Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Software compatibility question ...

If software works on ubuntu will it work on kubuntu, and visa versa?

Short answer: Yes. Long(er) answer: Mostly. Really long answer: It depends.

Software written for Ubuntu will run on Kubuntu (OS version compatibility applies). But installing Ubuntu specific software (packages) in Kubuntu will bring in A LOT of Ubuntu cruft, and many K purists don't want that. Conversely, installing Kubuntu specific software (packages) in Ubuntu will bring in KDE/Plasma specific cruft that U purists might not want.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, I understand.

Comment

The difference is Desktop Environment and the two different toolkits they use. Kubuntu KDE/Plasma = QT and Ubuntu Gnome = GTK.

So what Snowhog is referring to is whenever you install a GTK program it may (usually, but not always) have a lot of GTK dependencies and drag a lot of that stuff with it. Also, rarely, the program may not look exactly like the developer intended because of the differences in how KDE renders GTK or sometimes a missing thingy that isn't technically a depends but still causes visual abnormalities.

Core software is compatible because we use the same base as Ubuntu.

IMO, install whatever you want and forget "political" arguments about QT vs GTK. If you're concerned about something you're considering installing, build a VirtualBox virtual Kubuntu and install it there first.

In my world, since I use BTRFS for my installs, I just take a snapshot and revert to it if I don't like the results of some installed software.

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr, by QT do you mean Qt Creator? It appears that the product is not really free.
          Last edited by dagmann; Sep 28, 2019, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dagmann View Post
            oshunluvr, by QT do you mean Qt Creator? It appears that the product is not really free.
            Qt creator is just a development IDE for Qt toolkit (and it's completely free software [as is Qt], using the LGPL license).

Toolkit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(software)
            QT Creator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_Creator
            Last edited by kubicle; Sep 28, 2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
              X