Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy Folders and Files from Mint to Kubuntu.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy Folders and Files from Mint to Kubuntu.

I have data files - mostly LibreOffice, music files, image files (png, jpg), and mp4 files on a Linux Mint partition in a triple boot set up. (Mint Mate, W10, Kubuntu 18.04).

I would like to backup these data on a new 4TB HDD using Kubuntu. All the data were originally created and stored using the Mint install. Is it possible to do such a backup? if so, what is the easiest way of doing it? And what is the fastest?

Thanks.

I'm sure almost any Kubuntu backup solution will work just fine, and that would include CLI tools such as rsync.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thanks, will give it a try.

Comment

Assuming the drives are on the same system, one could just copy the folders/files as desired. Or even leave them there and mount or link to the folders.

Please Read Me

Comment

If you're doing an actual backup, then the backup target should be an isolated copy (i.e., file copy to a medium that is not a routine part of the system). From there you can restore/copy to any other location as needed or desired. If you simply want to move files from one disk to another within the same system, then just copy without an intermediate backup and trash the original source. I would avoid linking files from one place to another, simply because it does nothing for availability - should something happen to the source of the linked file.

Of course if the files/data have value to you, then periodic backups are an absolute necessity.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

The drives are on the same network - different machines - at home. I have decided to copy the folder and files over manually. It takes a while but I don't find backup software easy to use. I looked into 'rsync' but I couldn't understand how to use it.

Perhaps I am prejudiced by bad experiences with Windows Ghost and such-like which backed up files giving them odd domain names. I once tried to 'recover' files backed up by one of these programs - as an experiment to see if it really worked. It didn't.

I agree, periodic backups are essential!

Comment

I had a re-think about rsync. If anyone cares to help, this sums up what I wish to do:

On a PC called Hansel I have a folder called George. This folder has many subfolders and files.

I wish to copy these to a PC called Snow-White on a home network. At present I can link the two PCs with ssh and get access from Snow-White to folder George (Hansel/user/George).

I could laboriously copy bunches of files over manually but life is short. So, if I were to use rsync, how would I do it? I would like to retain subfolder names, and after the first run, I would like subsequent copy runs to resync only those folders/files which are new, or which have changed. I also wish to retain the folder George on Hansel. I wish to copy, not move.

The two machines are in the same room so I am confused by the terminology - ‘remote’ server – which is often used in examples of how to use rsync.

I’d be grateful for advice.

Comment

rsync follows the usual linux command syntax:

program options source target

rsync -avu /from/here /to/here

The options "-avu" are;

a means "archive mode" - recursive and keeps file attributes and ownership among other things
                v means "verbose" - shows you each file as it copies
                u means "update" - prevents writing over newer files

You can also add --delete which removes files from the target that don't exist on the source - a true folder-to-folder match.

Now using rsync over ssh is a bit more complicated. That looks something like this:

From Hansel:
                rsync -avu -e ssh /hansel/home/george/ george@snowwhite/home/george/

If you're not truly syncing the two folders, just doing a one-time copy, rcp (remote copy) might be better as it's an ssh tool.

Please Read Me

Comment

As an aside, there is also grsync with a gui.
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                    As an aside, there is also grsync with a gui.
                    Interesting - didn't know about that. Looking at it, it still seems a little education as to what it does is required - or at least a good idea - and I didn't see an option to use ssh.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you both. Very helpful. I wondered about rcp. Once I have the first copy made, I guess I can then use rsync to update/backup.

But what is meant by 'remote server'? In the case of a home network is the remote server merely the destination PC?

Comment

Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
                        But what is meant by 'remote server'? In the case of a home network is the remote server merely the destination PC?
                        Kind of. The terms are very general in this usage. They're actually descriptions more than labels.

"Server" means the PC is running a process that allows some sort of file or process access. Alternately, a "client" is a PC that has access rights and capability to connect to the "server". So in your case, the PC that your are ssh-ing into is - in this usage - an ssh "server". In other words, it's running the ssh server program that allows other computers to log into it using ssh. The computer you're on that you type "ssh" into to connect to the server is the "client".

"Remote" means "not this PC, but another one." The alternate would be "local". So if the ssh server program is running on the computer you're in front of, it's a "local server". If ssh server is running on some other computer, it's a "remote server."

In the case of ssh (and most other file and process sharing programs), the access is a one way street. The "server" doesn't access the "client", only the other way around. So if you wanted to connect both directions - allow commands to be sent from PC1 to PC2 and PC2 to PC1, both would have to be running ssh server and then either could act as a client.

An example would be - like in my case - I have a dedicated server PC - no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor. It runs ssh, nfs, samba, Nextcloud, Webmin, postgres, cups, dlna, Plex and transmission servers. I access these features from my desktop PC or any other PC or device on my network. My purpose is so that my wife can print from her computer or the TV can play videos or the media center can play music without my desktop PC having to be on and available. I cannot attach a keyboard and monitor to my server PC and access my desktop PC because my desktop PC isn't running any "server" programs.

That clear it up at all?

Please Read Me

Comment

@ oshunluvr, I find that to be a very good explanation of these things. As with JoHubb, I have been a bit unclear about the various distinctions and had just a very abstract, non-operational understanding of it all. (Not any issue here, yet, with just standalone PCs and laptops, but useful to know what is possible.)
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Kind of. The terms are very general in this usage. They're actually descriptions more than labels.

"Server" means the PC is running a process that allows some sort of file or process access. Alternately, a "client" is a PC that has access rights and capability to connect to the "server". So in your case, the PC that your are ssh-ing into is - in this usage - an ssh "server". In other words, it's running the ssh server program that allows other computers to log into it using ssh. The computer you're on that you type "ssh" into to connect to the server is the "client".

"Remote" means "not this PC, but another one." The alternate would be "local". So if the ssh server program is running on the computer you're in front of, it's a "local server". If ssh server is running on some other computer, it's a "remote server."

In the case of ssh (and most other file and process sharing programs), the access is a one way street. The "server" doesn't access the "client", only the other way around. So if you wanted to connect both directions - allow commands to be sent from PC1 to PC2 and PC2 to PC1, both would have to be running ssh server and then either could act as a client.

An example would be - like in my case - I have a dedicated server PC - no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor. It runs ssh, nfs, samba, Nextcloud, Webmin, postgres, cups, dlna, Plex and transmission servers. I access these features from my desktop PC or any other PC or device on my network. My purpose is so that my wife can print from her computer or the TV can play videos or the media center can play music without my desktop PC having to be on and available. I cannot attach a keyboard and monitor to my server PC and access my desktop PC because my desktop PC isn't running any "server" programs.

That clear it up at all?
                            Thank you very much, oshunluvr. Your explanation is very helpful and more or less in keeping with what I thought. 'Client' and 'Server' I was happy with. It was this 'remote' designation which caused me difficulty.

In fact, the geography has nothing to do with it. In the context of using ssh, the designation 'local' or 'remote' just depends on which direction the transfer is taking place. The same PC can, therefore, be either 'local' or 'remote' at different times or on different days etc.

I hope I have that right.
                            Last edited by JoHubb; Jan 07, 2019, 03:06 AM.

Comment

In fact, the geography has nothing to do with it.
                              Well said.

In the context of using ssh, the designation 'local' or 'remote' just depends on which direction the transfer is taking place. The same PC can, therefore, be either 'local' or 'remote' at different times or on different days etc.

I hope I have that right.
                              Precisely.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X