This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ark archiver question

Hi. I am using Ark 17.12.3. I am trying to do something as simple as archiving an entire folder (as opposed to individual files).

I am unable to accomplish this.

The wiki https://userbase.kde.org/Ark states
    • Also on the Archive menu is Add Folder which can pull a whole directory into the archive

I do not have this option and I am unable to drag/drop any directory from Dolphin into the Ark window.

Thanks for any assistance.

EDIT:

Apparently, after more testing, it seems that the folder I wanted to compress/password (in the home directory) cannot be archived (.7z) but it can be compressed to a .tar archive. So be it.
    Last edited by JohnTheBike; May 10, 2019, 10:27 PM.

you cant right click the folder and select "compress to" then chose 7zip as type ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I can. Ark will not proceed with my request. There is no error message of any kind, it simply will not execute the request. It is isolated to one particular program folder that is in the Home directory.

Comment

Is the problematic folder 'ordinary'; isn't a link to a folder that resides elsewhere?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I also don't have the Add Folder option but you can select a folder when using the Add Files... option. If you aren't able to create a 7z file check that you have p7zip installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric-ATS View Post
            I also don't have the Add Folder option but you can select a folder when using the Add Files... option. If you aren't able to create a 7z file check that you have p7zip installed.
            this is correct , you must have the packages for the type your trying to work with , like p7zip and p7zip-full and zip for older zip files . theirs also some rar packages if you need to work with RAR files .

Ark is front end to work with the associated programs .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Is the problematic folder 'ordinary'; isn't a link to a folder that resides elsewhere?
              It is, I suppose, ordinary, yes. Again, this folder is the only one I have tested that will not compress to a .7z format. The files within the folder can be individually added to a .7z archive but the entire folder can only be compressed to tar.gz.

At this point it will have to suffice because whatever the anomaly is I can't figure it out.

Otherwise, Ark functions perfectly.

Comment

Launch Ark from the command line and see what errors show when attempting the 7zip compression on the troublesome folder.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X