Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For some reason Kubuntu isn't telling me that I to reboot after a kernel update.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason Kubuntu isn't telling me that I to reboot after a kernel update.

For some reason Kubuntu isn't telling me that I need to reboot after a kernel update anymore. Is this a bug or a feature? Because Kubuntu use to tell me that needed to reboot after installing a kernel update.

Still works here. Look for the file /var/run/reboot-required or test by creating it and see what happens. Maybe the notifier got turned off somehow? That file just has to exist to trigger the message.

How are you updating?

Please Read Me

Comment

Mine hasn't bugged me since 18.04 either. i don't remember if I set an option, answered a question, or what. It's not a problem for my system, since I reboot daily anyway.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

IIRC, you won't be prompted to reboot if it's just an update to the running kernel. IF it's a point-release of the running kernel, or a new kernel, then you are prompted. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well on my Linux Mint laptop I just did an update for it and it told me that I needed to reboot. Anyway I just went to System Settings> Notifications> Other Notifications and I disabled Required Reboot and re-enabled it again hopefully that will fix this issue.

Comment

If you look at the message from the updater it will tell you exactly what packages required the reboot. The file is: /var/run/reboot-required.pkgs. Here's the contents from of that file from my server:

libc6

The contents of /var/run/reboot-required are just the message itself:

*** System restart required ***

Yesterdays update broke my desktop system (rollback saved me again) so I'm going to wait a bit before atempting it again.

Please Read Me

Comment

Don't have one of those! (/var/run/reboot-required)

Unless it is hiding somewhere else:
              Code:
              john@john-Desktop:/var/run$ ls
              acpid.pid      crond.reboot  lock                samba            thermald                              user
              acpid.socket   cryptsetup    log                 sddm             tmpfiles.d                            utmp
              alsa           cups          mlocate.daily.lock  sendsigs.omit.d  u-d-c-gpu-0000:01:00.0-0x10de-0x0f02  uuidd
              avahi-daemon   dbus          mount               shm              u-d-c-nvidia-was-loaded               wpa_supplicant
              blkid          initctl       NetworkManager      spice-vdagentd   udev
              console-setup  initramfs     pcscd               sudo             udisks2
              crond.pid      irqbalance    plymouth            systemd          unattended-upgrades.lock
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Yesterdays update broke my desktop system (rollback saved me again) so I'm going to wait a bit before atempting it again.
                Is this a Neon system? If so, do you use the Event Calendar to replace the stock clock tray widget? if so then look at this.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 13, 2020, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't expect to see those files. They are wiped after a reboot. They would only be there when a reboot was being called for.

I have a red, blinking, scroll in my desktop conky that reads that file if it exists:

${voffset 220}${if_existing /var/run/reboot-required}${color5}${scroll 24 *** REBOOT REQUIRED ***}${endif}

Please Read Me

Comment

No biggie, I reboot anyway

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      If you look at the message from the updater it will tell you exactly what packages required the reboot. The file is: /var/run/reboot-required.pkgs. Here's the contents from of that file from my server:

libc6

The contents of /var/run/reboot-required are just the message itself:

*** System restart required ***

OK I'm looking under /var/run/ but I don't see reboot-required but I do see crond.reboot.

And I'm using the Discover Software Center to update my system/programs.

Comment

And I'm using the Discover Software Center to update my system/programs.
                        Have you tried using apt for the updates and upgrades? Such as:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt update

followed by

sudo apt full-upgrade

Comment

I am also having this issue. Sometimes it tells me to reboot, other times it does not. The last 2 updates were not "Reboot required" (but I always do it). The one before was required.
                          I am using HWE, so I thought maybe it was a change in that, but it's been random.
                          Could this be an issue with the notifier?
                          Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Working...
                          X