This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading from PPA vs command line

I want to download ViddCutter from the PPA .

It's not the first time I'm downloading apps from there and it's not that I was not aware that there are actually 2 options to download the PPA. With the command line or manually by adding the PPA to software sources. But I was just wondering, are these two methods bring the same result ?
    Am I'm going to get updates to the program if I use the command line ?

https://launchpad.net/~ozmartian/+archive/ubuntu/apps

Using the command line is super easy and fast, and the preferred method. There is no difference between the two methods, and the command line takes care of adding not only the PPA repo URL info, but also the needed GPG signing key.

Comment

Generally, if you enable a PPA, you will get updates to whatever you installed from it.

To install this from the command line, you really only need:

Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ozmartian/apps[/COLOR]
      [/FONT][FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]sudo apt install vidcutter[/COLOR]
      [/FONT]

Please Read Me

Comment

Your commands are different than what's on the PPA link.

This is what is written on the page

"sudo add-apt-repository ppazmartian/apps
        sudo apt-get update"

For some reason there isn't an install command there and on the other hand your commands don't have the update command that is written on the page ...so what should it be ?
        Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 28, 2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing you haven't tried it? The "apt-get update" command reloads the package info from all linked repositories. When you add a new repository using add-apt-repository, it automatically runs apt-get update. If you run the first command, you will see the update occur immediately after. If for some reason it does not, you would not be able to install your new program until you ran apt-get (or just apt) update. Nothing bad would happen.

As far as the ozmartian page that's from Launchpad and ALL the Launchpad PPA pages have that exact format and it hasn't changed in a decade. Older versions of *buntu's might still require apt-get update so it's still there.

If you don't run the install command, nothing would be installed. The Launchpad instructions are how to add the PPA, not install any of it's software. You have to do that on your own.

If you want to add the ozmartian PPA and install vidcutter, the two commands I listed above are all that is needed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Okay
            Just one more question, if I just add the two lines manually from the PPA to software sources, will it install the application or just add the repository ?

Comment

Adding a PPA and installing a software package are two different things no matter how you do it.

No packages or software are ever automatically installed unless they are a dependency of something else you are installing.

1) Add the PPA
              2) Install the program

Please Read Me

Comment

I did it with your 2 commands and it worked fine !
                Thanks a lot for your help

It seems like a very nice and simple video editor.

Comment

No problem. I forget sometimes not everyone has more than two decades of Linux experience

I installed it too just to have a look. IMO simple video editing is one of the areas that Linux is somewhat behind windows on. I've used Lightworks and a couple others but they're very complicated for a simple task like a trim and merge short videos. The command line tools work, but they are not easy to use.

If you want to see something a bit more feature rich, this is new on the horizon: https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/

Looks promising

Please Read Me

Comment

I did a little research on video editing programs in the past two weeks and heard a lot of good things about Olive from bloggers on Youtube that use it everyday for editing their work. They say even though it's still in alpha it's better and more stable than Kdenlive .

I found a very good video tutorial.
                    This is lesson one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2t7_6X9m4M

It's easier to learn this way and this guy is very good at teaching (unlike so many others...)

For simple video editing, VLC media player with its record button and its ability to merge files will probably do the best job. You can actually make clips on the fly while watching the video for the first time and save a lot of time !!

VidCutter which I haven't used yet can give a bit more than just cutting on the fly and good old Avidmux that I've been using for years is also very good for simple tasks.

Comment

thanks for the detailed info!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X