This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Conky Show, Tell, and Question

It took many hours of googling, searching through conky documentation, and analyzing others' config files to get my conky sceen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_Conky-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	649425

I figured out how to display my NAS drive under Disk Usage > Data, but only when it's mounted to my system, otherwise Data is the last entry. I was surprised I could use an if / endif statement in the TEXT section. Anyway, to my question. Does anyone know how I can format the Memory > /dev/zram0 and zram 1 lines so the bytes are in MB? The output is actually
    Code:
    ${execi 6000 cat /proc/swaps |grep -m 1 'zram0' |awk '{print $4" / "$3}'}
    , but I could have just as easily used "swapon -s" instead of the cat command. The challenge is that the outputs cannot be formatted the way I want.

I've been looking for some kind of string command or format command in conky, but so far no joy. I'd be happy to upload the config file if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by mhumm2; Dec 26, 2018, 01:18 PM.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Oh, BTW. I cheated on the "KDE Plasma 5.12.6" because I can't find any cli command or text output that I can use to display that information, that way. If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to read them. Thanks.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
      Oh, BTW. I cheated on the "KDE Plasma 5.12.6" because I can't find any cli command or text output that I can use to display that information, that way. If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to read them. Thanks.
      I have:

Code:
      ${color1}${alignc}Desktop: Plasma ${execi 65000 plasmashell -v | awk '{print $2}'}
      Click image for larger version

Name:	615b4e2ae2.png
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	644081

but that is assuming I am always running plasma.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

It's better than my hack. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Something like this?

${execi 6000 cat /proc/swaps |grep -m 1 'zram0' |awk '{print $4" / "$3 /1024/1024 " MB"}'}
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 27, 2018, 10:50 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I figured out how to display my NAS drive under Disk Usage > Data, but only when it's mounted to my system, otherwise Data is the last entry.
            I'm not sure what this means exactly. Obviously, you have to have a drive mounted before you can see how much used/free space there is. Do you mean nothing is displayed after "Data" is the NAS if not mounted?

Please Read Me

Comment

Conky's nice looking, and I've tried it a few times, but I've never kept it more than a few days. There's nothing there that inxi won't reveal, if needed/wanted.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                Conky's nice looking, and I've tried it a few times, but I've never kept it more than a few days. There's nothing there that inxi won't reveal, if needed/wanted.
                I too have had an on-off relationship with conky. For a time, I had it all - all the drive space, processes, weather, network traffic, blah, blah, blah. Then I realized I never looked at it so I killed it. Frankly, half of what we needed conky for in the past have been taken over by widgets and other ways to get the info.

I have recently brought it back because I needed it to trouble-shoot a problem I was having and then discovered a couple small uses for it. I added one or two more things over a few weeks, then left it be. It serves it's purpose.

Please Read Me

Comment

That's cool, and looks like it's quite configurable. Just haven't found that real need to have something staring me in the face when I don't need it
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

WHAT ?!?
                    There's nothing there that inxi won't reveal, if needed/wanted.
                    Just haven't found that real need
                    ...Other widgets...
                    What are you people talking about? It's not about NEED or WANT! Do people climb mountains because they NEED to, NO, they don't! Do people not buy the sexy sports car or the luxury SUV because a kia can get them from point A to B, NO they don't!

I didn't spend over 20 hours of my life configuring conky because I NEEDED it! I DID IT BECAUSE IT WAS FUN AND IT LOOKS SEXY ON MY MONITOR! THAT'S WHY I DID IT!

Whoo, I'm glad that's off my chest. Actually it's nice to see some of the systems statuses at a glance. Besides I had to fill this brand new 32" monitor up with something <grin>. I'm okay now. Really guys, I don't think I need another intervention yet.

Oh, and BTW, oshunluver is a steady-handed, steely-eyed awk guru! Thanks oshunluvr, the awk switches worked well.

Comment

mhumm2's public nuttiness aside , I use conky to watch my RAM and CPU usage, notify me if I've forgotten to make a snapshot or backup, and show me my external IP address (so I can tell at an glance if my VPN is on), monitor drive usage, and notify me if a reboot is required after an update. The thing that's really cool about conky is it just sits there. I can glance at it when I want but it is literally a part of the desktop when I'm not looking at it.

The hard part is to not continually fiddle with it. Talk about a rabbit hole! I use colors for my stats so that each stat becomes more visible as it reaches it's upper limit.

Here's what I mean:

In the config section;
                      Code:
                          color1 = 'dimgrey',
                          color2 = 'grey',
                          color3 = 'green',
                          color4 = 'gold1',
                          color5 = 'firebrick1',
                      Then in the lines;

Code:
                      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]CPU 8:${alignr}$color${cpu cpu8} ${color1}${if_match ${cpu cpu8}>29}${color2}${endif}${if_match ${cpu cpu8}>49}${color3}${endif}${if_match ${cpu cpu8}>69}${color4}${endif}${if_match ${c[/COLOR]
                      pu cpu8}>89}${color5}${endif}${goto 0}${offset 100}${cpubar cpu8 3,150}${color1}
                      [/FONT]
                      That's one line! See what I mean? Each level of CPU usage changes color as it gets larger.

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr, very cool! I like the if_match x > y statements. That's some nice coding. And you're absolutely correct; it's difficult not to continually fiddle with it. I suppose that's the perfectionists in us.

BTW, I meant to ask if you've completely recovered from the storm? I know New Bern NC got hit hard. My wife was born there so we notice when it comes across the news.

Comment

Not yet, but thanks for asking. We live on the Trent river and our whole neighborhood suffered a 12 foot rise in water. I'm not living in my home and probably won't be until early summer. But I have a place to live for the time being, I had good insurance, and everything that mattered evacuated with me and we survived. There are folks here much worse off, so I count my blessings and move on.

Please Read Me

Comment

That's good. Thoughts and prayers continue.

Comment

Well, I could use some hammers and drywall, but thanks!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X