This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Junk-ware? How to proceed?

For the past two days, I keep getting pop-ups from my Notifications (in the system tray, 18.04), like these:

Hey You!
    Hey there, wanna get together tonight?
    5 new friend requests
    McCafee License Expired Today!
    Slow Computer? Speed up your PC now!
    100% Free Tactical Knife Set!

Looks like I picked up some sort of pest (from some shaky site I probably clicked on).

How do I proceed to get rid of this? Any tips would help!

This is not a real convenient time to re-install, but will squeeze it in if that's me only/best choice.

I haven't looked in Muon to see what new packages may have been installed, would that be where to track this down? Edit: I don't see anything obvious in Muon History, and nothing installed since 4 days ago.
    Last edited by Qqmike; May 20, 2019, 06:56 AM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Maybe: "If you go to “System Settings” you can find “Notifications” in the Personalization section. You have a drop down list “Event Source”. Check what applications are there and what permissions they have." (Ref: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/ads-pop-up-in-notification-bar-solved/37334)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sounds like a browser exploit. Have you tried killing all your internet browsers and see if the messages still come?

Please Read Me

Comment

have you been , "accidentally" allowing "notifications" from websites in firefox this was the case for me a wile back ,

if yes (in firefox) go to preferences>privacy&security>scroll down to "permissions" and check the "notifications" settings .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK, guys, so I checked everything you mentioned.

Vinny: Yep, that was it. The offending site was sitting there like a sore thumb, in plain site. Thanks.

Snowhog: Nice tip about:

“System Settings” you can find “Notifications” in the Personalization section. You have a drop down list “Event Source”. Check what applications are there and what permissions they have."
          But there was nothing offending there, in this case.

Thanks for all your help. It seems that Vinny's tip should do the trick here.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

and, btw, along the lines of Vinny's, for Chrome, looks like this:

Settings -- Content Settings -- Notifications -- and there is Block and Allow.

Comment

Working...
            X