This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AppImages will not execute

AppImages will not run on this Kubuntu 19.04 system, nor did they run when I was using Kubuntu 18.10. On this same computer they do run if I boot into Manjaro. This applies to Etcher, which I've given up on, and FreeCAD 0.18, which I really need.

The permissions are correctly set, both user and group. The file is set as executable in the properties window. In the terminal the properties are -rwxrwxrwx. (It didn't work with -rwxr-xr-x either.) When I double-click the file in Dolphin the "Choose Application" window pops up. When I try to run the program from the terminal (./FreeCAD...), I get the message "No such file or directory". The terminal will also not auto-complete the file name, which leads me to think that it is not recognized as an executable file. I do have fuse installed.

So I think I've tried everything that I've read about online, but still no luck. Can anyone give me a tip?

I've never had a problem with Etcher or FreeCAD (and I do use FreeCAD to help fix manifold issues for 3D printing quite extensively) on 18.04.

Originally posted by theber View Post
    When I try to run the program from the terminal (./FreeCAD...), I get the message "No such file or directory".
    This may sound silly, but when I get those issues on occasion, it's typically when I don't do the exact file name correctly. The error could be hard to spot, but that's just what has been my experience. I've taken to rename them to something simpler to keep errors like this down to a minimum. But I've also created desktop files for everything, so they will show up in the launcher and then able to pin to the taskbar, so my need to run from terminal is less and less.

Originally posted by theber View Post
    The terminal will also not auto-complete the file name, which leads me to think that it is not recognized as an executable file. I do have fuse installed.
    I've never had Konsole or Yakuake auto complete and all my AppImages run just fine (Krita, Inkscape, FreeCAD, Slic3r, Synfig etc). I don't think auto complete not working of itself indicative of the system not seeing it as an executable.
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Thanks for replying so quickly on the 4th of July! (It's not a holiday here in Germany.)

I just now tried renaming the file, without success. This time, though, Konsole gave me the error "Permission denied" instead of "No such file or directory". It doesn't help to use "sudo" or "sudo su" either.

Comment

Do you have full rights to the folder that it resides in?

Comment

Are the appimages stored on a separately mounted location? You may not have execution rights to a mounted external drive or partition that's not your home.

"Permissions denied" makes it totally clear you simply do not have permission to do what you're attempting. The fact that sudo doesn't help leads me to believe you have put the appimages in a location with "noexec" as a mount option, which is the default unless specifically mounted with "exec". I believe this applies to all partitions except those mounted as / or /home

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            I believe this applies to all partitions except those mounted as / or /home
            I actually had an issue with no write privileges in the home directory with the Krita resources folders (.share/local/krita) and I actually had to chmod that directly to get it to where I could do anything.

Comment

"No such file or directory" is what you get if there's a broken symbolic link. Permissions on the symbolic link don't count for much either.

I just downloaded FreeCAD_0.18-16117-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage and it runs on my 19.04. What is yours? Could you tell us the complete file name? The output of ls -l on the directory it's in might eliminate possible failures, too.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Actually, alias ll='ls -alF' has been standard (pre-set) on *buntus for years now.
                It's exactly what I used some 25 years ago (easy to type :·), and usually the first I set on a new machine.
                Until , a few years ago, I went to set it, and it was already there

Comment

We have a winner! oshunluvr steered me to the problem. My data is on a separate partition because I boot several different Linux versions. This separate data partition is mounted to /home in fstab, with option "defaults". As a quick check I copied the AppImage directly into /home, and then it ran correctly.

Then out of curiosity I did a little snooping. According to the man pages for mount (in the section FILESYSTEM-INDEPENDENT MOUNT OPTIONS), the "defaults" option includes exec. But the man pages also say that the options can be overridden in the file /proc/mounts. And in that file the mounted partition specifically says noexec. So I just need to modify fstab to include the exec option.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get going.

Comment

Working...
                  X