This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Removing Kernel 4.15.0-33

I am using Kubuntu 18.04 and everything is up-to-date. I noticed that I still have Linux 4.15.0-33 installed, even though I just updated to 4.15.0-45 today. I tried to get rid of it using apt autoremove but it wasn't removed. Should I get rid of it using Muon or should I just let it be?

Assuming that it's only your 'other installed' kernel; meaning you have two installed; no. If for any reason you were not able to boot using the 'current' kernel, the previous one becomes a 'life boat'.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, I have two lifeboats, the previous one (4.15.0-44), and 4.15.0-33. I always keep the previous kernel for emergencies, but this one (0-33) seems to have lingered on since installation of Bionic Beaver. Probably I didn't autoremove it when I should have.

Comment

Use Muon Package Manager then and search on 4.15.0-33 and select all that are kernel related for purging.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Or in Konsole try:

sudo apt purge 4.15.0-33

That should find and remove anything related to that kernel along with it.

Please Read Me

Comment

The Konsole was much faster. Thanks, it's gone now.

Comment

If you want to get rid of all your old kernels and their associated kernel headers and kernel modules, the easiest way is:
              Code:
              sudo apt autoremove
              This will also uninstall all old/superseded packages, not just kernels. It will leave just one old kernel and the current kernel. Before doing so, the above command will list all packages that will be uninstalled and the amount of space this will save and ask you if you want to proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by kilgoretrout View Post
                If you want to get rid of all your old kernels and their associated kernel headers and kernel modules, the easiest way is:
                Code:
                sudo apt autoremove
                This will also uninstall all old/superseded packages, not just kernels. It will leave just one old kernel and the current kernel. Before doing so, the above command will list all packages that will be uninstalled and the amount of space this will save and ask you if you want to proceed.
                From the first post in this thread;
                I tried to get rid of it using apt autoremove but it wasn't removed.
                Autoremove for kernels is controlled in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ and if something interrupts it or it gets out-of-whack it doesn't fix itself. You have to manually remove it, which is what the OP did.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X