X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UHD Resolution

Hello,
    yesterday I got my new 4K monitor. And I got problems with the user interface of some software. I use Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and my monitor is not a TV . It is a Philips 4K monitor.

Some programs use the settings of the system for the size of fonts of the user interface. Under "Appearence - Application Style - GNOME Application Style" in the system settings I choose a big font. This way the text of the user interface of my email client Evolution and the sub menues of the favorites in Vivaldi browser look good. But other software like Gimp, Incscape, Audacity, etc. interpret this setting in a different way. Now here I got very big fonts. I would like to make it smaller.

In addition in Gimp, Inkscape, Dolphin, Evolution and others the icons are tiny now. Is there any opportunity to make them bigger?
    I would appreciate it if someone would help me. I think I am not the first one who has such problems after changing to a 4K monitor.

Kind regards,
    Sigurd

In System Settings over in the Monitor section, you can scale the entire desktop, which seems easier than messing with font sizes. You may still have to increase your font DPI to a much higher number, say 192 or so (as opposed to increasing the font sizes) xorg seems to like 96 for *everything*

After increasing the DPI, you should have better success, and need smaller font size increases to tweak things. There still may be anomalies, though. high DPI screens are still not as well supported as they are in those other OSs just yet, though newer Plasma versions than what you have in 18.04 have some improvements in this area.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jun 05, 2019, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Hi claydoh,
      Your idea is great. I went into the system settings - display and monitor. There is a button for scaling the display. It was on 1.0 and I changed it on 1.8. By changing back the font size in "Appearence - Application Style - GNOME Application Style" I got back fine font sizes in all the applications. Thank you very much.
      But there is still another problem. The Font size is fine now but the icons didn't get bigger in several applications. Please find attached the screen shot of PDF-Shuffler and Gimp. What can I do to make the icons bigger?
      Kind regards
      Sigurd

PDF-Shuffler
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190605_153856.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	644203
      Gimp

Name:	Screenshot_20190605_154018.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	644204

Comment

Well, Gimp in particular does its own thing, it is still using the ancient Gtk2, I believe, and also has it's own UI customization settings
        something like this should exist in the current version still:

https://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Icon-Size-in-GIMP

No idea what to do about the other software, never heard of it nor used it.

Comment

Okay, the icon size in the icon field of Gimp above I already could increase. But it looks like that some other applications take the icon size still from GTK2. I can see the tiny icons in the system settings for GTK2. But I can not change the size. Is there any tool to manipulate GTK2 settings?
          For me it looks like that some of the applications are not yet ready for a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. And I am wondering why? 4K monitors are available for some years now.

Kind regards,
          Sigurd

Comment

I have a UHD display and I tried a Scale Display value of 1.8 and that worked OK. However I do video editing with Kdenlive and I could not get that to work in the areas of cutting and moving clips with keyboard and mouse options. I found that putting Scale Display back to 1, Kdenlive worked correctly. I now have my dpi=192 and have changed Gimp so that my icons are easy to view.

When I do a new installation I have an Update text file which contains the following for Gimp: "System Settings > Application Style > Gnome Application Style (GTK) Change GTK Themes for GTK2 to Raleigh & GTK3 Default". I hope this if of some use to you.

Comment

Hi,
              This is a good idea. I changed the scale value from 1.0 to 1.8 too. And the fonts are fine now. The icon field below the menu line in Gimp is no problem anymore. I could make it bigger in the settings.

But I still have a problem with tiny icons in several applications. Obviously these applications use the settings of GTK2. I can see these settings of GTK2 in the system settings. But I can not change them. Where can I find the GTK2 Icons? I would like to replace them with bigger Icons.

Kind regards,
              Sigurd

Comment

On my System Settings > Application Style, I have in the GNOME/GTK tab the following options:

Name:	Settings_Application_Style.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	644206

In this image you can see the line Font: and there is an option to change the listed font as well as its size.

Comment

Hi,
                  That is what I see too. But in the line of "GTK2 theme" you have choosen " Raleigh" and right of it is a button. Press it an you can see the theme Raleigh. Here I would like to change settings for the icons and that's no possible. It is only for information. But I need to increase the size of the icons.
                  Kind regards,
                  Sigurd

Comment

My new laptop has a 15" 4K screen. I have set it to 200 zoom but GIMP is still too small.

I found this but haven't tried it:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-GI...e-Icons-Themes

Please Read Me

Comment

I changed Gimp to be more useable some time ago and I think I did it by going to Preferences > Display and setting "Monitor Resolution" to "Enter manually" and putting the Horizontal and Vertical to 250.000 ppi.

I hope my memory is correct and this works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                        I changed Gimp to be more useable some time ago and I think I did it by going to Preferences > Display and setting "Monitor Resolution" to "Enter manually" and putting the Horizontal and Vertical to 250.000 ppi.

I hope my memory is correct and this works for you.
                        That change made no difference in the icon size here

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          That change made no difference in the icon size here
                          Sorry that I gave you the bum steer. I would suggest that you upgrade to Gimp 2.10 using.
                          Code:
                          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
                          Then go to Preferences > Interface >Icon Theme. In this area you may want to select say Legacy for the Icon theme and then at the bottom of the Icon Theme window, select Custom icon size and set to Huge.

You should now be able to enjoy Gimp.

I unfortunately inadvertently respond to queries from Eoan which has Gimp 2.10 and I am now on 18.04 with Gimp 2.10 working well.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                            Sorry that I gave you the bum steer. I would suggest that you upgrade to Gimp 2.10 using.
                            Code:
                            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
                            Then go to Preferences > Interface >Icon Theme. In this area you may want to select say Legacy for the Icon theme and then at the bottom of the Icon Theme window, select Custom icon size and set to Huge.

You should now be able to enjoy Gimp.

I unfortunately inadvertently respond to queries from Eoan which has Gimp 2.10 and I am now on 18.04 with Gimp 2.10 working well.
                            Understood. The link I referenced was the fix for the previous and default version of GIMP. You're absolutely correct - if you install 2.10 you don't need a fix. I had forgotten that. I have 2.10 on my desktop, but not on the laptop.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                            X