power 802.11b/g Transceiver
          BCM4328 Low-Power 802.11a/b/g Transceiver
          then perhaps you can run an eth cable from your wireless to your PC so you can run KpackagerKit to install Synaptic and wicd. THen use Synaptic to install b43-fwcutter. IF it works it will pull your firmware from your chip and use it to setup a wireless connection. Your wifi lamp may light up immediately or you may have to reboot to activate it. Then you can run wicd to configure your wireless.

IF b43-fwcutter doesn't work then you can "remove completely" in Synaptic to uninstall it and leave your eth cable connected.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This is interesting since Broadcom has been better supported than most wireless in Linux lately.

what is the output in Terminal with the command ifconfig -a?

if it is seeing your cards it should show up in there.
            you should have eth0, lo and wlan0 at least.

if they are showing up, make sure your wireless is switched on.

Then open knetwork manager and add in your wireless. If your wireless is not broadcasting the SSID then knetwork manager will not find it. you have to manually add your connection.
            click on the knetwork manager icon on the tray and click manage connections.
            click on the wireless tab, then add
            if you do broadcast, then you should be able to scan for your network in the same area.
            &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by micro777
              It's been a while since I've used a Kubuntu Live CD; so I'm
              not sure if what I'm asking is normal or unique to my two PC's.
              I started the Live CD in my son's HP Laptop which has Broadcom
              54g 802.11g wifi. I wasn't able to get an internet connection.
              Kubuntu indicated that no eth0 or wlan detected.
              I then tried the Live CD in my Dell Optiplex 360 with the same results.
              Is this occurring because the Kubuntu Live CD doesn't offer internet
              connectivity? Thanks for any help.
              Whether using the Live CD or an installed version of Kubuntu you still need to download the driver for Broadcom wifi for it to work. Broadcom drivers are Proprietary and not included in the system. Right click on the desktop and start Run Command, type in "hardware drivers" (without the quotes) and use the subsequent menu to download the driver, there should be a choice of two. You will need an ethernet line into the Internet to download it.
              Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

even i thought same thing when i first installed karmic on my laptop.
                kubuntu doesn't believe in providing drivers for all kind of things in it's live cd.. but hey.. it can surely detected most of the drivers very simply.
                just connect your laptop by wired connection first. It should get connected without any hitch.
                then goto: K->Applications->System->Hardware drivers
                let it scan the laptop and suggest a driver from internet.
                download the driver.. (just to be sure.. restart your comp) and whoala.. wireless works..
                give it a try.
                asus A52N
                Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

download the driver.. (just to be sure.. restart your comp) and whoala.. wireless works..
                  give it a try.
                  Restart won't work. He's using a live CD.

Comment

The Dell Optiplex 360 that I tried the Kubuntu 6.06 DVD on
                    has an Ethernet cable connection to the ADSL modem. I wasn't
                    able to get a internet connection on it either. Since both use
                    Broadcom, could the problem be with Broadcom drivers?
                    Thanks for all the help so far
                    Some stress&nbsp; we are told&nbsp; is beneficial-especially in learning about PC&#39;s<br />Registered Linux User #410272

Comment

The Dell Optiplex 360 that I tried the Kubuntu 6.06 DVD on
                      has an Ethernet cable connection to the ADSL modem. I wasn't
                      able to get a internet connection on it either. Since both use
                      Broadcom, could the problem be with Broadcom drivers?
                      Thanks for all the help so far
                      Broadcom is your wireless card, your Ethernet card is probably Marvel, different cards, different drivers.
                      Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

One thing that I failed to put in my initial post is that the Dell Optiplex 360
                        is a Desktop PC and has a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Chip. Also I used Kapil's
                        suggestion and disconnected the Ethernet cable from the Dell PC and
                        plugged it into my son's HP laptop and I was able to access the internet.
                        Also when the HP laptop was booting; a message was displayed showing
                        that an error occurred while trying to load BCM 43xx software.
                        If this requires that I download Broadcom drivers; could someone show
                        me what commands to use.

Comment

One thing that I failed to put in my initial post is that the Dell Optiplex 360
                          is a Desktop PC and has a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Chip. Also I used Kapil's
                          suggestion and disconnected the Ethernet cable from the Dell PC and
                          plugged it into my son's HP laptop and I was able to access the internet.
                          Also when the HP laptop was booting; a message was displayed showing
                          that an error occurred while trying to load BCM 43xx software.
                          If this requires that I download Broadcom drivers; could someone show
                          me what commands to use.
                          Right-Click your desktop and in Run Command type "hardware drivers" (without quotes) You should get Hardware Drivers Configure Drivers, open that. Choose STA drivers and install it with the Ethernet cable attached Restart your computer and use Manage Connections to finish the Internet connection to wifi.

Comment

I'm still unable to get a internet connection using the Dell PC.
                            Bob will you give me some help getting the Ethernet connection runnning
                            on the Dell PC. By the way Springfield, Il is my birth place

Comment

I've found more specific information about the Broadcom chip.
                              I opened a terminal and entered the command "lspci | more".
                              The Broadcom was listed as BCM4306. The Broadcom was listed
                              02:03.0, so I entered command "lspci -n | grep 02:03.0" and was
                              given 0000:02:03.0 280 14e4:4320 (rev 3) the 4320 showed
                              (at the ubuntu wireless device website that b43-fwcutter is the
                              proper driver). However, when I ran Command "sudo apt-get
                              install b43-fwcutter"; it returned "couldn't find package b43-fwcutter ".

Comment

Working...
                              X