This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't unmount, drive busy

Something of a newbie here. Just installed the latest Kubuntu (first time install) on SSD, generally running fine. I have another SSD with a storage partition with thousands of files. If I click on that drive in Dolphin but then try to unmount it a short time later, I get a "can't unmount error, drive is busy", even if I did not actually access that drive. I have to wait for a number of minutes before it will let me unmount. Is this because of file indexing going on? I notice that in KSysGuard there is a lot of CPU activity though I have nothing going on that I know of. I don't need file indexing as I know where to look for what. Any pointers? Thanks.

Could be indexing. System Settings > Search would be the first place to adjust that.

Curious, why does it need to be unmounted? Typically, if you have a installed (vs. removable) device, you would define it in fstab rather than letting Dolphin mount it in /media. Then you have more specific control over it. Either way is fine, just wanted you to be aware of options - it's Linux so there are always options

BTW, Welcome to KFN, Kubuntu, and Linux in general. Happy Holidays.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Australis777 View Post
      Something of a newbie here. Just installed the latest Kubuntu (first time install) on SSD, generally running fine. I have another SSD with a storage partition with thousands of files. If I click on that drive in Dolphin but then try to unmount it a short time later, I get a "can't unmount error, drive is busy", even if I did not actually access that drive. I have to wait for a number of minutes before it will let me unmount. Is this because of file indexing going on? I notice that in KSysGuard there is a lot of CPU activity though I have nothing going on that I know of. I don't need file indexing as I know where to look for what. Any pointers? Thanks.
      This is actually a normal condition.

Because you clicked on it in Dolphin, you are accessing the drive. You don't have to open a file for that condition to exist, only access the drive and display the filesystem contents. The solution is to leave that drive by clicking on some other location, or file not a part of the drive. You can then unmount it, or whatever you need to do next.

I say "normal", as this condition is something I experience from with USB drives in Dolphin. My "normal" could be someone else's "strange"
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
      X