Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Beerislife great to get my 5Kg bags of Thai Jasmine rice ...
    I was going to suggest the 10 Kg bags (or whatever is closest to American 20 pounds) of that rice (popular here in USA/NM), but maybe not with a 5-minute walk!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Opps! Typo! $120/yr
      Silly! We knew that. Hence the !
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

This isn't worth its own thread: the two, 1TB external drives I mentioned, they're both exactly six years old. They're both ≈60% filled. Neither has shown any signs of impending doom. With all that in mind...

I've been reorganizing my zillion photos over the last few months, completely changing my images' subdirectories in the process. The external drives have the old structure. Given their age AND my revised file structure, I've been thinking about retiring them, and starting fresh with [identical] replacements.

They're both Transcend USB drives.

What do you think? I like the idea of retiring the current ones now, while there are no apparent problems, letting them act as archives, and starting fresh. Opinions?
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

It's purely a matter of personal preference/choice. Me, if the drives aren't showing indications of pending failure, I'd save the expense of buying new ones.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, @Snowhog.

I guess my argument for doing it is just that--there's no sign of failure. So tucking them away for safekeeping, while they're still known to work, seems like a good idea. Especially with my revised directory structure in mind.

I've had replacements sitting in my Amazon cart for ≈2 weeks. I can't seem to make up my mind! The money really isn't a factor. I'm not sure what is! Maybe just the prospect of setting up new drives...I don't know. Never mind! I just went ahead and placed my order.
            Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Jul 06, 2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment

With drives, they work until that "ohno" second after they don't. 1TB drives are not that expensive, especially when they contain some irreplaceable (or at least difficult to replace) content.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                With drives, they work until that "ohno" second after they don't.
                Yes, exactly! And that's precisely what I want to avoid.

1TB drives are not that expensive, especially when they contain some irreplaceable (or at least difficult to replace) content.
                Right again! These excellent-quality, military drop-tested, Transcend drives are <$60 each. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Comment

I ended up only buying Amazon's 100GB plan, for $20/year.

I'm kind of pissed off at myself for having paid Dropbox...for years...under the misguided notion I needed it. Once I remembered, well, had my memory refreshed, about Prime including unlimited photo storage...let's just say I was mad at myself.

I could've saved a bit of money if I'd made use of Prime for photo storage. The rest of my stuff will never reach 100GB, so Amazon Drive's smallest plan is all I need. [Photos don't count against your space.]

Comment

Working...
                  X