This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Drive software?

Kindly note: I've done zip, zilch, zero to look for this myself. Haven't opened Synaptic, haven't searched online. I'd just like to hear, preferably from personal experience, about software that works great with Amazon Drive.

Uploading, downloading, file management, the basic stuff you'd do with a cloud storage account. The ability to upload a directory, including its subdirectories, is a definite plus.

Thanks.

ETA: I found [to my surprise] that Amazon Drive's web portal is really good! I used my default browser, SeaMonkey, this morning to easily upload a few entire directory structures. Went without a hitch, preserving all subdirectories and their contents. No, it's not as nice as having a native Linux program, but it works!
    Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Jul 07, 2020, 05:50 PM.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

No one's using Amazon Drive?!

After ditching Dropbox recently, and hurriedly buying some space on Google Drive, I had a chance to breathe and look at other options. I've had a Prime account on Amazon forever--but failed to look at everything it offers [recently]. So I did...and was reminded that it includes unlimited, full-size photo storage.

Now I'm in the process of uploading a zillion files, and would like a Linux app for the rare times I use a computer to do this. [I'm generally using one of my Android devices, connecting to my computers with my file manager to upload.]

If you're a Prime member, you ought to do what I hadn't in ages--check all of its features! You might be pleasantly surprised, too.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

YOU'RE using Amazon?

lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        YOU'RE using Amazon?

lol
        Wha...why...huh? Why is that surprising? [Don't tell me their servers run windows...]

Comment

There's always google drive........... I bet they don't run Windows.

I looked at Amazon's photo service some time ago, but at the time I saw no way to access things, outside of some rudimentary command line tools. ie no Dolphin or file manager access.

Comment

Maybe this?

https://github.com/yadayada/acd_cli

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post

About

An unmaintained command line interface and FUSE filesystem for Amazon (Cloud) Drive

And then there is this ie, It won't work as Amazon blocked it back in 2018.

Comment

Amazon Prime costs $120 per year (not month!). Its most used "benefit" is free shipping. However, when you check the prices of alternate vendors selling through Amazon you can plainly see that Amazon's price is their price plus shipping, so Amazon's shipping isn't really free for most items.

For that $120 Amazon also gives you "unlimited" storage of full resolution photos, but if you want to store other kinds of files Prime gives you only 5GB. If you want 1TB of storage it is an extra $60/yr. Google's 1TB is $10/mo, or $120/yr.
                So, $180/yr vs $120/yr And GDrive connects via Dolphin. At least it works for me.

I have a symmetrical 500Mb fiber optic connection that gives me at least 350 up and down on Fast.com, but even then the problem with slowness of file transfer over the Internet, because not all connections are as fast as my fiber optic connection, leaves much to be desired.

For a long time I used Mega (Kim Dotcom started it in 2013). It offers 50GB for free. I could connect via a browser, local app for my Kubuntu and for my iPhone. All I had to do was add or remove a file from my local folder and it would be added or removed from my Mega account. My Mega account also had folders which were only accessible from browser. It ran as a service. But, at the time, my RoadRunner account, which advertised 30Mb down, was giving me an average of 12-18 Mb down, and moving files, even in the background, would eat of bandwidth and clock cycles, so I eventually unloaded all my files to local drives, then later to USB sticks. A USB stick or two in my pocket is considerable faster than an Internet connection and considerably more secure. I've also noticed today that only 59% of North America's 37 Internet routers are up. So, for 14 routers a USB stick is more reliable. However, I've been retired since 2008 and haven't taken my computer with me when my wife and I went places, so remote access to a cloud server isn't a necessary requirement.

Considering how Google's been behaving politically (social credit score app for China, and attempting to apply it here, and YT censoring POV's that Google doesn't agree with), I've decided I can get along without Google or Google Search. I've been using DuckDuckGo and StartPage for several years.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 05, 2020, 10:56 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Amazon Prime costs $120 per month.
                  Damn, that's a lot!

For me, Prime is actually a good deal. I pay annually, and I make good use of its 'free' shipping. Sure, I'm aware that some Prime prices are higher than their non-Prime counterparts, but the difference is rarely more than trivial. For example, say an item is $92 with Prime, $88 without--but there's a $7 shipping fee. Prime wins.

And I can't count the times I've bought a single, small item, like a 4-pack of batteries, and didn't have to worry about shipping.

I'm a very conscientious shopper! If Prime wasn't worth its price, I'd cancel it--as I did at some point during my illness, when I just wasn't using it.

Also, there are many products that, though not shown as Prime, have free shipping for Prime members. I make use of that a lot.

I'd been paying for Dropbox for many years. I was downright thrilled there was a Linux app for it. But along the way, my 1TB account got 'upgraded' [on its own] to 2TB--along with a rate increase. I don't want or need 2TB of space, and I didn't appreciate them 'upgrading' my account to a higher price. My billing date was just days away when I decided to dump DB, so I [thought I] needed a replacement immediately. [I didn't know then that your files remain intact; you just can't add anything because you're now out of space.] I grabbed GDrive's 200GB plan, and only uploaded really important files.

Now that I've remembered Prime's unlimited photo storage, I'm using that for my bazillion photos and plan to purchase Amazon Drive file storage for other stuff.

In addition to cloud storage, I also have two 1TB external drives, which are routinely used for backups. So I'm pretty well covered! I'm going to cancel the GDrive plan and buy Amazon's 1TB plan ($60/year). Even WITH my zillion photos, I'll never hit 1TB, so it'll work out well...especially with a Linux app.

Comment

I think/thought Amazon Prime is $12 per month? Whole Foods keep asking whether I'm a member ;-) I tell some clerks that only a small percentage of WF customers are Prime members (is it now 15% or 35% of WF shoppers are also Prime members, can't recall the latest data on that). I'm a good, regular Amazon customer, but have never joined prime. Very seldom do I need a purchase asap, I can easily wait a week or even 7-10 days, or longer. I order $25+ at a time, get the Free (slower) shipping, and that's OK with me. In rare instances, I have needed something asap, and so I pay the $6-$10 shipping fee, so what. Isn't this fascinating, dear? Do tell me more ...
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It's not $120 a month, it's 120ish dollars a year depending on when you signed on.
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Opps! Typo! $120/yr
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Prime is only €36 (some $40) a year in Spain. Used to be €15. Same in Italy, used to be €10.

Comment

Amazon Prime costs me 4,900 yen a year and their next day delivery and free shipping makes it worthwhile. There's an amazon depo less than 5 minutes' walk from my place too! It's great to get my 5Kg bags of Thai Jasmine rice delivered so quickly and at the same price or less than going to Asia Superstore. I also save on transportation and getting a hernia!

Didn't know about the photo upload service though! Prime video isn't worth my time though, there's nothing I want to watch!
                            Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Same as here.
                              On Prime Video... there's not much, but I enjoyed Covert Affairs - it's not actually any good, but it's got Piper Perabo ;·) , The Blacklist and Fleabag - among others.
                              Films, they don't really have much that Netflix hasn't. Good Omens was one, I remember... but it's... Neil Gaiman, may not fit your tastes.
                              Neil Gaiman-wise, I really enjoyed Lucifer (on NF).

Comment

Working...
                              X