This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Updating and downloading programs don't work

Muon and Discover don't work for anything.

This problem actually happened to me 5 months ago and I got help here but this time the message I get is a bit different.

This is the message I get on when I try to update
    Attached Files

You should be able to delete the offending file shown in the error message

You can run apt update or apt-full-upgrade to get the correct file name, so you can copy and paste the full path and name

ie: sudo rm /the/full/path/to/the/bad/annoying/corrupted/file

https://itsfoss.com/unable-to-parse-package-file/
    Last edited by claydoh; Jul 12, 2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

That's not a valid filename for an apt list file. Is it possible you attempted a manual list-add and typo'd it?

Open the file with Kate or Kwrite. If it's gibberish, delete it. If it looks something like:
      Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]###[/COLOR]
      ### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
      # You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
      deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

[/FONT]
      You should be able to rename it and re-load apt update/

Please Read Me

Comment

That's not a valid filename for an apt list file. Is it possible you attempted a manual list-add and typo'd it?

It is not a sources list, the /var/lib/apt/lists dir is a " Storage area for state information for each package resource
        specified in sources.list(5)", the files with 'InRelease" have the gpg key info, the other files are lists of packages. Removing any of these files is fine as updating regenerates these.
        Last edited by claydoh; Jul 13, 2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I ran sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
          Answered Y and now everything works fine

Should I still remove the file '"dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease " ?
          Last edited by ronshor; Jul 14, 2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

are you getting the error?
            if not then you won't need to delete anything

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              are you getting the error?
              if not then you won't need to delete anything
              I can get updates now but I still get an error . (pic attached )
              Another thing is that I don't get an option to upgrade to 20.4. Not that I'm interested to upgrade now but I would like to see the option.
              Attached Files

Comment

You probably want to delete both dl.google.com files from /var/lib/apt/lists and let it regenerate them.

As to the 20.04 upgrade from 18.04, as per usual, Ubuntu LTS releases don't get an upgrade prompt until the '.1' release, which will be in a few weeks or a month. One can start the process manually.
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades/Kubuntu

Comment

I forgot a bout it for a few days and now I get another error after every update (pic attached ).

Can you please give me the exact command line.

I'm not used to work with the Konsole and I'm afraid to make a mistake and delete something that shouldn't be deleted.
                  Attached Files

Comment

a web search should bring up the fix for google making some changes to their repos.

Just run sudo apt update, which (I think) will reveal a prompt to OK the changes. You can't do any damage with the update command, nor the command to perform any upgrades; [#]sudo apt full-upgrade[/#]. You are prompted before you proceed so you can bail if you don't like what you see.

Comment

I did the "sudo apt update" and now everything seems fine.
                      Let's hope it stays that way

Thanks a lot for you help !!

Comment

Working...
                      X