This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP4 Video editor

Looking for an MP4 video editor for 18.04.
    Simple stuff.
    Trimming length.
    Fade in and out.
    Simple Titles and credits.

Nothing fancy.

Thanks
    G
    Greg
    W9WD

Kdenlive

Comment

Doesn't seem to want to take my MP4 file.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

I've used Openshot and Shotcut this past year.

Comment

Doesn't seem to want to take my MP4 file.
          Can you elaborate on this a little?

if kdenlive is not liking the file, then may need to look at the file itself, or what created it. mp4 is a very standard video format, and kdenlive fully supports it.

Maybe try a different tool such as Openshot (a bit simpler interface, imo), but if you are having problems adding a video clip to the 'project bin', in kdenlive, openshot may not like it either.
          Also, you can get video info from vlc, and probably other video players, that shouls show video file codec and format info. Maybe whatever produces the video is using an 'odball' codec, perhaps?

Also, as you are using 18.04, I'd recommend trying out appimages for both Kdenlive and Openshot, the versions in the 18.04 repos are going to be quite outdated. Both have seen good improvements since 2018, and the self-contained appimages should include most if not all codecs, or at least have a set of codecs and ffmpeg that work well together.

Comment

When I try to open the file I get...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	644990
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

Yesterday I shot about 22 minutes of video on my Panasonic video camera which came out as an MTS file. It was right at 4gb.
              I could not find any software that would edit MTS files. I tried a couple of converters to change it to an MP4 file.
              The one that worked was VLC Media Player.
              That converted it down to about a 400 meg MP4 file. It looks great when I play it on VLC.
              That's about as far as I have gotten.
              I just need to trim it and do a fade in and out. Maybe add a title.

It never seemed like it was this hard before.
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                When I try to open the file I get...
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]9217[/ATTACH]
                Well, yes, an MTS video file is not a kdenlive project file. In most video editors, you have a project that you add clips to. Clips being video files. The project file holds all the info about edits, transitions, etc.,to be performed and is not a video file itself.

Once you open the editor, you have to add clips to it.

Name:	Screenshot_20201214_140820.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	644991

Name:	Screenshot_20201214_140957.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	644992
                Then you drag a clip to the timeline

Name:	Screenshot_20201214_141047.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	644993

Name:	Screenshot_20201214_141418-1.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	644994

Openshot, and most if not all video editors on Linux work in the same manner.

Openshot has a UI that is a bit simpler than kdenlive

Pitivi and Shotcut are simpler alternatives, but I believe these still use the project sort of focus.

Both kdenlive and Openshot have a decent number of tutorials on their basic usage,
                I favor openshot myself. Even if their own how-to series is a little outdated in the UI, they still helped me using the latest version.

this is a good short summary of openshot:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKRsMO_6Rw

Here is a full series of them from openshot's creator
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hSwvoyZgLp1Q0T
                Last edited by claydoh; Dec 14, 2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Also, openshot may support native MTS video clips, and I\ll wager kdenlive does as well, it is supposedly better to work on hi-res files, then render to what you want them to bne, resolution and quality-wise.

Comment

I'll keep trying.
                    Thanks for the info and your time.
                    Greg
                    W9WD

Comment

You can do most of that with AviDemux. Don't be fooled by the name it supports much more then the AVI container
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I gave up and went with DaVinci Resolve on a Win7 machine.
                        Thanks though.
                        Greg
                        W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                          I gave up and went with DaVinci Resolve on a Win7 machine.
                          Thanks though.
                          Resolve has a native Linux version.......

Comment

I tried that version first and it had a bunch of problems that you would probably understand and know how to fix.
                            I didn't want to bother everyone and I got to worrying that it had a virus since it is free software which seemed to good to be true.
                            I deleted it and tried to download the Win7 version but I guess the download software looks at what computer you are downloading with and gives it what it thinks you need.
                            It was an ordeal specially since the download file is 1.6gb which I had to do several times.
                            So I had to plug in the Win7 computer (my graphics computer with expensive software on it) which I really resist connecting to the internet because of all the awful people out there that get off on destroying other people's computers.
                            It seems to be working now, but I guess we will see.

The other good part of this software is that there are many many Youtube tutorials on how to make it work, which I need.
                            Greg
                            W9WD

Comment

Working...
                            X