This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After update, networking is now broken

I installed some automatic updates the other day, and now the computer can't connect to the Internet. It's telling me "Wired interface (enp0s25): IP connection was unavailable". I looked up some guides on restarting the network processes, and tellingly all of them came back with errors saying no such program was installed:

Code:
    $ sudo systemctl restart networking
    Failed to restart networking.service: Unit networking.service not found.
    $ sudo service network-manager restart
    Failed to restart network.manager.service: Unit network-manager.service not found.
    $ ifdown eth0
    Command 'ifdown' not found, but can be installed with:
    sudo apt install ifupdown       # version 0.8.35ubuntu2, or
    sudo apt install netscript-2.4  # version 5.5.3
    I take it that's the source of my problems right there, the fact that neither networking nor network-manager is on here at all. Lord knows where they went, or why, but I assume one of them is a mandatory component of having a working network card. Assuming that I'm right about that, how do I get them back without a way to download them?

Boot into the previous kernel -- for now.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have the same problem with 5.8.0-41 generic kernel and with the previous kernel 5.8.0-38 fails too.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcm73 View Post
        I have the same problem with 5.8.0-41 generic kernel and with the previous kernel 5.8.0-38 fails too.
        With any kernel, if a hardware component isn't working, then it's due to a driver not being found with the kernel. Network drivers can be hit or miss in Linux, depending on the make and model of the specific chip used in the network device. There are utilities in Linux that can help identify the network device down to the chip. One of those utilities is lshw, which is run at the command line.

Open a konsole, and enter:
        Code:
        sudo lshw -c network
        The output should look something like this, depending on your exact configuration:
        Code:
        [john@HP-ENVY-x360 boot]$ sudo lshw -c network
        [sudo] password for john: 
         *-network                 
              description: Wireless interface
              product: Wi-Fi 6 AX201
              vendor: Intel Corporation
              physical id: 14.3
              bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3
              logical name: wlo1
              version: 20
              serial: fc:44:82:a3:c7:c6
              width: 64 bits
              clock: 33MHz
              capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
              configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.8.0-41-generic firmware=55.d9698065.0 QuZ-a0-hr-b0-55.u ip=192.168.5.84 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
              resources: iomemory:600-5ff irq:16 memory:6003244000-6003247fff
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thanks, Today I start the pc and the network works fine and I don't know why. Yesterday I plugged my old "d-link usb dwa-131 wireless-n nano adapter" and it worked without problems.

sudo lshw -c network
          [sudo] contrase?a para javier:
          *-network
          description: Ethernet interface
          product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
          vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
          physical id: 0
          bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
          logical name: enp2s0
          version: 0c
          serial: e0:d5:5e:43:ac:d0
          size: 1Gbit/s
          capacity: 1Gbit/s
          capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet
          physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
          configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverve
          rsion=5.8.0-41-generic duplex=full firmware=rtl8168g-2_0.0.1 02/06/13 ip=192
          .168.0.184 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=1Gbit/s
          resources: irq:16 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:ef100000-ef100fff memo
          ry:e2100000-e2103fff
          Last edited by ajcm73; Feb 02, 2021, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Today I start the pc and the network works fine and I don't know why. Yesterday I plugged my old "d-link usb dwa-131 wireless-n nano adapter" and it worked without problems ...
            It's very possible the older wifi card could have brought in a needed driver. It's good to hear your network connection is working.
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

By the way, my problem turned out to be the router being on the fritz; it was serving wifi but not Ethernet for some reason and had to be rebooted.

Still curious as to what Kubuntu uses to do network stuff if it doesn't include the networking or network-manager packages by default, though. Seeing how every single guide for troubleshooting network stuff assumes you have those.

Comment

As ffar as I know Kubuntu does. Maybe there's an install option that negates that.

Comment

Hello again:

Kubuntu 20.04, kubuntu 20.10, ubuntu 20.10 ethernet and WiFi fails but on kde neon works fine.

Ethernet fails because it doesn't find an IP on enp2s0 and WiFi works fine some minutes and so fails and after works fine, etc.

The pc is connected at secondary router not principal .

Thanks.
                  Last edited by ajcm73; Mar 09, 2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

The issue is likely kernel related so what kernels are you booting to in all those options? What does your netplan configuration looks like on all three?

Please Read Me

Comment

When I am installing kubuntu i have Internet but after boot the first time Internet fails

Comment

I think it was kernel 5.4.69. When I am installing kubuntu I have ethernet access but after when I boot the system first time I have not internet.

Comment

Hello:

Kde Neon testing use kernel 5.4.0-67 its works fine. I suppose that the kernels 5.4.x -70 and up fails. Kernels of kubuntu 20.04.2 and 20.10 and ubuntu 20.04.2.

I am sorry, the debian testing problem is that I don?t boot in graphic mode.

I am windows 10 user but I want learn linux, I like kde , I prefer kubuntu because is more manageable, have softwre sources, can add nvidia drivers. I like the new software and new normal releases,

Today in kde neon updated the kernel from 5.4.0-64 to kernel 5.11.6 and kde neon works fine and network too. Maybe I must update the kernel of kubuntu 20.10 ( 5.8.x) to last stable kernel to see if the network works for me.

I go to install kubuntu 20.10 again, I like knows that information of my network you need, whats command must put in konsole.

Thanks.
                          Last edited by ajcm73; Mar 14, 2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Kubuntu 20.10 install:

At 94% installer crash. Then I reboot in recovery mode and repair packets. I am writing from kubuntu 20.10 with usb wifi.

The install had 5.8.25 kernel, after install 5.8.44, and after update 5.8.45 but this don't works and then I am using 5.8.44
                            Attached Files

Comment

javier@javier-H110M-S2:~$ sudo lshw -c network
                              [sudo] contrase?a para javier:
                              *-network
                              description: Ethernet interface
                              product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                              vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                              physical id: 0
                              bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
                              logical name: enp2s0
                              version: 0c
                              serial: e0:d5:5e:43:ac:d0
                              size: 1Gbit/s
                              capacity: 1Gbit/s
                              capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet
                              physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                              configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverve
                              rsion=5.8.0-44-generic duplex=full firmware=rtl8168g-2_0.0.1 02/06/13 latenc
                              y=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=1Gbit/s
                              resources: irq:16 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:ef100000-ef100fff memo
                              ry:e2100000-e2103fff
                              *-network
                              description: Wireless interface
                              physical id: 2
                              bus info: usb@1:8
                              logical name: wlxc8d3a3f44747
                              serial: c8:d3:a3:f4:47:47
                              capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
                              configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192cu driverversion=5.8.0-44-
                              generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.104 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 8
                              javier@javier-H110M-S2:~$

Comment

Working...
                              X